PDA

View Full Version : N800 remote like Sonos?

jkadragich
2007-05-04, 14:09
Please resolve this question for me. I'm trying to decide btwn sonos and SB, and I know you guys are all SB devotees, but I REALLY like the sonos remote and I need to be able to run system remotely and it would be great to see playlists, pick songs etc on remote. If all I need to do to make SB like sonos is to buy N800 Nokia remote and figure out (I am NOT a techie) how to load necessary software (that 770 "skin" everyone talks about?) so I can see and talk to my pc server, then I'm good to go, I think. Also, assume range of SB and the N800 is same as my laptop within home wireless a/b/g network? Please advise, and thanks...Jeff

aubuti
2007-05-04, 14:46
You don't need to load any software on the N800. The Nokia770 skin comes with slimserver, which is the software that runs on the computer that holds your music library, and serves the music to the squeezebox. When setting up slimserver, select the Nokia770 skin as your default. The N800 comes with a web browser, called Opera, that is optimized for the N800 screen resolution. Point the browser to your computer running slimserver (i.e., type in the address http://yourslimserver:9000), where 'yourslimserver is the computer name or IP address of the computer running slimserver, and away you go.

I can't say how closely this approximates the Sonos remote experience. I've never used an N800, and I've only played a little with the Sonos at a local audio store (it was pretty unsatisfying).

bklaas
2007-05-04, 14:56
an N800 with slimserver is not a difficult combination to figure out. Get your N800 hooked up to your home wifi network (yes, it will have the range of your laptop), then point the N800 browser to http://your.PCs.ip.address:9000/Nokia770/ (replace your.PCs.ip.address with the ip address of your PC running slimserver).

I wrote up a fair bit about configuring the 770 (800's predecessor) a while back. Most if not all of the advice still stands-
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimserverAndNokia770

Points about your two choices:

Sonos remote is dedicated to one job, therefore should (in theory) do it very well. I have not had a hands-on with the remote, but I've heard that the satisfaction is pretty high.

I just got my hands on an N800 (I'd previously had a 770), and it's really a slick device. It does SO MUCH more than for use as a slimserver remote. It is: a streaming media player (canola is super super nice), a working voip phone (gizmo project, possibly skype to come), a webcam IM chatter (google talk, N800 has an integrated webcam), an email reader, an rss feed aggregator, an FM radio, a very usable web browser, a pdf reader, an ebook reader, etc. etc.. Oh yeah, it's got a clock too.

A recommendation before you buy-- download the (free) slimserver, install it on your computer, launch the (free) softsqueeze (software emulator for squeezebox), and then point your PC's Firefox or the browser of your choice to http://your.PCs.ip.address:9000/Nokia770/
and give it a test-ride. The interaction you have on your desktop browser will be pretty close to what you'd experience on an N800, since that's just a web browser (Opera) as well.

I'm very pleased with how the N800 has been working as a slimserver remote. I have no means of comparing against Sonos, but I like how the N800/Nokia770 skin/Squeezebox combination works very well (of course I'm a little biased, since I put the Nokia770 skin together).

cheers,
#!/ben

jkadragich
2007-05-04, 15:26
Thanks very much for the replies so far. Still would like to hear from someone who has compared the two (or at least 770 to sonos controller). I have been reading incessantly about the differences between sonos and SB, but it seems like the biggest advantage for sonos is it's controller. However, their controller costs $399, just like the N800 (which may even be less after discounts), but as you said, the N800 can do SOOO much more, it's almost (no it is) a no-brainer if the 800 can do what the sonos controller can do with respect to hand-held visual song search, selection,cover art, etc (and of course speed). It just strikes me as such a marketing miss for SB not to just offer a package with a preconfigured N800 or N800-lite version and blow the doors off this comparison. Am I missing something here? Please enlighten this newbie. Thanks again. Jeff

mrfantasy
2007-05-04, 15:36
While it's Slim Devices/Logitech's policy not to comment on new hardware, I'm not a Slim Devices employee and it doesn't take a significant intuitive leap to figure out what the Jive Platform (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34940) may be for. I'm not suggesting you wait, but you could run Jive on the N800, perhaps, and then, well, whatever may come next. . .

aubuti
2007-05-04, 21:02
Along the same lines as MrFantasy's post, note that Harmony remotes are also part of the Logitech family. So rather than do some bundle deal with the N800, they're probably working up something similar with the Harmony remotes on the Jive platform. That way they have tighter control over the pairing of SB+Harmony remote, and they make the profit on both the SB *and* the remote.

Balthazar_B
2007-05-05, 09:48
You last two guys took the words right out of my mouth...I was going to as the OP, "Are you planning to get a universal remote soon?". :)

corbey
2007-05-06, 08:16
With the white Squeezebox currently on sale for $250 and the N800 available for as little as $375 in the US, you could have a very nice two-room system for $875.

