PDA

View Full Version : Is PS3 affecting signal strength?

Jerryacg
2007-04-21, 12:00
The signal strength on my SB3 has always been around 90%. Its about 12 feet away from the router. since I've put the PS3 in the av rack beneath, the signals dropped to 40%. Could the wireless in the PS3 be sucking the signal? Is so is ther any way around this other than moving them away from each other?

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-21, 12:54
Well, it seems pretty definite - yes, it's either causing interference or the metal chassis is blocking the signal.

Yes, you should separate them.

Possibly switching to another channel may help, but of course both the SB3 and the PS3 would switch to that new channel automatically. However, a new channel may be less prone to interference.

Milhouse
2007-04-21, 15:15
Can you disable wireless on the PS3 and connect the PS3 over CAT5 to the SB, and have the SB forward wireless packets to the PS3?

Or buy a cheap 4-port wireless router (such as the WRT54GS v2 or WRT54GL, or something else comptaible with DD-WRT firmware) and configure it in wireless client mode. Connect both the PS3 and SB3 using CAT5 to the router and hey presto they're wireless, and no interference. You'll also have room to spare for another two devices in future. :)

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-21, 15:17
For that matter, the SB3 can act as a wireless bridge. Does the PS3 have an Ethernet port? If so, you might want to consider wiring it to the SB3 and enabling bridge mode.

Milhouse
2007-04-21, 15:28
For that matter, the SB3 can act as a wireless bridge. Does the PS3 have an Ethernet port? If so, you might want to consider wiring it to the SB3 and enabling bridge mode.

That's what I meant, I couldn't remember the technical name - wireless bridge - for some reason! :) The PS3 has a gig ethernet port.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-21, 15:34
Oh yeah, missed that part. Sorry Milhouse!

Can you disable wireless on the PS3 and connect the PS3 over CAT5 to the SB, and have the SB forward wireless packets to the PS3?