PDA

View Full Version : Compilation Issue / JRiver Tagging

patherb2
2007-05-01, 09:17
Hi All,
I am having the issue where compilation albums appear multiple times (for each artist in the album). I've done some research and still can't figure out what is wrong. Here's the situation:

Slimserver 6.3.1 (Slimserver 6.5.1 does not work with my Windows Vista Basic)

Comipilation behavior settings in Slimserver:
"Group compilation albums together"
"List albums by band"

All ripping and tagging was done with JRiver Media Center 12. JRiver tags compilation albums as follows:

Mix Album - 1
Album Type - Multiple artists (complete)
Album Artist (auto) - (Multiple Artists)

Of these three fields only Album Artist (auto) is editable. There are also a couple of possibly relevant tags that are unused: Band, Album Artist

As far as the file structure in my library goes, all compliations are grouped into a folder called "Assorted". Within this folder, each album has it's own folder ie Assorted/The Big Lebowski Sndtrk/songs. From what I've read, this seems to be the proper directory setup.

This is very frustrating, please let me know what I'm missing. All feedack is greatly appreciated. Regards
Jim

patherb2
2007-05-01, 15:04
Please help before I lose my mind. This issue is the only thing that is keeping me from being 100% happy with my Squeezebox.

MrC
2007-05-01, 15:18
I don't recall, but you may need to rename your Assorted folder to Various Artists. I believe slimserver has specific logic to use that folder name.

I haven't used 6.3 in a long time, and have been using the 6.5.x or 7.0 series for a while. Various Artists seems to work just fine for me.

There is also a setting where you can name the Various Artists folder to your choice. Look in Server Prefs->Behavior for the text: When compilation albums are grouped together, they appear under "Various Artists" by default. You can change that name below.)

Try a quick change of that field and a complete rescan to see if that helps. Otherwise, try a rename of your Assorted folder and a complete rescan with the above field empty.

MrC

patherb2
2007-05-01, 15:43
Tks. Trying it now. Will keep you posted.

patherb2
2007-05-01, 16:42
Tried both. No luck. Any other thoughts?

patherb2
2007-05-01, 19:17
I also tried changing the name of the tag from "Mix album" to "Compilation". No joy there as well