PDA

View Full Version : SB3 power consumption

RichieB
2007-04-26, 02:16
I just started using a SqueezeBox 3, and I absolutely love it. One thing I am wondering about it the difference in power consumption in the modes "not playing" and "powered off". Currently I have the SB3 display some RSS streams when "not playing" and the clock when "powered off". As it turns out, I leave it at RSS most often. So what I'm wondering is: if I set the screen brightness level to the same value, is there a difference in power consumption between these 2 modes? What actually happens inside the SB3 when "powered off"? I have left the default audio setting to "outputs always on", so I guess there's no saving there.

Maybe someone with a power meter can do some measurements?

cliveb
2007-04-26, 03:23
I just started using a SqueezeBox 3, and I absolutely love it. One thing I am wondering about it the difference in power consumption in the modes "not playing" and "powered off".

I don't have an SB3, but I did do some measurements with an SB2 some time back. Using the stock switching power supply, the power consumption always seemed to be between about 4W and 5W, no matter what it was doing. At the low end, powered off with no screen saver running and the display completely blank, right up to playing a FLAC stream with the screen on maximum brightness. In other words, as long as the power supply is connected, there's no practical difference to the consumption.

SuperQ
2007-04-26, 08:27
I just started using a SqueezeBox 3, and I absolutely love it. One thing I am wondering about it the difference in power consumption in the modes "not playing" and "powered off". Currently I have the SB3 display some RSS streams when "not playing" and the clock when "powered off". As it turns out, I leave it at RSS most often. So what I'm wondering is: if I set the screen brightness level to the same value, is there a difference in power consumption between these 2 modes? What actually happens inside the SB3 when "powered off"? I have left the default audio setting to "outputs always on", so I guess there's no saving there.

This has been discussed over and over again. The squeezebox is an always-on device. The off mode can do things like have it shutdown the audio output which allows auto-sensing amps to turn off. The squeezebox uses about 4-5 watts depending on brightness levels in the display. This is about 40kWh/year

On a side note, I have been testing lots of stuff with my WattsUp meter. My microwave uses 5.4 watts in standby mode. Seems like a lot of waste to display the time and not play music. :)

My Fridge averages about 640kWh/year.

mortslim
2007-04-26, 21:48
My biggest regret is that I never took electric shop in high school. I instead took woodshop (I made a towel holder), metal shop (where another kid put a blowtorch on my butt) and print shop (handsetting of metal type one letter at a time - Microsoft Word wasn't invented yet).

What I do is run outside to my electric company meter in my backyard with a stopwatch and time the dial spinning around with different appliances turned off and on. There is little difference with the squeezebox on or off, but I "feel" better (helping save the environment feelings) by turning it off when I'm not listening.

Curious though:

1. When you say 4-5 watts, is that per what - per hour? per day?

2. My refrigerator is 17 years old. Would I save by getting a new one?

3. One solution if you are worried about the squeezebox is to put it on a power strip and just flick off the powerstrip toggle switch when not listening. Of course if you leave the train sound on during the night to help sleep (in the natural sound effect category) you can't do that.

mflint
2007-04-27, 01:22
another kid put a blowtorch on my butt
*chuckle!*

1. When you say 4-5 watts, is that per what - per hour? per day?
4-5 watts is the power that's continuously being used - there's no time function to that measurement. Power over time is measured in terms of "kilowatt hours" - and your electricity bill will be measured that way too.

So something running for 8 hours, drawing 4 watts (0.004 kilowatts), would consume 0.032kWh.

2. My refrigerator is 17 years old. Would I save by getting a new one?

Probably - but there's no time component here either ;-) Chances are that your old refrigerator isn't very efficient, so a new one will use less juice... so it will save you money eventually, but you might have to wait a while before the electricity savings are greater than the cost of the new device...

RichieB
2007-04-27, 01:27
The squeezebox is an always-on device. The off mode can do things like have it shutdown the audio output which allows auto-sensing amps to turn off. The squeezebox uses about 4-5 watts depending on brightness levels in the display.

Yeah, I figured that the brightness level was about the only thing really saving power. Glad to see even that's minimal. :-)

Thanks for the explanation.

Paul_B
2007-04-27, 01:34
You could connect the brick to the SB3 to a timed plug and then have it turn off during the hours you are asleep or at work.

My eight year old freezer consumes between 1.5KWh to 2.0KWh per day. A brand new freezer which is A++ energy rated would probably be around 0.5KwH