PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a small SlimServer?

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-19, 19:57
http://www.dailytech.com/VIA+Announces+PicoITX+Form+Factor/article6989.htm

Has everything you'd need for a SlimServer PC and - dare I say it - it could easily be housed in the empty space of a Transporter.

The HDDs are another matter though.

This is rapidly approaching the size of a gumstix computer, which is not very flexible as it's an embedded system.

SteveEast
2007-04-19, 20:36
Just when I've got my nano-ITX system running...

Steve.

Michaelwagner
2007-04-19, 20:46
But not available yet.

funkstar
2007-04-20, 02:30
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-13551-The+micro+VIA+EPIA+PX10000GX+mobo+finally+reaches+ Akihabara%21.html

It is available if you know where to look. 230 :)

roamingstudio
2007-04-20, 02:45
Small is beautiful. I have a nice Pentium M with 1GB ram running on a nano-sized form factor... these little beasts just get smaller and smaller. If you also know where to look you start finding some with raid SATA support. Now that is TINY!

If you look here you will find more specs. 1x IDE, 1x SATA. 7.1 Audio - with SPDIF on headers. LVDS and DVI functionality (probably with an interface card). 1GB ram on a SODIMM.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/downloads/whitepapers/initiatives/spearhead/pico-itx_form_factor.pdf

mortslim
2007-04-20, 12:12
well, what about just adding an ipod port onto the squeezebox? that way you cut out the need for a separate computer altogether.

also, yamaha sells an ipod accessory that allows its high end receivers to allow an ipod to be connected and the ipod screen is displayed on your tv set and can be controlled by your tv remote control.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-20, 12:23
well, what about just adding an ipod port onto the squeezebox? that way you cut out the need for a separate computer altogether.

You'd still need a SlimServer.

also, yamaha sells an ipod accessory that allows its high end receivers to allow an ipod to be connected and the ipod screen is displayed on your tv set and can be controlled by your tv remote control.

I'm not sure I follow. Does this have something to do with the topic?

Michaelwagner
2007-04-20, 12:30
Sorry, I don't see how this helps anything.

mortslim
2007-04-20, 13:22
well maybe I don't understand why you want a smaller computer. I assumed you wanted to have it more portable, more unobtrusive and use less electricity and be quieter.

Well, the ultimate way to achieve these goals is to have no computer at all. I suggested the ipod connection because (again my assumption) was that the reason to use slimserver was to stream your own music onto the squeezebox. Well an ipod if it could be connected to a squeezebox, can do the same thing in a much smaller form factor than any computer.

now that I think about it, I guess you could eliminate the squeezebox too. Just connect the ipod to your stereo receiver.

Wow, it just goes to show that the old adage, be careful what you wish for, it may come true, applies here. So I guess to stay on track, you want to get a really little computer to wirelessly stream your own music to the squeezebox using the slimserver software. I guess its kind of like the concept of infinitely smaller, it can always get smaller, and never disappear entirely.

But, and this is why I mentioned the yamaha ipod accessory, with that product, you can sit in your chair and use your tv remote to browse your ipod library on your tv screen, thus the wireless part, which I analogized to the wireless squeezebox.

Michaelwagner
2007-04-20, 13:25
We want to run slimserver on a smaller computer. We (or at least I) don't want an iPod.

Ken Burns Effect
2007-04-20, 14:51
Here you can buy a very small PC from 400 Euro incl tax:
http://www.dt-research.com/dt166_set.htm

No internal fan, two USB ports, very low power consumption. Also available with XP embedded in flash memory.

Maybe similar products are available in the US.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-20, 15:01
The thing that's new about the VIA board, though, is that it's conventional hardware.

There are a fair amount of embedded solutions like that one. There's also a JackPC and gumstix, as well as other things like system-on-boards (PC/104).

Not very flexible and they often don't use x86 processors. That makes them quite hard to install software on.

Ken Burns Effect
2007-04-20, 15:21
The DT166 use AMD or Pentium processors.

Michaelwagner
2007-04-20, 16:14
For those that don't Deutsch sprechen, this says:

DT166LX - miniPC2 or Thin Client
With this extremely low-power (2-6W), absolutely quiet and light (400g without hard disk, 550 with) pc or thin client, you can do everything, office work, Internet, email, etc.

Then there's a bit I don't get the point of.

You can even attach it to the back of a monitor. It has a solid Aluminum housing. Supports video resolutions up to 1920x1440 (at 85 Hz)!

miniPC:

The miniPC runs all Office applications under windows XP, either Home or Professional version. It uses a 2.5" notebook hard drive.
Or you can get it with some kind of embedded Windows XP. The embedded XP can run all applications and you never have to turn it off. Applications that do a lot of reading and writing, for instance, Office, don't work so well this way and you should have a normal hard disk (well, duh!)

Thin Client:

As a thin client, there's no hard disk. The operating system is on a flashROM chip. In this configuration there are no moving parts. This gives you 100% noise free operation and no turnon time. In this configuration it can also boot up Linus (over a network I think).

There's a list of linux stuff supplied with the thin client that I'll leave out because thin client won't run Slimserver anyways.

Technical stuff.

AMD Geode LX-800 (500 MHz), equivalent to Pentium 800 MHz - 1 GHz
Notebook hard disk or flashROM
No fan or noise.
Extremely low power. 4W without HD, 8W with.
Windows XP or XPembedded or WinCE
4 x USB 2.0, Stereo in/out, VGA (1920x1440)
Realtek Sound (18-bit Fullduplex) ALC203
Realtek Ethernet (100 Mbps) RTL8139DL
wide range of input voltages (?): 5,5V-19V
gestecktes RAM Modul (DDR) (I think this means socketed)
optional WLAN (miniPCI)
Size: 13 x 14 x 3,5 cm, only 400-550 Gramm
external network part (?) 12 V

I'd continue but I have to go to supper now. There are 2 or 3 variations, different processors, slighly different housings, etc.

Michaelwagner
2007-04-20, 16:15
So, Mark, what's 400 Euros in real money these days?

Ken Burns Effect
2007-04-20, 16:41
The 166LX-HD0/512 will cost 335 Euro (excl tax and shipping) wich is about 455 USD.

1 Euro is currently 1.36 USD.

Online conversions can be done at http://www.xe.com/ucc/

(I use the Easy Currency Widget:-)

Michaelwagner
2007-04-20, 16:58
Thanks. When I lived in Europe, the Euro was only a dream.

Ken Burns Effect
2007-04-20, 17:08
And now it's a nightmare;-)

Ken Burns Effect
2007-04-21, 11:19
The Via Pico-ITX is on the Blogg:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/via-pico+itx-how-many-motherboards-fit-on-the-head-of-a-pin-254057.php

Paul_B
2007-04-21, 12:24
Ken Burns Effect And now it's a nightmare;-)

Not over here in blighty were we still have good old pounds and pence.

Seriously, I am looking forward to the release of the VIA SN board which is Mini-ITX but supports 4GB of RAM. My current 1.5GHz EN Mini-ITX PC quite happily runs Windows 2003 at 23W

Eric Carroll
2007-04-23, 10:52
Just when I've got my nano-ITX system running...

Steve,

What did you use for a case? I am interested in building a very very small SlimServer to offload my NV+ and do other stuff.

SteveEast
2007-04-24, 08:01
Steve,

What did you use for a case? I am interested in building a very very small SlimServer to offload my NV+ and do other stuff.

I actually bought the system off the shelf:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini_ITX_Systems/Damn_Small_Machine

but without the pen drive. It's actually an eBox-3850.

Steve.