PDA

View Full Version : Using Squeezebox with the ReadyNAS

amalion
2007-04-21, 15:47
Hi all.

I understand from the site knowledge base that there is a way of loading Slimserver directly on the Infrant ReadyNAS 600 (so I assume that it works the same on the NV+, or this bundle wouldn't make much sense). If you buy this bundle, does Infrant preinstall the Slimserver image, or does one do this oneself? And how difficult is it?

thomsens
2007-04-21, 17:51
Hi all.

I understand from the site knowledge base that there is a way of loading Slimserver directly on the Infrant ReadyNAS 600 (so I assume that it works the same on the NV+, or this bundle wouldn't make much sense). If you buy this bundle, does Infrant preinstall the Slimserver image, or does one do this oneself? And how difficult is it?

Assuming it works the same as the NV, it's simply a selection in the ReadyNAS setup screen (bundled in the image). Understand that the performance of the Slimserver web page loaded from the ReadyNAS is completely unacceptable and plug-in support is not the same as a standalone slimserver install. If you only plan to navigate slimserver from your squeezebox, then it's passable, but I've reverted back to a standalone PC running Slimserver off files stored on the ReadyNAS.

amalion
2007-04-22, 04:18
Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear that it's at least possible to get the PC out of the loop, even if it's not ideal.

So say I let another family member back up their CDs onto the ReadyNAS. If they've got a Squeezebox at their home, can they stream their music to it from my network (if set up correctly)? The SlimServer features page only talks about streaming to software players on other networks, I don't see a mention of remote hardware players.

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-22, 09:25
So say I let another family member back up their CDs onto the ReadyNAS. If they've got a Squeezebox at their home, can they stream their music to it from my network (if set up correctly)? The SlimServer features page only talks about streaming to software players on other networks, I don't see a mention of remote hardware players.

Yes, this does work. However you're subject to the Internet. You may have to put in bitrate limiting - their upload speed may not be sufficient or Internet traffic congestion/traffic shaping may slow things down.