PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer MP3 tags don't Match Mp3Tag's

Steve Nash
2007-04-13, 19:35
SlimServer is telling me that "Rush - Grace Under Pressure" is a 1987 album, when in fact, it is 1984 and the MP3 tags as viewed by Mp3tag confirm it.

Similarly, I have a "Dream Theater" album showing up as "Progressive Rock" when Mp3tag reports the genre "Progressive Metal".

I imagine there are other examples elsewhere in my collection, but I have yet to run across them.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? Duplicate tags, maybe, if such a thing is possible???

Version info:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.100
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Mp3Tag V2.32a

Thanks,
-- Steve

amcluesent
2007-04-13, 22:06
>Duplicate tags, maybe, if such a thing is possible?<

It is possible, I've had ID3v1, ID3v2, and APE tags in my MP3s and that makes for a muddle. Look at the mp3tag wiki entry http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide on this site for how to configure it to show all the tags and make it delete all but the ID3v2 when you save tags on MP3

Also upgrade to mp3tag 2.37h

aubuti
2007-04-13, 22:07
Are the tracks MP3, FLAC, or something else? If they're mp3, there's a strong possibility of multiple tags: ID3v1, ID3v2, and possibly others like Ape. Multiple tag types can be a real hassle. Fortunately the SD wiki has a very good guide on how to clean things up. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide

If your tracks are FLAC, Ogg, or something else, then I don't know what the problem might be. No matter what, first do a clear and rescan with slimserver on your music library to see if that helps any.

Steve Nash
2007-04-13, 23:30
Thanks for the info. Yes, they were MP3 files.

And yes, it's a duplicate tag problem, but between ID3v2 and APEv2. I followed the instructions on the wiki so literally that I didn't discover the issue until I whipped out my hex editor for a look-see :)

The instructions in the wiki don't seem quite accurate -- or perhaps they're just not extensible to this particular situation. If you enable "remove APE", nothing useful will happen unless you also enable "write APE". This is contrary to the instructions.

Thanks for the help.
-- Steve