PDA

View Full Version : Certain artists not appearing in Slimserver library with itunes...

gavlip@bigpond.net.au
2007-04-21, 23:45
I am using slimserver 6.5.2 nightly release with itunes. All my albums, folders and playlists appear in the library. However, there are one or two Artists that don't appear in the library. If I browse by folder or Album I can find them but if I look by Artist then the one or two don't appear.

I was thinking it could be the 6.5.2 version?
I have tried rescanning and re-installing but the same artists have a problem. I have also checked the music folders in itunes and the music does exist in the correct folders. Even if I add the song to a playlist I can find them.

Thanks for suggestions.

amcluesent
2007-04-22, 00:02
Maybe the metadata tags are muddled - try using mp3tag (look for the howto in the wiki) to re-write them.

crane
2007-04-22, 09:52
SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11787

"Sting" is not listed when I browse by artist but his albums appear in the album list. I use iTunes 7.1.1 and all works well there.

I had a similar problem with missing albums on an earlier build but that seems fine now.

I have the Use itunes option checked. Don't know what other information would be helpful.

Laz
2007-04-22, 17:23
Are you running slimserver on Windows, OSX or Unix, and are you running iTunes on the same machine?

I know that this problem crops up for me because I have slimserver on a Linux box and am running iTunes from a shared folder on the Linux box - I have problems with Album/Artist case names and special characters in the Itunes xml file not matching the actual filepath.

(if you are running on windows this should not be the cause of the problem).

gavlip@bigpond.net.au
2007-04-23, 00:55
Hi

I am running the current version of itunes 7.1.1. The overnight release of Slimserver - 6.5.2. I have itunes ticked off in slimserver. All are running on windows xp and on the same server in default directories.

It is only one or two Artists that don't appear in slimserver. The Albums appear and I can play the music that way, or by folder. It also seems to be consistent.

I don't recall the problem with the 6.5.1 release of slimserver but then I had the problem of firmware upgrades every time I moved from Slimserver to SqueezeNetwork.

MatsLarsson
2007-04-23, 05:03
This is most likely a tagging problem. Use the Mp3tagGuide (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide) to weed out those ID3v1 tags that probably causes this. /Mats

gavlip@bigpond.net.au
2007-04-23, 18:03
Will try, does work fine from itunes though.
Not sure where to start, will read the documentation.
Thanks.

crane
2007-04-23, 18:37
slimserver is running on OSX (10.4.9). Itunes on same server.

This issue with missing artists appeared after upgrading to 6.5.x. Never an issue with older builds. For a while (6.5.1) I had missing albums for an artist but that seemed to resolve when I went to the 6.5.2 nightly build.

I edited the tags on all of the files belonging to the missing artist using Media Rage (it read the all the tags just fine, as does itunes), then selected clear everything and rescan everything under rescan library in server setting. No change. I see the artist albums but not the artist.

Craig

MatsLarsson
2007-04-24, 02:38
The main problem with tags is that mp3's often contain both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, and that the two sets might contain different data. Applications tend to treat these differences in different ways, that's why files that show up okay is iTunes may look bad in SlimServer. Furthermore, different SlimServer builds treat tagging issues differently, that's why sort orders and other things can change after an upgrade.

There's no reason to keep two ID3 versions in your files, so the best approach is to remove all your ID3v1 tags (while making sure that the ID3v2 tags are good). This is the essence of the Mp3tagGuide (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide) instructions. Give it a shot before looking elsewhere for solutions!

/Mats

patrickw59
2007-04-24, 05:21
Gavlip,

A little advice, don't show your email address in discussion forums!

Within no time, you will get swamped in Spam mail. A horror.
(There are "engines" scanning automatically the forums, collecting the addresses).

gavlip@bigpond.net.au
2007-04-24, 05:33
Any idea on changing your name? Can't find the option. But won't do it again!

patrickw59
2007-04-24, 06:41
I have indeed not found any option in the Control Panel to change your username.

I guess the only solution is to stop using this username, or delete this username, and create a new user.

crane
2007-04-24, 22:36
The main problem with tags is that mp3's often contain both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, and that the two sets might contain different data. Applications tend to treat these differences in different ways, that's why files that show up okay is iTunes may look bad in SlimServer. Furthermore, different SlimServer builds treat tagging issues differently, that's why sort orders and other things can change after an upgrade.

