PDA

View Full Version : Running slimserver on a wireless laptop

corbey
2007-04-24, 14:17
Recently I added a network drive to my system (Maxtor Shared Storage II 1TB) and was hoping to control it and my two Squeezeboxes through slimserver running on a wireless laptop, so that I didn't need to turn on my desktop PC. (I've already been using the Squeezeboxes with slimserver running on my desktop PC for about six months.)

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that this configuration causes frequent dropouts in the music. When I go back to running slimserver on my desktop PC or connect the laptop to the network with an Ethernet cable, I don't have any more problems, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a wireless laptop.

I read in one of the setup FAQs that this network configuration, having slimserver running wirelessly, could cause problems, but was wondering if anyone had a possible fix I could try.

By the way, my laptop is running Windows Vista home premium 32 with a slimserver 6.5.2 build from a couple of days ago. I had a few problems installing slimserver on Vista, but, thanks to the information on this forum, it now seems to be working normally.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-24, 14:28
There's not a whole lot you can do with a 2-hop arrangement that doesn't work. But check this out: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

The solution is really to wire at least one of the devices (server or Squeezebox) but there are a few tips in the wiki that may help - changing channels, antenna and AP orientation/location and amplified/directional antennas.

corbey
2007-04-24, 14:32
Thanks. I've meaning to try changing channels and have forgotten to do it. There are 4 or 5 other networks bleeding into my house, which could definitely be causing problems.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-24, 14:36
It's funny (well, not for you!) but whenever I mention that a 2-hop arrangement can be troublesome, someone always chimes in with a "it works for me!" response. :-)

brucegrr
2007-04-24, 17:26
Mark,

Surely you know..............it ALWAYS works for someone else :)

Bruce

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-25, 06:51
Mark,

Surely you know..............it ALWAYS works for someone else :)

Bruce

Yeah, there are a couple of things where I always have to put an asterisk beside what I say.

Like this one. Another one that comes to mind is ReplayGain in FLAC. Yes, it's track gain only - not album gain, which I don't use anyway.

There may be others that escape me at the moment but I'm sure someone will remind me if I was to post them. :-D