PDA

View Full Version : Napster security and silm server

scologic
2007-04-27, 15:19
hi guys and gals, im having a little bit of trouble with theo whole slimserver app and my downloaded wma's from napster. Basically the security wont play the files via slimserver and whilst i've tried converting to mp3 i get a lot of pips and squeeks in the mp3 recordings. I also find the mp3's give a lesser quality in play back (tried 192bit and 320bit both can be pretty flakey).
Is there an way ti tie in napster downloads into the slim server software? or a better way to convert to a better format than using muvaudio2.5

Mark

leon28
2007-04-28, 01:21
Hi There,

I am glad that if someone tell me where can i get the traditional chinese software?

Thank you

LEON

azinck3
2007-04-28, 08:56
hi guys and gals, im having a little bit of trouble with theo whole slimserver app and my downloaded wma's from napster. Basically the security wont play the files via slimserver and whilst i've tried converting to mp3 i get a lot of pips and squeeks in the mp3 recordings. I also find the mp3's give a lesser quality in play back (tried 192bit and 320bit both can be pretty flakey).
Is there an way ti tie in napster downloads into the slim server software? or a better way to convert to a better format than using muvaudio2.5

Mark

Slimserver is unable to play napster downloads due to drm and I have no idea if there's an intention to support such playback. Have you considered switching to Rhapsody, which is supported?

Regarding converting the Napster downloads: muvaudio can convert your downloads to flac, so you might try that (though the types of audio artifacts you describe sound like they come from the somewhat unconventional conversion process they use to skirt DRM restrictions and will likely still occur when converting to flac). The only way to get files that the SB can play without losing any quality from your napster downloads is to burn the napster songs to CD, then rerip the cd to a lossless format (like flac). If you rerip back to mp3 you'll lose quality.

scologic
2007-04-29, 16:51
Thanks for the advice. but not knowing anything about flac format - whats the general info on it and is it as transportable as MP3 - ie to ipods etc?

Mark.

scologic
2007-04-29, 17:10
Sadly being in the UK we cannot get rhapsody yet.... Napster or virgin only...

Mark.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-29, 17:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flac

Generally, what you need to know:

- it's lossless

- it's compressed so it saves hard drive space

- it's natively supported on the Squeezebox

- it's easy to stream wirelessly

Unfortunately the iPod doesn't support it unless you use the Rockbox firmware. But there's not too much point in lossless files on portables due to file size and battery life issues, plus you generally won't hear the difference in a noisy environment with earbuds.