PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted: Remote access to SlimServer

jschall
2007-04-20, 16:16
On a lark, I set up a domain on dynDNS, so can open my SlimServer, running on my home PC, from a browser anywhere on the Internet.

My SlimServer is running on my home PC, connected to my Linksys WRT54G router and my ADSL modem. I have "Ultra High Speed" service from Sympatico.ca, so upload speed should be adequate.

I can open the SlimServer page from my underpowered Fujitsu Lifebook laptop, at myname.dyndnsdomain.org:9000. I have created a Player at my current IP address, with a distinct name.

On my Fujitsu laptop *at home behind my router*, I can open my little GSPlayer to the URL:

myname.dyndnsdomain.org:9000/stream.mp3

and it plays, but with lots of re-buffering, because the 128-kbps stream seems limited to <90kbps in the player.

Are there any configuration changes to the server or the player to get smooth streaming?

- Jeff

JJZolx
2007-04-20, 18:01
This is kind of a loopback scenario. You're at home, connecting to your dyndns account out there...which is connected back to your home.

This is pretty convoluted. Many routers won't even allow this. It's not surprising you're getting poor performance.

The dyndns just resolves to the public IP address of the router. You're not connecting to anything "out there".

The router should handle this properly and not send the traffic over the internet. I just tried it at my home and once I set up the address mapping and an appropriate firewall rule, it works just fine and is only

Now, I wouldn't put it past Sympatico to implement traffic shaping that slows down packets from SlimServer, thinking it's P2P traffic. I haven't heard confirmation that Sympatico does traffic shaping, but it sounds like something they'd do. ;-) (I'm a Sympatico customer too.) I know Rogers uses traffic-shaping.

If the traffic doesn't traverse their network then this shouldn't be a possibility for the current problem. Once he connects from outside then it may, but if anything, I would think traffic shaping might help. In any case a NNN kbps outgoing connection won't be able to sustain a streaming rate of greater than NNN kbps. In my experience it's generally capable of a much less, depending on the quality of the network.

jschall
2007-04-20, 18:01
I thought the fact I am inside my WLAN could be a factor in the slowdown. Thanks for confirming that, Mark! I will try from an outside location...

- Jeff

JJZolx
2007-04-20, 18:09
and it plays, but with lots of re-buffering, because the 128-kbps stream seems limited to <90kbps in the player.

If the player for some reason is only capable of handling 90kbps, then there's no way you'll be able to stream at a greater rate without dropouts.

Have you configured bitrate limiting for the player in Player Settings > Audio? If so, try a lower rate.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-20, 18:36
I thought the fact I am inside my WLAN could be a factor in the slowdown. Thanks for confirming that, Mark! I will try from an outside location...

- Jeff

No, I was wrong as JJZolx stated. I don't know enough about this to be of assistance except to say that what you're trying doesn't work for me.