PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Recommendations for speakers and power for SB3 in Kitchen

kennyschiff
2007-04-29, 10:04
I am renovating my kitchen (about 15' x 22') and right now it's stripped to bare walls. I want to put in speakers and some sort of amplification/power that will attached to a Squeezebox that I intend on installing in there.

I am thinking 4 in ceiling speakers and a sub woofer, but can be convinced to do otherwise if it makes sense. I don't want to spend a ton. There is an a desk area that will be put in, and I imagine the sub would go underneath it. Floor will be tile.

What do you think will work well, given my interests?

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-29, 10:29
I've never heard good things about in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. They are expensive, inflexible and don't sound very good.

It would probably be a better idea to put in a cable run and use bookshelf speakers on wall mounts.

Then again, I've never done this before. I'm just going from what I have read here and at AVS Forum.

CatBus
2007-04-30, 11:11
I have an SB3 in my kitchen, FWIW. But my approach is "budget".

It will be very easy to overkill on a project like this--consider that the kitchen is likely to be a room that's acoustically horrible (e.g. tile floors...) even when quiet. And with cooking, dishwasher, microwave, running water and all the things going on that would justify your presence in the kitchen, it's never going to be quiet.

So consider two speakers and no sub. Or even merge everything to mono. This is not a listening room--it's a "I'm stuck in the kitchen but I don't want to miss out entirely on what's playing" room. Buy accordingly.

In my kitchen (again, a "budget" approach), I have an SB3 mounted out of the way with a 5.1 speaker mount from Radio shack. I've got a power supply there, and that powers both the SB3 and a mono powered speaker (Tivoli iPal). The sound is "good enough" considering all of the inherent environmental problems. What I really wish I had been able to do is run ethernet to the SB3 so I didn't have to rely on wireless. Yes, on the odd occasion I'm listening to music in the kitchen when there's no environmental noise, I do think the sound isn't that great--but that's pretty rare.

ds2021
2007-04-30, 13:04
In my kitchen, I put an SB3 and Audioengine A5 speakers. The sound quality of this combination is exceptional. As the A5s are small, they would occupy no more space than a typical subwoofer. They sit on top of the upper cabinets along with the SB3. Although the kitchen is not the ideal location to listen to music, it is where a good portion of music is heard, and I regret not having set it up like this earlier.

shadowboxer
2007-04-30, 13:52
In my kitchen, I put an SB3 and Audioengine A5 speakers. The sound quality of this combination is exceptional. As the A5s are small, they would occupy no more space than a typical subwoofer. They sit on top of the upper cabinets along with the SB3. Although the kitchen is not the ideal location to listen to music, it is where a good portion of music is heard, and I regret not having set it up like this earlier.

I have the exact same kitchen set-up. sounds quite good, a reasonably inexpensive setup. The SB sits on a shelf, wires teased through a small hole in the back and the speakers nearly hidden on top fo the shelves, with all wiring hidden behind.

-dale

Squirrel
2007-04-30, 15:11
I have an SB3 sat on top of the kitchen units, cables running through the wall to the server room (which conveniently backs onto the kitchen). I've fitted a pair of APart 8" co-axial speakers into the ceiling which run off a Kenwood KA-3020SE amplifier (which was sitting in the pile of unused kit).

Got a similar setup in my bathroom, only here I've built an enclosure for the SB3 to sit in. Same speakers as in the kitchen running off a Technics SU-VX600 amplifier (again left over from a previous system upgrade).

Sounds pretty good - ok, not strictly "hi-fi" but far better than the alternative of having a portable "ghetto blaster" type thing sat in the kitchen.

peter
2007-05-05, 10:21
CatBus wrote:
> I have an SB3 in my kitchen, FWIW. But my approach is "budget".
>
> It will be very easy to overkill on a project like this--consider that
> the kitchen is likely to be a room that's acoustically horrible (e.g.
> tile floors...) even when quiet. And with cooking, dishwasher,
> microwave, running water and all the things going on that would justify
> your presence in the kitchen, it's never going to be quiet.
>

For most kitchens that's probably true. I have the same exact setup in
my kitchen and bedroom. The music sounds far better in the bedroom.

> So consider two speakers and no sub. Or even merge everything to mono.
> This is not a listening room--it's a "I'm stuck in the kitchen but I
> don't want to miss out entirely on what's playing" room. Buy
> accordingly.
>

Merging to mono is taking it a little too far IMHO. The acoustics aren't
great but they're not *that* bad either.

Regards,
Peter