PDA

View Full Version : SB3 and Wake On Lan?

jtc
2007-04-19, 00:22
Hi everyone.

I am planning to buy a Squeezebox of some description fairly soon - either an SB+ or an SB3 first (to try it all out before I commit myself to the price of an SB+).

Anyway, before I order anything I am keen to get the software in place and have installed Ubuntu 6.10 onto a Shuttle XPC that I have (an SN45G V3 - link: http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-546/169_read-10008/)

This appears to be working and I am able to serve music via the static local IP I have assigned, so that it responds on 10.0.0.27:9000 as it should.

That's fine (as far as I can tell) but what isn't is that I want to use Wake On Lan with this machine. I can get it to sleep and can rsume via the power button, but can't get it to wake on a lan request.

I have read somewhere that the NForce chipset actually reverses the MAC address, and was therefore wondering if the SB gives you the option to specify a MAC address (rather than static IP) to which it will connect for the purposes of waking the server? If it only uses IP, and the machine fails to wake on a standard IP, how do I set it to wake the Shuttle machine from the SB itself?

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and to the Slimserver system, so any help would be much appreciated...

john

gorman
2007-04-19, 04:07
On a very similar note, on XP SP2, I can't seem to have my SB2 wake the server up. Actually... the server never goes to sleep.

I checked on the device properties all the ticks that were suggested in previous discussions (allow wake on lan, only from administrative box), but the computer stays on.

I'm on an internal wired network, one SB2, one SB1, all on the same domain as the server.

vain4
2007-04-19, 05:34
Hi everyone.

I am planning to buy a Squeezebox of some description fairly soon - either an SB+ or an SB3 first (to try it all out before I commit myself to the price of an SB+).

Anyway, before I order anything I am keen to get the software in place and have installed Ubuntu 6.10 onto a Shuttle XPC that I have (an SN45G V3 - link: http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-546/169_read-10008/)

This appears to be working and I am able to serve music via the static local IP I have assigned, so that it responds on 10.0.0.27:9000 as it should.

That's fine (as far as I can tell) but what isn't is that I want to use Wake On Lan with this machine. I can get it to sleep and can rsume via the power button, but can't get it to wake on a lan request.

I have read somewhere that the NForce chipset actually reverses the MAC address, and was therefore wondering if the SB gives you the option to specify a MAC address (rather than static IP) to which it will connect for the purposes of waking the server? If it only uses IP, and the machine fails to wake on a standard IP, how do I set it to wake the Shuttle machine from the SB itself?

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and to the Slimserver system, so any help would be much appreciated...

john

I'm sure you tried this but did you make sure you had the WOL enabled in the BIOS?
the only reason i ask is because i'm using almost the exact same machine as you are and WOL works fine for me when using the SB2.

jtc
2007-04-19, 06:05
I do have it enabled in the bios - but maybe you'd be so kind as to post your actual bios settings here - I am wondering whether something else has 'conflicted'.

What's interesting to me is that this machine had been running a (slightly flakey) installation of XP SP2 before I decided I'd had enough and scrubbed it. However, WOL+Slimserver worked (albeit using SoftSqueeze from a Mac). So I wonder if it's an Ubuntu config thing.

Are you on Ubuntu?

I've done my fair share of google searches to find answers, and as far as I can tell I have the WOL set properly (using sudo ethtool -s eth0 wol g) and sudo ethtool eth0 shows both the WOL settings as 'g' which I reckon is correct.

Other than that, I'm a bit perplexed. When the machine is sleeping, I can see that the motherboard has some power - there are some lights on - and the network connection is 'active' insofar as I can see that there's continuity on my router and the little NIC lights are on.

It's just that Ubuntu fails to wake up. For that matter, it also doesn't wake on anything other than pressing the power button.

Hmmmmm... anyone?

Bit of good news, though: just ordered an SB3 wireless. My longer term plan is an SB+ or perhaps a modified Behringer DEQ2496 if I can get everything working well with the common-or-garden SB3...

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-19, 08:27
It's just that Ubuntu fails to wake up. For that matter, it also doesn't wake on anything other than pressing the power button.

I've had issues with Ubuntu and sleep/hibernate/wake as well.

7.04 is out today and brings with it a kernel update to (nearly) the latest and greatest, 2.6.20. I'm told this will bring hardware monitoring/software fan control capabilities. Perhaps this is the level of hardware interaction necessary to get WOL working? So try the upgrade.

I'm in the process of upgrading at the moment but it looks like I'm not the only one: "Fetching file 61 of 1303 at 40.8 kB/s. 6 hours 1 minute remaining." LOL!

peterw
2007-04-19, 10:07

The Squeezebox will send a WOL packet containing the MAC address it associates with the Slimserver host. This causes problems for users who have networking gear that prevents the Squeezebox from seeing the Slimserver host's real MAC address (the Squeezebox will send a WOL packet that the Slimserver host's NIC would ignore because the contents are wrong). A feature enhancement request has been filed, but I have no idea what its chances are of being implemented:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4664

If there's some bug in the NForce chipset that makes it insist on WOL packet contents that don't match the MAC address it uses, then you may be in trouble regardless of your network design. (You might be able to alter the Ubuntu startup scripts so that the 'ifconfig' tool would change the MAC address of your NIC to what WOL needs when Ubuntu boots, and, to be more cautious, in case the NIC remembers this once the OS is down and the PC is "off", change it back in the shutdown routine, after downing the ethernet interface.)

