PDA

View Full Version : WAV playing (quality and tags)

Gareth David Brandwood
2004-01-03, 13:10
Hi all

This is my first posting to this list so I hope I'm not repeating an FAQ (fingers crossed!). I've had a quick browse through the archives and there's a little, but not a lot, of info on this subject. No mention in the documentation, either.

I've currently got a sliMP3 player and I'm considering its new big brother, the Squeeze Box. My main reason is because the spec sheets say it can handle WAVs without any conversion (i.e. no WAVtoMP3 on the fly). Great.

How does this work exactly? I'm wondering specifically about the sound quality and bandwidth issues - is 10/11Mb per second sufficient for uncompressed WAVs when streaming wirelessly? Also, what track and album information is available from a WAV file? I love being able to view track, album, year, artist (etc) information and wouldn't want to lose this.

I know AudioGrabber inserts such information into WAVs but what, if anything, does the Squeeze Box display? Does it just read the file name and split it up?

Many thanks

Gareth

jacobdp
2004-01-04, 09:11
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:10:45 -0000, you wrote:
>How does this work exactly? I'm wondering specifically about the sound quality and bandwidth issues - is 10/11Mb per second sufficient for uncompressed WAVs when streaming wirelessly? Also, what track and album information is available from a WAV file? I love being able to view track, album, year, artist (etc) information and wouldn't want to lose this.

Well, a CD-quality (44.1kHz, 16bit, stereo) WAV takes about 1.4
megabits per second, so that shouldn't be a problem with wired or
wireless.

More than one simultaneously playing may start to be an issue, though.

- Jacob

--
"Terminak #3 has bad keyboard. Pkease fix."