There's no reason to keep two ID3 versions in your files, so the best approach is to remove all your ID3v1 tags (while making sure that the ID3v2 tags are good). This is the essence of the Mp3tagGuide (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide) instructions. Give it a shot before looking elsewhere for solutions!

/Mats

Absolutely!

So I gave it another shot. I can't run Mp3tag on OSX (can I?), instead I tried deleting the ID3v1 with MediaRage's data changer tool. Selected the directory containing all 3 albums belonging to the missing artist (Sting), checked the Id3v1 tag box, set the option to "none" and clicked update. It said all files were processed.

I then deleted and rescanned my library in Slimserver. No change. I tried everything else I could of to remove the ID3v1 tags but no effect.

Any other suggestions? Maybe an easy way to confirm that I deleted the tag info. Am I missing something?

I guess my next step will be to simply delete the files and rescan them with itunes. Would that make sense?

barty
2007-04-24, 23:45
try the experiment that I did. See if the albums that don't show up as Artists in Slimserver have a name in the composer box in iTunes (when you do "get info"). Clear out the info in the composer area and rescan Slimserver and see if it appears under Artists. Not an ideal fix by any measure...

Nissen
2007-04-25, 03:18
I have the same problem, artist = "Jackson Browne"

I have tried the following (on Windows XP).

1. Uninstall Slimserver

2. Install Slimserver_6_5_v2007-02-14.exe (ver. 6.5.2 - 11435)

3. Clear library and rescan everything
Until now I don't have the problem

4. Change Server Settings / Behavior to "Treat multi-disc sets as a single album"

5. Clear library and rescan everything
Still no problem

6. Install Slimserver_6_5_v2007-04-20.exe (ver. 6.5.2 - 11782)
Still no problem

7. Clear library and rescan everything
Problem re-appeared - no artist

8. Change Server Settings / Behavior to "Treat multi-disc sets as a multiple albums"

9. Clear library and rescan everything
New problem - The artist came back but two albums are missing, only one "The Very Best of Jackson Browne (Disc-1)" is visible.
"The Very Best of Jackson Browne (Disc-2)" and "Looking East" have disappeared from the Artist, but appears under Albums

10 . Change Server Settings / Behavior to "Treat multi-disc sets as a single album"

11. Clear library and rescan everything
Problem re-appeared

/Per

crane
2007-04-25, 20:03
try the experiment that I did. See if the albums that don't show up as Artists in Slimserver have a name in the composer box in iTunes (when you do "get info"). Clear out the info in the composer area and rescan Slimserver and see if it appears under Artists. Not an ideal fix by any measure...

Tried clearing Sting out of the composer field... He was there for 1 or 2 albums but not all 3. Still no dice after a delete/rescan.

I'm going to try and dig up the cds, delete the files and rescan... Don't know what else to try... (I haven't implemented an organizational system for original media yet so this might take me another day.)

alZmtbr
2007-04-26, 08:21
On a tip from another thread, replaced "Sting" in composer with "Gordon Sumner". Clear, rescan. Still only the one album (of five) shows up when searching on Sting. Guess it is time to try 6.5.2 even tho that doesn't fix (from above).

And have a better look at the existing Tags...

Could GraceNotes be mucking something up??

Laz
2007-04-26, 16:53
Can you do a get info from iTunes on the albums and check if the cases of the pathname to the mp3/m4a files match the actual case of the path to your path?

I.e. is the get info paths something like ../sting/.. while the actual path name is ../Sting/..?

If this is the case, this is a bug I reported about a week ago.

Cheers,

Laz

jhonsberger@msn.com
2007-04-26, 18:18
I am pretty certain this is a bug. i currently do not use itunes and am using 6.52 todays build.Allof my my music shows up in the music folder,new music and album categories in slimserver but not all artists show up under the artists category.some artists will show up but not all of the albums i have downloaded on to my computer.it is a real mess. i dont recall this problem with earlier software versions.there are no tagging issues at all.I recently ripped the new artic monkey's cd onto the computer ,cleared the music on slimserver and did a complete rescan.the cd shows up in new music,album but not under artist! where the first artic monkey cd does show up but not this one.
i gave tech support a couple of files that im having a problem with.

i dont believe this is a tagging issue but a bug in the scanning process.anyone care to reply.

alZmtbr
2007-04-26, 20:02
Well for me anyways...

