PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork through cell phone Internet

my2rc
2007-04-21, 11:41
Hello,

I have an Internet-enabled phone and want to create a network which would enable me to connect my Squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork.

My current setup is as follows:
My laptop runs WinXP professional and uses an ASUS WL-BTD201M USB Bluetooth adapter to access the Internet using my cell phone (3G/UMTS/HSDPA) as a dial-up modem over Bluetooth. The same laptop runs SlimServer and wirelessly connects to a D-Link 524 router. This router has two additional connections: A wireless connection to my Squeezebox and a wired connection to my NAS which stores my music.

I am currently listening to my Squeezebox as I write this, so both the Internet and Squeezebox can operate simultaneously. However, I am unable to connect to SqueezeNetwork.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks -

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-21, 11:55
I am currently listening to my Squeezebox as I write this, so both the Internet and Squeezebox can operate simultaneously. However, I am unable to connect to SqueezeNetwork.

When your Squeezebox is connected to SlimServer, it can't connect to SqueezeNetwork and vice-versa. It can only connect to one server at a time - SqueezeNetwork is just a modified, publicly-accessible SlimServer.

Connect the Squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork.

my2rc
2007-04-21, 13:46
When your Squeezebox is connected to SlimServer, it can't connect to SqueezeNetwork and vice-versa. It can only connect to one server at a time - SqueezeNetwork is just a modified, publicly-accessible SlimServer.

Connect the Squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't expect to connect to my SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork at the same time. I don't see how that would be useful. I just cannot find a way to connect my Squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork.

If a normal connection would look like this:
SqueezeNetwork
->Internet (DSL/Cable)
---->Router
------->Computer/SlimServer
------->Squeezebox

Mine looks like this:
SqueezeNetwork
->Internet (Phone)
---->Computer/SlimServer
------->Router
---------->Squeezebox

My Squeezebox communicates with my Computer just fine, but can't access the Internet/SqueezeNetwork. (I navigate to SqueezeNetwork on my Player and the screen blacks out after failing to connect)

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-21, 13:56
OH! I thought you wanted to control your player through your phone.

Can't help you then, sorry. We have such things in this country but the monopolies would charge you $5 a minute! :-) So I've never done it before.

wr420
2007-04-21, 19:59
Does the SB have the laptop as the default gateway. Are you using the routing functionality of the router or just the wireless and switch functionality? If the router is running dhcp and handing out addresses to clients(squeezebox) the SB may have the incorrect default gateway.
Is the laptop set up to route between the internet and your internal network?

wr420

my2rc
2007-04-22, 05:57
Does the SB have the laptop as the default gateway.
I put the router's IP address as the Squeezebox's default gateway, should I put the laptop's? I never knew what a default gateway represented. Should the default gateway be the IP address of the network place that is connected to the Internet?

Are you using the routing functionality of the router or just the wireless and switch functionality?
I think just the wireless and switch fuctionality. I'm using the router solely to wirelessly connect my laptop (SlimServer) to my Squeezebox and wiredly connect to my NAS.

If the router is running dhcp and handing out addresses to clients(squeezebox) the SB may have the incorrect default gateway.
I think the SB network settings are incorrect. My router's IP is 192.168.0.123. The router assigns 192.168.0.100 to my laptop, and I set the SB to use 192.168.0.150, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, DNS gateway and default gateway 192.168.0.123.

Is the laptop set up to route between the internet and your internal network?
I don't think so. I tried to run the home network wizard, but I lost all SB/NAS functionality. How do I set that up?

Thanks!