PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Desires

xtremewaianae
2007-04-25, 20:30
Im sitting here in my chair I have my surround sound speakers set up with my squeezebox. Listening to my music collection thinking how great it is, not having a wire coming out the side of my laptop just to listen to my music. But then I stumble across a video I want to watch and then it hits me with 1-dimensional sound from my laptop that its not hooked up anymore. Now im at a crossing point. If i hook up my speakers again i loose the profit of the squeezebox. Im worried that the reason I got the squeezebox in the first place, to eleminate the need to use wires to hook up my speakers, would be a waste as it might lead me back to pluging -in/out each time i sit down. It seems that a solution is a small program away, all the elements are already in place. You made a solution for streaming hi-fi stereo from a computer to speakers with remote control of its functions, even live trans-coding of unsupported file types. All I see that needs to be done it a plug-in of sorts adapted to the specific systems to make slimserver capable of being a sound output, like a sound card. I use a mac and a program called audio Hijack, it has some of that functionality i believe would be needed to make it happen. I see it could make squeezebox being something cool to use to it being necessary to survive :/ Hope this will spark intrest with someone willing to see the same thing. I wish I had a lick of programing knowledge to attempt it but I dont.

azinck3
2007-04-25, 21:24
Im sitting here in my chair I have my surround sound speakers set up with my squeezebox. Listening to my music collection thinking how great it is, not having a wire coming out the side of my laptop just to listen to my music. But then I stumble across a video I want to watch and then it hits me with 1-dimensional sound from my laptop that its not hooked up anymore. Now im at a crossing point. If i hook up my speakers again i loose the profit of the squeezebox. Im worried that the reason I got the squeezebox in the first place, to eleminate the need to use wires to hook up my speakers, would be a waste as it might lead me back to pluging -in/out each time i sit down. It seems that a solution is a small program away, all the elements are already in place. You made a solution for streaming hi-fi stereo from a computer to speakers with remote control of its functions, even live trans-coding of unsupported file types. All I see that needs to be done it a plug-in of sorts adapted to the specific systems to make slimserver capable of being a sound output, like a sound card. I use a mac and a program called audio Hijack, it has some of that functionality i believe would be needed to make it happen. I see it could make squeezebox being something cool to use to it being necessary to survive :/ Hope this will spark intrest with someone willing to see the same thing. I wish I had a lick of programing knowledge to attempt it but I dont.

This is quite a common request and the short answer is that it appears not to be possible with the existing architecture.

I, for one, don't find such functionality at all interesting (and it's really quite a deviation from the core functionality the SB is designed for) but I can understand why others might find it interesting.

see this recent thread that seems to hit on most of the major points: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31879

danco
2007-04-25, 23:20
Audio Hijack is a nice program, but it doesn't really do what you want. the same people have a program called Nicecast that takes sound and broadcasts it, and the Squeezebox can then pick up this sound.

Trouble is that the it takes enough time for Nicecast to process the sound that you probably would have the audio too much out of synch with the video for this approach to be good. Still, you could download Nicecast free and try it out - until you pay it degrades the sound after about fifteen minutes.

wolo
2007-04-26, 13:54
Trouble is that the it takes enough time for Nicecast to process the sound that you probably would have the audio too much out of synch with the video for this approach to be good. Still, you could download Nicecast free and try it out - until you pay it degrades the sound after about fifteen minutes.

If you do consider the Nicecast approach...

You could use VLC to view video files, and you may be able to use CTRL-K/CTRL-L to find the right audio delay compensation to sync things up.

-Wolo