PDA

View Full Version : Managing compilations...?

jtc
2007-04-19, 06:11
Hi. I'm new to SliMServer and such, and I have copied some folders filled with individual tracks from various artists.

How can I prevent individual 'one-off' tracks from obscure artists from bloating out my Artists view? I would rather have artists whose contributions are less than (say) 5 songs not appear in the Artists view.

Is there a way to do this?

Also, is there a nice easy way to manage the tagging and what-not? I am guessing that I might archive a lot of my vinyl over time and will need to add tagging. How do I do this (Ubuntu Linux)?

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-19, 08:29
I would rather have artists whose contributions are less than (say) 5 songs not appear in the Artists view.

Unfortunately SlimServer is doing what you've requested of it - namely, include all artists in your music folder in your music database.

The only way to exclude these artists is to move the folders out of your music folder. Sorry.

And:

Also, is there a nice easy way to manage the tagging and what-not? I am guessing that I might archive a lot of my vinyl over time and will need to add tagging. How do I do this (Ubuntu Linux)?

EasyTag seems to be the big tagger here, but there are other recommendations on this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34505): eyeD3, id3v2 and Ex Falso. eyeD3 and id3v2 are command-line, Ex Falso has a GUI. All can be installed from the Synaptic Package Manager, just bring it up and press the search button.

SteveEast
2007-04-19, 08:38
You could create artificial compilation albums out of the individual tracks and then set "group compilation albums together". That way the "album" would appear under Various Artists.

This should work if you have the tracks all tagged. If you have SS guessing tags then I'm not so sure.

Steve.