PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience of making a portable SB3 system?

jimwillsher
2007-04-15, 00:40
Background: Current house has one SB3 (wireless) and one amplifier, but with a pair of speakers in all four rooms. We control the SB3 via a browser (only ever use the remote for firmware upgrades!).

We're soon to move to a new house. The house is much bigger, and we don't have the advantage of speaker cable being buried in the walls.

Has anyone here tried to build some kind of portable unit? I'm thinking along the lines of an SB3 (wireless) and a set of active speakers, or an SB3 with speakers and a mini amplifier etc. Something which retains the excellent SB3 sound quality, but which can be taken between rooms as the need arises.

Or should I just look around for some more SB3 units and make permanent setups?

Many thanks,

Jim

Kyle
2007-04-15, 01:28
Check the DIY forum. Someone wired an SB into a boombox for a portable verison. I'm trying to acquire an SB2 for just the purpose you are inquiring about. My idea was to build some kind of case for the SB and Audioengine powered speakers. It would be pretty heavy, but at least they don't require a subwoofer. I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-15, 01:28
Background: Current house has one SB3 (wireless) and one amplifier, but with a pair of speakers in all four rooms. We control the SB3 via a browser (only ever use the remote for firmware upgrades!).

We're soon to move to a new house. The house is much bigger, and we don't have the advantage of speaker cable being buried in the walls.

Has anyone here tried to build some kind of portable unit? I'm thinking along the lines of an SB3 (wireless) and a set of active speakers, or an SB3 with speakers and a mini amplifier etc. Something which retains the excellent SB3 sound quality, but which can be taken between rooms as the need arises.

Or should I just look around for some more SB3 units and make permanent setups?

Many thanks,

Jim

i think there has been discussion of squeeze boombox, which might reveal something relevant
my "portable" choice is an ipod hifi with sb3 white on top

but now i have sb3 in living room, kitchen and bedroom ... only place left for me is office - where really i should be working !

NeilB
2007-04-15, 01:46
I made a SB boom box/ghetto blaster but it's hardly slick or sophisticated.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29761

In you situation I think I'd go with an SB3 combined with a set of small powered speakers. I have a pair of these in the office and they're just great for the money;

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

In black though, of course. :)

jimwillsher
2007-04-15, 02:01
How do these speakers compare to other "active" speakers? I already have loads of speakers from my current setup but they're all passive. The sound is great though, so I'd hope to get comparable performance.

I must admit that I've no experience of active speakers, but the thought of having just an SB3 and a couple of speakers, with no amp, is a great prospect.

Jim

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-15, 02:28
How do these speakers compare to other "active" speakers? I already have loads of speakers from my current setup but they're all passive. The sound is great though, so I'd hope to get comparable performance.

I must admit that I've no experience of active speakers, but the thought of having just an SB3 and a couple of speakers, with no amp, is a great prospect.

Jim

i'm no audiophile, but for convenience the ipod hifi is great - auto-sensing power-on and digital input
for sound, i think it is a little "muddy" (not sure of the correct expression) - there is alot of bass and very little you can do to change that
however, it is used in our kitchen for convenience more than sound quality - and with two big handles, it is easy to relocate to another room !

Kyle
2007-04-15, 06:11

Jim

Active speakers can range from computer speakers to sophisticated studio monitors of $1,000 or more. For $349, the Audioengines provide great value and would work nicely in a kitchen, bedroom or home office. Nice bass response without a sub, which really simplifies placement. You plug in one speaker, run a wire to the satellite and then hook your SB to the main speaker. It even has a power outlet on the back.

Kyle
2007-04-15, 06:19
uS;195075']i'm no audiophile, but for convenience the ipod hifi is great - auto-sensing power-on and digital input
for sound, i think it is a little "muddy" (not sure of the correct expression) - there is alot of bass and very little you can do to change that

Sounds a lot like the Bose wave radio. Have you ever compared the two? Is there an auxiliar AC power supply on the back? Also, how do you think this would sound outdoors on a deck?

jimwillsher
2007-04-15, 07:09
Bose is one of the products on my wishlist. My current speakers (Mordaunt Short and Kef) take a lot of beating, so any active speakers would need to be as good as these. I'm no audiophile (I can't tell you which I prefer out of FLAC or 320Kbps MP3, nor can I really tell any difference) but I know what I like - and isn't that what matters? If I can find active speakers that "I like" I'll be delighted.

Jim

Kyle
2007-04-15, 08:19
There is no comparison between the Bose wave radio and Audioengines. The AE's win hands-down. The Bose is extremely muddy and bass-heavy (read boomy). The AE's have excellent detail and clarity.

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-15, 11:01
Sounds a lot like the Bose wave radio. Have you ever compared the two? Is there an auxiliar AC power supply on the back? Also, how do you think this would sound outdoors on a deck?

Not compared them.
The iPod hifi uses an internal power supply, which can run off of AC or DC (with six D batteries).
I use it on the balcony (if I am not so lazy as to just blast from the kitchen out). For the size, it move alot of air. It is very much boombox first. If you are fussy, I suspect you will be disappointed. I am not fussy. It does what I want and in a form factor that is pleasing to my wife, which was key to the decision making process !!