PDA

View Full Version : Library corrupted if NAS switched off

andy b
2007-05-03, 04:02
Hi, We've been having problems with tracks in the library disappearing, and I think we've traced it to a problem that occurs if we forget to switch on our NAS (where the music files live).

Briefly:

If we try to play an album and the NAS is switched off, it fails to play as you'd expect.

Then we switch the NAS on, and we search for the album again and it appears.

Then we press play, and the first track only plays.

If we look at the library, we find 3 entries for the album (instead of one) and none of the entries has more than one track.

Even if we restart the server, the database seems screwed. The only way we can fix it is to rescan the entire library from scratch.

Surely if the NAS is switched off, it shoudn't do anything to the music library?

-----------

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.0.2
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

mherger
2007-05-03, 05:35
> Surely if the NAS is switched off, it shoudn't do anything to the music
> library?

AFAIK SlimServer will try to keep its database up to date with your
collection. If it finds a song has disappeared, it's removed from the
library (or should be). If you shut down your NAS, SlimServer won't find
any of your songs -> they'll be removed.

You really shouldn't do that.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

andy b
2007-05-04, 01:10
>AFAIK SlimServer will try to keep its database up to date with your collection.

Really? Well it doesn't! And if what you're saying is right, what's the point of the option in the server settings to 'scan for new and changed music'?

(By the way, once this problem has occurred, this does *not* work - we need to rebuild the library from scratch).

>If it finds a song has disappeared, it's removed from the library (or should be).

Well what actually happens is that the album which doesn't play ends up duplicated twice (giving a total of 3 entries for the album), each of which shows a single track - which *does* play.

So it neither removes all the 'missing' tracks, nor keeps in sync with what it can see (i.e. the tracks disappearing with the NAS off only to appear later with the NAS on).

Under no circumstances could this be described as 'right'.

>If you shut down your NAS, SlimServer won't find
any of your songs -> they'll be removed.

Well that isn't what happens either.

>You really shouldn't do that.

In the real world, with an increasing number of people using NAS, it's going to happen very frequently.

Why? Well, you can save a large amount of money in your home by switching electronics off at night. That's what we and more people are doing.

Sometimes we only want to listen to the radio one day - there's no need for us to have a box of discs with our music library on at all in that circumstance, so it seems silly to waste that electricity to avoid a piece of software screwing up a library.

A NAS can be unavailable for other reasons, for example if a disc goes down and the user swaps it, or if a network problem makes the NAS disappear from the network... It isn't just people forgetting to switch it on or purposefully leaving it off that is the only possibility.

If I turn the television on without remembering to turn on my set-top-box, I don't expect to lose all my channels...

------
Suggestion:

If there *is* an attempt by the software to scan automatically for changes to the library, then all that needs to be added is a toggle to disable it. We've never noticed our library being automatically updated anyway, and it's news to us that this functionality is there. Is it really? Doesn't work very well if it is there...

I'm sure people are quite happy to use the rescan options to manually update their library after having ripped some new albums.

It seems crazy to *assume* that the only reason a library file might not be available is because the user deleted it. If someone wants this 'auto delete' facility, fine, but surely it need not be forced on everyone.

mgh
2007-05-06, 07:43
I have a very similar problem. Not sure if it is for the same reason, but probably so.

In my case, so far I have not had to rescan my entire library. I have been able to scan for changes, and it has "found" lost music.

I am also disappointed in finding multiple entries for the same album. I also get one track left for a particular album, after rescanning I get the entire album again. Unfortunately, in one case anyway, I still get the listing for the album with just the one track also, so have two entries when browsing.

I guess I would say I love the SB, but maybe I don't love SS.

andy b
2007-05-06, 09:58
Just a comment about 'look for new and changed music' versus the rebuild from scratch option:

In the past we've not had much luck with the 'look for new and changed music' - we're not sure why, but we just gave up with it in the end and now rebuild the library every so often - no big deal.

It might be that whatever we're doing wrong with this feature may explain why you got it to fix the missing tracks issue (if not the duplicated album entries).

If you find out anything don't forget to add it to this topic!

andy b
2007-05-13, 01:36
How do I report this as a possible bug?

I can't see a link to a 'report bug' screen.

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-14, 12:31
http://bugs.slimdevices.com

You'll need to create an account.