PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Miller on KRLA

NauticusLX
2007-04-24, 20:39
It's so annoying when an url suddenly stops working, such as the url for the Dennis Miller Show on KRLA. I went to the KRLA website and, whereas before the show would use winamp, from which the url could easily be copied to the favorites section of SqueezeNetwork, now it uses "Windows Media" - how can I extract the url from this? Why do radio stations keep changing their streaming technology? This is a bugaboo that I wish Slim Devices would address, because it, simply speaking. sucks.

azinck3
2007-04-24, 20:45
This is a bugaboo that I wish Slim Devices would address, because it, simply speaking. sucks.

surely you're joking? complain to the radio station!

spooley
2007-04-24, 21:05
Try downloading WM Recorder (you can use it free for a limited period). It allows you to capture the url while playing the station through WMP.

azinck3
2007-04-24, 21:15
I went to the KRLA website and, whereas before the show would use winamp, from which the url could easily be copied to the favorites section of SqueezeNetwork, now it uses "Windows Media" - how can I extract the url from this?

BTW, the new url for live streaming of that station is http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/kkla/7723/32_kkla-32_krla_0407_050106.asx?proto=http

I got it by looking at the source html of the live streaming popup.

Better yet, use Radiotime to listen to the show virtually whenever you want without having to mess with URLs at all.

TCM
2007-04-25, 06:40
URL Snooper (http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/urlsnooper/index.html) is a great tool if you want to find audio and video url:s.

NauticusLX
2007-04-26, 17:57
azinck3, it seems that's not the complete url. the ... replaced part of the url.

But there seems to be an even better alternative. Each day's Dennis Miller radio show can be downloaded as a small mp3 file (at DennisMillerRadio.com), the same day it's broadcast. So I get a portable version without the drudgery of recording in real time. What's even better is the mp3 file doesn't include commercials and traffic reports - at 40kbps, just fine for an AM radio talk show. Dennis Miller has a relaxed, intelligent, humorous show, and provides relief from the hysterical AM shows that seem to characterize the medium.

smc2911
2007-04-26, 18:08
azinck3, it seems that's not the complete url. the ... replaced part of the url.That's how long urls display on the forum. You need to right click on the link and select "Save Target As" (IE) or "Copy Link Location" (Firefox).

NauticusLX
2007-04-26, 20:37
azinck3, in the "live streaming popup", what application is used? Windows Media, winamp? When I went to the KRLA website, it played on IE, and when I went to view the source code, it was a blank page.

azinck3
2007-04-26, 22:42
azinck3, in the "live streaming popup", what application is used? Windows Media, winamp? When I went to the KRLA website, it played on IE, and when I went to view the source code, it was a blank page.

Just go down near the bottom of the blank page...they left a bunch of whitespace at the top.