Note that unlike the Sonos system, which requires one player to have a wired connection to your router, you can position the Squeezeboxes anyplace in your wireless network.

Balthazar_B
2007-05-06, 11:19
Only thing I'd add is that if you have a very large (or growing to be a very large) music library, Sonos is probably not your best bet. Check out the forums at sonos.com for more on this.

Way I see it, they're a little like the AMT: the limit will just snag more and more people over time unless the underlying architecture is changed.

Nikhil
2007-05-06, 13:28
Thanks very much for the replies so far. Still would like to hear from someone who has compared the two (or at least 770 to sonos controller). I have been reading incessantly about the differences between sonos and SB, but it seems like the biggest advantage for sonos is it's controller. However, their controller costs $399, just like the N800 (which may even be less after discounts), but as you said, the N800 can do SOOO much more, it's almost (no it is) a no-brainer if the 800 can do what the sonos controller can do with respect to hand-held visual song search, selection,cover art, etc (and of course speed). It just strikes me as such a marketing miss for SB not to just offer a package with a preconfigured N800 or N800-lite version and blow the doors off this comparison. Am I missing something here? Please enlighten this newbie. Thanks again. Jeff

Jeff,

I have both, and I actually end up using the SqueezeBox with its original remote the most often. When I am sitting at my Mac or PC, I tend to use the Nokia skin or slimfx and sometimes Moose on the PC.

The Nokia tablets are great, and Ben has done a brilliant job with the Nokia skin. However I still see the Nokia tablets as geek toys, and as a practical matter, to have the Nokia tablet always on, charged, connected to the WiFi network, with opera open at the right page is a bit of a pain. If you are just looking to play or change your music - this can be a bit awkward. In that case the Sonos would be a better bet, even though I find the controller far more sluggish than the SqueezeBox IR remotes.

This topic has been covered a few times before on these forums. Please try searching for nokia 770 or nokia 800, sonos remote, etc. This post and the links within should help you get started
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33380&page=2&highlight=sonos+remote

P.S.... As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Slimserver/Squeezebox option is going to get a whole lot more exciting with the development of the Jive platform and Logitech's vast experience with the Harmony remotes and wireless DJ systems.

corbey
2007-05-07, 05:28
Along the same lines as MrFantasy's post, note that Harmony remotes are also part of the Logitech family. So rather than do some bundle deal with the N800, they're probably working up something similar with the Harmony remotes on the Jive platform. That way they have tighter control over the pairing of SB+Harmony remote, and they make the profit on both the SB *and* the remote.

Currently, no Harmony remote has a display as large as the one on the N800, not even the Harmony 1000, which sells for $500. So unless you're also looking for a new universal remote for an HT system, the N800 may be as good as it gets for awhile..

I'm sure Logitech will implement some cool interface to control a Squeezebox, but I have to wonder whether it'll have full Slimserver functionality, like you can have on the N800, or if they'll "degeekify" it some.

edckdw
2007-05-07, 06:52
I'am considering also buying a NokiaN800 tablet. My Slimerver is a 6.2.1 version , running under a Suse10 distribution. My setup is running quite stable, so i prefer not yet to update to the 6.5.2 version at this moment. I learned from this forum that the Plugin interface is different between 6.5.x and 6.2.x versions of SS, so i guess that extracting N770 Plugin from 6.5.2 and inserting it in my current 6.2.1 setup is not an option. First question : Is this correct ?
If so , i probably need the earlier ZIP files which contained the Nokia770 Plugin code for the SS 6.x versions.
Is there anyone who has this code still available ? Where can I find it. It used to be on the website of BenKlaas, but i looked and it seems not to be there anymore.
Thank you for your help.
Eric

aubuti
2007-05-07, 07:06
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the 6.5 beta versions of slimserver were the first to have the Nokia770 skin. So you'd be completely out of luck with 6.2 or 6.3.

aubuti
2007-05-07, 11:12
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the 6.5 beta versions of slimserver were the first to have the Nokia770 skin. So you'd be completely out of luck with 6.2 or 6.3.

And indeed, I was mistaken (which means I'm right, right?). An early, very non-optimized version of Nokia770 does exist for 6.2, but even the author doesn't recommend using it. See this thread, which was among a few that turned up on a forum search on the keywords "Nokia770", "skin", and "6.2": http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22526

bklaas
2007-05-07, 12:43
If you somehow find a Nokia770 skin written for 6.2, don't bother. Trust me.

Also, the 6.5 and 7.0 versions of Nokia770 skins will *not* work on a 6.2 slimserver. Sorry, them's the brakes.

cheers,
#!/ben

edckdw
2007-05-08, 02:41
Thank you aubuti and bklaas for the answers & recommentations.
I think i will have to make the step towards 6.5.x.
regards,
Eric