Search on "Sting" gives the results as it should: Albums with "sting" in the Album name and also in the artist categaory. In my library there was only '1' album with "sting" in the Album name - hence only '1' showing. When I clicked on "Sting" in the artist category, all 5 albums showed.

But in my manipulations I did finally get the thumbnail for 'Sacred Love' to show up!

~A

crane
2007-04-26, 20:46
Can you do a get info from iTunes on the albums and check if the cases of the pathname to the mp3/m4a files match the actual case of the path to your path?

I.e. is the get info paths something like ../sting/.. while the actual path name is ../Sting/..?

If this is the case, this is a bug I reported about a week ago.

Cheers,

Laz

If this is a bug (which I suspect), I don't think it's this one. The summary tab in get info displays a path at the bottom.

Is that the one you mean?

It shows ../Sting/.. That matches the path I see when I check from the shell.

Still planning to try some deleting and rescanning. Perhaps that will shed more light on this.

Capricorn
2007-04-26, 23:00
I think I've got a similar problem (6.5.2 nightly build).

After a Rescan I'm missing 317 (!) Artists out of 951shown before in my database. A Wipe and Rescan increased the number of artists up to 837. Because of the still missing artists I rescanned again and got again a number of 634 artists!

Only the album browse menu still shows: "695 discs with 8669 songs by 951 artists".

The result is disappointing: I'm no longer able to search for a huge number of songs "by artist".

And for sure: My harddisk of course contents these 951 artists by minimum!

So I think, it's really a bug.

Martin

Zach Anthony
2007-04-26, 23:53
After reading all the posts here, it would seem I have the same problem too. I'm running 6.5.2 - 11708 on OSX 10.4.9.

Several artists just don't appear in the Artists list. However if I search for a song name within one of the missing artist's albums, it comes up OK, and even shows the correct artist name (in the <song title> from <album title> by <artist> format). If I then click on the artists name I get nothing though.

I've tried all the tag manipulation mentioned earlier in this thread, no change.

Just having a look through my logs, found the following. Any use?
-----------------
2007-04-26 09:58:04.7309 ERROR: Can't update Slim::Schema::Track=HASH(0x562bc84): row not found
2007-04-26 09:58:04.7312 ERROR: Backtrace follows:

2007-04-26 09:58:04.7317 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 461)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Row::throw_exception (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 117)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Row::update (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Relationship/CascadeActions.pm line 30)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Relationship::CascadeActions::update (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/InflateColumn.pm line 222)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::update (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema/DBI.pm line 35)
frame 5: Slim::Schema::DBI::update (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema/Track.pm line 313)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::Track::coverArt (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/Graphics.pm line 100)
frame 7: Slim::Web::Graphics::processCoverArtRequest (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 806)
frame 8: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 694)
frame 9: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 540)
frame 10: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 11: (eval) (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 12: Slim::Networking::Select::select (./slimserver.pl line 493)
frame 13: main::idle (./slimserver.pl line 446)
frame 14: main::main (./slimserver.pl line 1072)
---------------------------

grifforama
2007-04-27, 04:01
Firstly, himm66, go smoke somewhere else. We're not interested.

And I'd like to add my thoughts that this is a bug.

I too ripped the new arctic monkeys album with itunes.

Showing up in music folder, new music and albums, but not by artist.

I deleted the composer and rescanned. Nothing.

Clearly a bug

grifforama
2007-04-27, 11:41
I seem to have fixed mine
Following a suggestion to remove all Composers, I did so, rescanned not using Itunes, and lo! and behold I have all artists and albums showing correctly.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2007-04-27, 13:43
yes you are right. remove composers name and artist will show up in browse artist category.problem is i have about 150 gigs of music on my computer and it is a MESS! artists missing everywhere. i didnt have this problem with earlier versions of slimserver software.
im currently running 6.52.i went to 6.52 because of the problem with endlessly updating firmware problem

it seem that i am having alot more problems over the last 3-4 months with this software than ive had in years.

ChrisOwens
2007-04-27, 15:45
I've created a bug for this at

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4945

Please visit it, and add any info you think is important for us to reproduce it!

crane
2007-04-27, 16:45
I seem to have fixed mine
Following a suggestion to remove all Composers, I did so, rescanned not using Itunes, and lo! and behold I have all artists and albums showing correctly.

Yes - this worked for me too... But only after I changed server settings to not use iTunes. I checked my itunes library xml file and it didn't seem to update after I removed composers.... I guess that issue is more of an iTunes bug.