PDA

View Full Version : Any New Squeezebox coming soon?

micke1967
2007-04-29, 07:32
Hi
Im thinking to buy a squeezebox.
But I am wondering are there any signs or news about a newer version of the squeezebox being developed and released for sales anytime soon??
If so does anyone have a clue as to what one can expect of a new version in the form of fuctionality design and such??
Maybe album art?

amcluesent
2007-04-29, 09:15
I'm thinking SqueezePod, like an SB3 with an iPod dock, so you can navigate the iPod contents and see it on the SB display and playout on the SB SPDIF and analog connection.

And SqueezeShow, with an HDMI output able to do video up to 1080p with support for divx codecs.

Both will exploit the Logitech expertise and have 2-way Harmony remotes with displays like the Sonos.

Marc Sherman
2007-04-29, 09:24
amcluesent wrote:
> I'm thinking SqueezePod, like an SB3 with an iPod dock, so you can
> navigate the iPod contents and see it on the SB display and playout on
> the SB SPDIF and analog connection.
>
> And SqueezeShow, with an HDMI output able to do video up to 1080p with
> support for divx codecs.
>
> Both will exploit the Logitech expertise and have 2-way Harmony remotes
> with displays like the Sonos.

Don't forget the pony.

- Marc

funkstar
2007-04-29, 10:46
Hi
Im thinking to buy a squeezebox.
But I am wondering are there any signs or news about a newer version of the squeezebox being developed and released for sales anytime soon??
If so does anyone have a clue as to what one can expect of a new version in the form of fuctionality design and such??
Maybe album art?
Slimdevices never commented on future hardware before they were officially announced or released (the transporter was announced a few months before shipping product, everything else has been ready to ship when announced). I wouldn't think this policy would change now they are part Logitech.

I would be very dissapointed if an iPod (or any other form of storage) connector appeard on a Squeezebox, it goes completely against the design philosify of the current products.

I would like to see a digital photo frame styled unit which could display photos in screen saver mode and a full graphic interface, along with album art on the unit itself :)

ddewey
2007-04-29, 12:33
Quoting funkstar (funkstar.2ptbxb1177869001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

> I would like to see a digital photo frame styled unit which could
> display photos in screen saver mode and a full graphic interface, along
> with album art on the unit itself :)

I'd buy that. All the current digital photo frames I've looked at
suck (no wifi, have to upload photos somewhere, etc). I'm sure SD
would do this right.

Not really advocating for it, but I'd buy it. :-)

Pale Blue Ego
2007-04-29, 17:42

They don't talk about what is in the pipeline, but I'm predicting something will happen around June 1st, based on the fact that it's been awful quiet since the Logitech merger and the idea that they usually clear out current stock before introducing something new. Note that the current "white sale" ends on May 28th.

Just one person's opinion.

crooner
2007-04-29, 19:31
Yes, to paraphrase Bernstein-Sondheim's West Side Story, something's coming...

I'm thinking about several possiblities here:

1- A scaled down "Logitech" branded Squeezebox, mass produced totally in China, to be sold at retail outlets (i.e. Fry's, Walmart, Best Buy).

2 - An enhanced SB with a Sonos like interface. Perhaps a color screen incorporated to the remote. No actual sonic enhancements here, just an updated user interface more appealing to the masses. No "geek" factor allowed.

3 - A scaled down Transporter. This would actually be a SB4, or successor to the present product in a more familiar "stereo component" form factor.

4 - A SB based boombox.

I think 1 and 2 are most likely, followed by 4. Option 3 is very unlikely, since a trickled down TP would cost close to $1000 and this doesn't quite fit with Logitech's marketing strategy.

And yes, the Transporter was announced months before it became available.

autopilot
2007-05-01, 03:41
Yes, but if Logitech's marketing strategy was to going to remain unchanged they would not have bought Slimdevices surely?

Something will be announced/released in a few months, i suspect a line of products is a possibility, including something like the Soundbridge Radio maybe. But a Squeezebox 4 is surely a definite because they will want to capitalise on the SB3's reputation. I think a fusion of Squeezebox and Logitech wireless DJ is most likely. I personally don't care much for the whole OTT remote screen, but it's seems to sell Sonos system well. As for the whole Squeezeboombox thing, i am not convinced by the idea. It will be too limiting IMO. If people want that kind of thing, they are going to want to take it to the beach etc, so it's going need it's own storage and thats not what these 'slim' devices are all about. A lot of SB But i guess it will depend on how serious they take the suggestion on these forums, as it's been asked for enough.

crooner
2007-05-01, 13:22
I'm looking forward to a full blown SB4 release, with improved internal components. It won't be cheap though, unless they streamline manufacturing and build it totally in China.

amcluesent
2007-05-01, 15:02
Maybe a SqueezePhone, with a Java softsqueeze client for Nokia S60 platform and customised keyboard for 'Now Playing' etc. Would have 3G, EDGE, HSPDA to support FLAC streaming from your slimserver. As it's battery powered, the reduction in jitter from the switching PSU would make it an audiophile favourite.

bludragon
2007-05-02, 01:57
A couple of possibilities exist here:

1. A cheaper squeezebox, probably with some compromise on sound quality, and maybe the display.

2. An upgraded squeezebox, at a similar price, maybe with 24/96k support, and an improved DAC.

The squeezebox is already nice enough though that I just ordered my 2nd for the kitchen.

thomsens
2008-05-27, 12:32
I'd honestly like a version with HDMI output that could handle both the audio and a screen that shows a "now playing" screen. As it is now, my AVR shows nothing when music is playing, which is very boring. Obviously more advanced ideas would include video codecs and the ability to stream video to it, but for now, I'd be happy with a version of the receiver that can provide useful info on the screen while it's playing. An ability to navigate your library with a remote would be great add too.

I have the expensive 802.11 remote (sorry the marketing name escapes me), and that would still be useful in addition to the onscreen bit. Even if the onscreen part simply duplicated what the remote does when it's controlling that unit.

slydog75
2008-05-27, 17:47
Yes, to paraphrase Bernstein-Sondheim's West Side Story, something's coming...

I'm thinking about several possiblities here:

1- A scaled down "Logitech" branded Squeezebox, mass produced totally in China, to be sold at retail outlets (i.e. Fry's, Walmart, Best Buy).

2 - An enhanced SB with a Sonos like interface. Perhaps a color screen incorporated to the remote. No actual sonic enhancements here, just an updated user interface more appealing to the masses. No "geek" factor allowed.

3 - A scaled down Transporter. This would actually be a SB4, or successor to the present product in a more familiar "stereo component" form factor.

4 - A SB based boombox.

I think 1 and 2 are most likely, followed by 4. Option 3 is very unlikely, since a trickled down TP would cost close to $1000 and this doesn't quite fit with Logitech's marketing strategy.

And yes, the Transporter was announced months before it became available.

Hey, good call on number 2! Well, except for the geek factor, I think there's still plenty of that.

EnochLight
2008-05-27, 20:24
...Note that the current "white sale" ends on May 28th..

Wait - what "white sale"? The prices in the online store all appear to be their usual..?

jsharper
2008-05-27, 23:32
Wait - what "white sale"? The prices in the online store all appear to be their usual..?

The post you quoted was from 2007

EnochLight
2008-05-28, 04:26
The post you quoted was from 2007

D'oh! Woops... ;^P. Ironically I picked up a SB3 for my daughter that sale. Heh..