-Peter

MrStan
2007-04-20, 16:16
I have the NFORCE 680 chipset waking reliably here on Vista so there isn't a problem with this chipset.

Club1820
2007-04-20, 23:05

Silly question, maybe? But what's an SB+?

fast eddie
2007-06-17, 09:23
I've had issues with Ubuntu and sleep/hibernate/wake as well.

7.04 is out today and brings with it a kernel update to (nearly) the latest and greatest, 2.6.20. I'm told this will bring hardware monitoring/software fan control capabilities. Perhaps this is the level of hardware interaction necessary to get WOL working? So try the upgrade.

I'm in the process of upgrading at the moment but it looks like I'm not the only one: "Fetching file 61 of 1303 at 40.8 kB/s. 6 hours 1 minute remaining." LOL!

Mark,

Did you manage to get the wake on lan working with unbuntu 7.04?

If so can you give me some details please. I was using this machine to run SS under XP and WoL worked and brought the pc out of hibernation but now I have changed to Ubuntu 7.04 today I cant seem to bring the pc out of hibernation by pressing the power biutton on my SB remote.

If you have any suggestions can you let me know,

cheers

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-17, 09:32
Nope, never did.

Now my onboard networking has failed (I think) and the replacement NIC I'm using doesn't support WOL.

Even if I did get WOL working, the problem is with the OS, not the hardware. "Hibernate" doesn't seem to work, when I resume from hibernate the OS is inoperative - the window manager doesn't seem to come up, all I get is a beige, blank screen.

fast eddie
2007-06-17, 09:56
Oh well.

I have asked the question in the ubuntu forums so hopefully someone there may be able to help.

If I get it working I will post the answer here - it may help someone out in the future

peterw
2007-06-17, 10:03
Even if I did get WOL working, the problem is with the OS, not the hardware. "Hibernate" doesn't seem to work, when I resume from hibernate the OS is inoperative - the window manager doesn't seem to come up, all I get is a beige, blank screen.

With 5.10 and 6.06, I had to tweak some things to get suspend and hibernate to work on my laptop (especially to get the laptop to resume). Here's my writeup, but I'd also encourage you to visit the Ubuntu forums and wiki for more advice.
http://www.tux.org/~peterw/v2000/

-Peter

Anne
2007-06-21, 04:52
I dont know what Ubuntu is....
Anyway, I seem to have a little problem, it developed lately.
On the wake-up function, when my computer after 15 minuttes goes into "waiting mode", then the SB3 looses signal from SqueezeNetwork and the player shuts down sometimes.
My internet takes one closing down and re-opening before functioning normal also, so its probably a router problem. (like most problems), but exactly what is it ?
Edit: just checked the routers log, nothing strange there, only a new lease appointment a couple of times.

mudlark
2007-06-28, 12:30
Hi chaps,

I am using kubuntu 7.04 and asus machine that had problems with the Intel LAN controller.

See my post in the Linux section. I hope it helps.

M.

markab
2007-06-28, 14:19
Yup WOL is at bios level not OS, I have never been able to WOL to work on any type of nforce board small or large form factor.

I did manage to get it working on my epia CN10000 board the other day, I had to enable wake on IRQ15, not sure if the nforce bios lets you enable by specific IRQ but its maybe worth checking in the bios.

Mark

vrobin
2007-06-29, 03:47
Yup WOL is at bios level not OS, I have never been able to WOL to work on any type of nforce board small or large form factor.

I did manage to get it working on my epia CN10000 board the other day, I had to enable wake on IRQ15, not sure if the nforce bios lets you enable by specific IRQ but its maybe worth checking in the bios.

Mark

I've a different experience with nforce board. No problem with a very standard A7N8X-E (with the 10/100 FE nvidia port).

For WOL to work, you must enable it nearly everywhere:
- Bios (often "permit pci device to wake up" option)
- Driver (ethtool on linux or driver properties in windows)
- ACPI (on linux you have to play with /proc/acpi/wakeup file)

Those options depends on the hardware (motherboard, network chip), on the software (os, driver, etc). Not an easy thing anyway, but rather reliable indeed.

DavidKeasey
2007-07-09, 06:27
I just resolved a "never-go-to-sleep" issue, which turned out to be a feature of the DHCP properties of the router. About every 30 seconds, the router would poll my network, resulting in each computer that had entered "sleep-mode" being reawakened. It didn't matter how long the sleep delay was, within 30 seconds of going to sleep it was back awake.

So, the solution was to put my home network on static IP addresses. The router no longer polls to see if a new address is needed by any device, and my squeezebox will now wake up the slimserver when I press the power button.

Note: if you do go to static IP addresses, you will need to unplug your SB3 from the wall-wart, then go through the menu to manually enter the network connection information (SB IP address, gateway address, DNS address, Subnet Mask, Slimserver Computer IP address, and all that other stuff).

Now, if I could only figure out an easy way to get the SB3 to automatically wake the Slimserver computer when it has a song to play but the slimserver asleep.

DaveK