PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a Linksys WRT54GL...Best firmware

jotap_66
2007-04-19, 06:42
Hi:

I have a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router...If I use listening music (FLAC and MP3) with my SB3, later (several hours) the router it hangs...I was told that this is due to much traffic...I also was told that I must install a new third party firmware. The question is what is the best firware to this...I also use several computers, but I think the problem is due to music...

With many thanks in advance

JP

azinck3
2007-04-19, 06:51
Hi:

I have a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router...If I use listening music (FLAC and MP3) with my SB3, later (several hours) the router it hangs...I was told that this is due to much traffic...I also was told that I must install a new third party firmware. The question is what is the best firware to this...I also use several computers, but I think the problem is due to music...

With many thanks in advance

JP

DD-WRT is considered the way to go -- it's free, has incredible functionality, and I've found it quite stable.
www.dd-wrt.com

Another possibility: sveasoft -- I haven't tried this one and it isn't free but you might look into it (they might offer support or guarantees or something if you happen to brick your router).

bklaas
2007-04-19, 06:58
Seconding DD-WRT. I've been running it on a Linksys WRT54GL for about a year with not a single hiccup. It's a nice step-up from the Linksys code that comes on it.

cheers,
#!/ben

jotap_66
2007-04-19, 07:13
Thank you very much...

More opinions...)

For example, I listened goo opinions about Tomato...but it uses the SVG format (that Adobe doesnt support anymore) for presenting some QoS...

JP

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-19, 07:26
Third recommendation for DD-WRT. v23 SP2.

But...what you're seeing shouldn't be happening even with the Linksys firmware. The GL version has twice the RAM the G versions do. It should not be running out of resources.

All I can say, though, is that I've never had any problems with DD-WRT on my WRT54Gv4 (essentially a GL 1.0). I had the Linksys firmware on it for about 36 hours. :-)

bpa
2007-04-19, 07:41
This article is interesting in that besides talking about the wrt54g V5 problem - it also shows up problems with. WRT54GL

http://smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26843&Itemid=51

It provides links to alternative firmware.

vdorta
2007-04-19, 08:17
I have the much maligned WRT54G and even with old firmware I never had any problems; however, I use it exclusively with my Squeezebox.

jotap_66
2007-04-19, 08:34
Third recommendation for DD-WRT. v23 SP2.

But...what you're seeing shouldn't be happening even with the Linksys firmware. The GL version has twice the RAM the G versions do. It should not be running out of resources.

All I can say, though, is that I've never had any problems with DD-WRT on my WRT54Gv4 (essentially a GL 1.0). I had the Linksys firmware on it for about 36 hours. :-)

Well, if there is a great load of traffic, the router hangs...And I must switch off and on again...

JP

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-19, 08:39
Well, if there is a great load of traffic, the router hangs...And I must switch off and on again...

JP

At this point, you might as well try 3rd party firmware. What have you got to lose, the router is barely usable for you.

Looking at bpa's link, there seem to be quite a few problems with the Linksys firmware.

CatBus
2007-04-19, 08:41
I think this makes four recommendations now for DD-WRT. Haven't used it on your exact model of router, but my Buffalo router was very flaky with the stock firmware, and DD-WRT made it very solid. I haven't had one issue since I changed to DD-WRT, several months ago.

jotap_66
2007-04-19, 09:37
At this point, you might as well try 3rd party firmware. What have you got to lose, the router is barely usable for you.

Looking at bpa's link, there seem to be quite a few problems with the Linksys firmware.

You are right

Thank you

JP

y360
2007-04-19, 10:58
I have the latest stock firmware with no issues. However there is a known bug that's described here

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G _GL_GS_routers

jotap_66
2007-04-19, 15:29
I have the latest stock firmware with no issues. However there is a known bug that's described here

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G _GL_GS_routers

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! It could be my problem...I didn't know this...

JP

2eleven
2007-04-19, 17:25
I'm a little late here, but since nobody mentioned it and I think its fantastic, I must recommend openWRT. May require a little more linux knowledge if you want to do anything fancy, but is a super clean implementation. DD-WRT is more gui-user friendly.

John

jotap_66
2007-04-20, 00:13
I'm a little late here, but since nobody mentioned it and I think its fantastic, I must recommend openWRT. May require a little more linux knowledge if you want to do anything fancy, but is a super clean implementation. DD-WRT is more gui-user friendly.

John

No, you are not late...:) Thank you very much for your opinion...

JP

Super-Gonzo
2007-04-20, 04:01
I've used DD-WRT, and liked it... however I'm currently running Tomato, and I must say I'm impressed. It's got the best configuration UI I've ever seen on a router.

A couple of cool features:

-real time bandwidth graph

-easy to use CIFS Client, so you can store bandwidth and log info on a UNC share, making that info durable between router reboots/power outages, etc. I can now reliable track how much bandwidth I use weekly/monthly, etc.

-All the UI's use ajax, so many changes don't require page loads, and several of the graphs and tables are updated while you watch... pretty cool.

grimholtz
2007-04-20, 07:41
I've used DD-WRT, and liked it... however I'm currently running Tomato, and I must say I'm impressed. It's got the best configuration UI I've ever seen on a router.

A couple of cool features:

-real time bandwidth graph

-easy to use CIFS Client, so you can store bandwidth and log info on a UNC share, making that info durable between router reboots/power outages, etc. I can now reliable track how much bandwidth I use weekly/monthly, etc.

-All the UI's use ajax, so many changes don't require page loads, and several of the graphs and tables are updated while you watch... pretty cool.

I use DD-WRT v23 SP2 on 2 different Linksys models and 1 Buffalo router. Does Tomato have the kind of support and number of users that DD-WRT does?