PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox dropping constantly

superduper
2007-04-21, 19:52
I've been using a squeezebox (v3) on a wireless lan successfully for several months. Recently the box consistently either 1) plays for a few minutes and then drops or 2) cannot join the network.

there are many other devices on this network, including laptops and game consoles which never experience this droppage.

I've tried dedicating an ip for the box, and non-dedicating -- no difference in connection longevity. updated the firmware with to 72 (the 6.5.1 slimserver release) - no change.

router is a netgear WGT624v2 - but as I mentioned, this setup worked very consistently for the past six months, and I don't know what's changed.

I'm beginning to suspect hardware failure on the part of the squeezebox -- any suggestions on troubleshooting?
thanks!
s

danco
2007-04-22, 00:54
Can you check to see if there are other wireless networks nearby?

If you've changed nothing, there may still be a new wireless network tht is interfering with yours.

You could always try changing the channel of your network.

Deaf Cat
2007-04-22, 01:07
As Danco said, mine started to drop out in the afternoons when I was working from home...??? changed the channel which seems to have sorted it.

Must have been a pesky neighbour interfering with my signals :o

Ian_F
2007-04-22, 02:01
If you download and install NetStumbler from here: http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ it will show you the channel number that any neigbouring networks are using. Takes the guesswork out of finding a free one ;)

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-22, 07:25
See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

superduper
2007-04-22, 11:20
Thanks for the responses. There are indeed many other networks around, and I've tried different channels. The odd part is that the squeezebox actually powers off when it drops -- like it reboots or something. When I actually get it connected and recognizing the slimserver, I can play a stream for about 5 minutes before the squeezebox just powers off and tries to connect to a network, obtain IP, etc. The slimserver logs show nothing at each of these drops. So I'm fairly convinced the squeezebox itself is having a problem? Can these things overheat, for example? It feels pretty hot most of the time.

superduper
2007-04-22, 22:17
update: so the squeezebox seemed abnormally hot to me, even when off .. So I left it unplugged all day today. Now, plugged in tonight the thing has been streaming without error for two full albums (was turning off after five minutes previously)... All signs point to overheated hardware to me at this point.... anyone had similar experience with heat? Is this uncommon, or improbable?

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-23, 06:03
That is quite weird. Squeezeboxes run warm, but not really hot. Does it have adequate ventilation? Are there a lot of heat-producing devices near it (amps?) Is the room hot?

Unfortunately this is something you should contact support about. This is not normal and no one in the forum will be able to help with this.

ltb76
2007-04-23, 07:57
update: so the squeezebox seemed abnormally hot to me, even when off .. So I left it unplugged all day today. Now, plugged in tonight the thing has been streaming without error for two full albums (was turning off after five minutes previously)... All signs point to overheated hardware to me at this point.... anyone had similar experience with heat? Is this uncommon, or improbable?

My "Kitchen Squeeze" is located in a cabinet - and it runs fairly hot with out problems.
I had a problem like yours but it turned out to be the access point.
Have you tried to connect it with a wire?

superduper
2007-04-23, 21:11
Yes, it's standing alone handsomely on the top of my entertainment cabinet. I haven't tried with a cable when it's dropping -- definitely will be my next troubleshooting step. The unplugging for a day fix really threw me for a loop...

superduper
2007-04-23, 21:12
I had a problem like yours but it turned out to be the access point.

Was the fix to use a different channel, or what?

peejay
2007-04-24, 04:24
Yes, it's standing alone handsomely on the top of my entertainment cabinet. I haven't tried with a cable when it's dropping -- definitely will be my next troubleshooting step. The unplugging for a day fix really threw me for a loop...

Don't be fooled by the old' leaving it off for a day' fix. When I was having wireless dropout problems, all sorts of things threw me. I would move the squeezebox around, move the router, lay stones carved with ancient spells lettered in runes around the device etc etc :-) I had a few other wireless networks in the vicinity and in the end changing the channel of the router fixed my woes. But believe me I even thought about returning the unit. I expect the cable debug step will prove your unit is OK. Every now and again a person standing in direct line of site between the wireless router and the SB3 causes dropout, but only when playing FLAC, not MP3...I'm serious and the effect is reproducible...so be prepared for some serious debugging.