PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Artist

MikV
2007-04-29, 08:14
OK, here's a strange one. I have one artist that does not want to be placed where he belongs. He is Max Richter. Instead of showing up with the other Max's in the M's, he wants to hang out under Richie Sambora in the R's. I've cleared out all bogus tag information with Media Monkey, I-tunes, Winamp, and MP3tag. I can even rename Max Richter to Donald Duck and he'll still show up under Richie Sambora.
This isn't a major problem, obviously, but it's really annoying that I can't fix it. All my other artists are sorted properly as far as I know. Ideas anyone?

amcluesent
2007-04-29, 09:23
>Ideas anyone<

I'd guess there remains another tag. Have you really used mp3tag to show all the tags (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE,...) in the file.

Failing that, try using foobar2000 to rewrite the tags.

MikV
2007-04-29, 11:23
I listed all the tags in the file. I just installed Foobar2000 and removed all tag information so Slimserver would use the directory structure and filenames for the info. Same results.
Added new tag info. Same results. This is really puzzling.

Siduhe
2007-04-29, 12:05
Could you have a stray ARTISTSORT tag ? I seem to recall this will override any Artist tag, even if completely different from the Artist.

Have a look in Foobar, or add an ARTISTSORT tag of Max Richter. Then do a full clear and rescan.

MikV
2007-04-29, 12:29
I didn't see an Artistsort field in Foobar. In MP3Tag under Extended Tags there appear to be no tags at all. I removed all tags so this shouldn't be an issue anyway.
Interestingly, I can pick any song in my library, change the Artist tag to Max Richter, Album to Blue Notebooks, and that will show up below Richie Sambora as well. It even shows up as Max Richter, and not Richter Max as you might expect.

MikV
2007-04-29, 13:26
Thanks Siduhe! Adding the Artistsort tag and rescanning seems to have resolved my problem. This forum is freakin' awesome!