PDA

View Full Version : SB3, Laptop and wireless upgrade

killie99
2007-04-25, 06:03
Am I right in saying that the wireless SB3 can be used as a wireless AP for my laptop to connect to my network (providing I'm in range of course!)?
What I'd like to do if have the SB3 connecting to my music server by the wired connection and use the wireless part of the SB3 to let my laptop accress the wired network, only problem is that I have a wired only SB3 so is it possible to buy the wireless card and antenna and fit them myself? I don't see the wireless card listed on the Slimdevices website as a accessory so maybe I'm out of luck.

Kyle
2007-04-25, 06:15
SB3 can only serve as a bridge for the network, meaning you have to plug a device into the ethernet port to connect to your network.

killie99
2007-04-25, 06:45
ok, maybe I used the wrong terminology,

SB3 is hard wired to my network (which has 5 pc's and a laptop - laptop currently connects via wireless but in my new extension I've built as my listening room the laptop can't pick up my wireless router).
Is it possible to do the following:

Would like my laptop to connect to my wired network via the wireless part of the SB3.

If the above is possible, is it possible to upgrade a wired only SB3 to a wired/wireless version by adding a wireless card and antenna?

azinck3
2007-04-25, 07:12
ok, maybe I used the wrong terminology,

SB3 is hard wired to my network (which has 5 pc's and a laptop - laptop currently connects via wireless but in my new extension I've built as my listening room the laptop can't pick up my wireless router).
Is it possible to do the following:

Would like my laptop to connect to my wired network via the wireless part of the SB3.

If the above is possible, is it possible to upgrade a wired only SB3 to a wired/wireless version by adding a wireless card and antenna?

It's technically possible but will be awkward and not terribly cheap. You'll have to set up an Ad-hoc connection to the SB and bridge the port so it'll be a very specific setup that will only connect to your single computer--you won't be able to easily and freely associate any arbitrary wireless device with the SB. You're almost certainly better off buying another cheap wireless router and placing it near the SB3.

killie99
2007-04-25, 07:14
Ok, many thanks for the advice.