PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Internet Radio Breaking Up

Elaine Shriver
2004-01-03, 11:40
I have just set up a Sqeezebox and am having trouble with many iTunes internet radio stations breaking up (i.e. the sound goes off and on every few seconds). Those that have this problem seem to be transmitting at more than 56 kbps. This essentially makes internet radio useless. Am I not setting up something correctly? I am using a 900 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, XP Home, wireless Linksys 2.4 GHz 801.11b router. I have connected the router to the Squeezebox with an ethernet cable and still observe the same problem. iTunes stations that work - CelticMelt I, iTunes stations that do not work: Highlander Radio, Magnatune Classical.

John Shriver
2004-01-04, 11:54
Internet radio does not work properly on my newly installed Squeezebox. Is this a rare problem, or are most squeezebox users not using internet radio? There are only a couple of entries in the discussion group related to this problem, and they indicate that it is associated with a wireless connection. However, I have found that it remains after connecting the sqeezebox to my router with an ethernet cable. I have upgraded the Slimserver software to the Jan 4 build (5.0.3) with no effect. I have also accessed radio stations as described in the online help without dragging the connections from the iTunes list. These stations work fine in Winamp or iTunes (at 128 kbps) when run through my computer sound card to digital speakers, but then breakup or stutter when run though the squeezebox to my stereo. Standard MP3 files (128 kbps) play fine on the squeezebox so it would appear to not be related to a transmission problem or firewall setting. The problem is most severe with 128 kbps radio, but it also occurs with even 24 kbps stations. Is there a buffer setting for the squeezebox? Is this a known problem, or something peculiar to my setup?
----- Original Message -----
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 12:40 PM
Subject: [slim] Trouble with Internet Radio Breaking Up

I have just set up a Sqeezebox and am having trouble with many iTunes internet radio stations breaking up (i.e. the sound goes off and on every few seconds). Those that have this problem seem to be transmitting at more than 56 kbps. This essentially makes internet radio useless. Am I not setting up something correctly? I am using a 900 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, XP Home, wireless Linksys 2.4 GHz 801.11b router. I have connected the router to the Squeezebox with an ethernet cable and still observe the same problem. iTunes stations that work - CelticMelt I, iTunes stations that do not work: Highlander Radio, Magnatune Classical.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------