PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my SB3 has died

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-13, 15:39
... in suspicious circumstances :-(

I'd been playing music for a couple of hours, and it seemed to be working fine. Then, *just* when I had to dish up dinner, and right between two tracks, the display briefly went funny ("fizzy" feels like an apt description) and then it went blank, and the audio stopped (or didn't restart, since it was between tracks). Damn.

Once I'd dished up, I unplugged and replugged the power. It came back on, and I was able to carry on more or less where I think I'd left off. Phew!

But about 30 minutes later, it conked out again, again right at the end of a track. I don't think the display "fizzed" this time, it just went blank, but I wasn't looking straight at it, so can't be completely sure.

It has refused to come back on since. I've tried holding down the power button on the remote, the Add button, the left button; and even tried the contortions of doing each of these whilst plugging the power in the back. Not a glimmer. Brightness doesn't help either. Nor do new batteries in the remote.

I'm still running the SS fishbone interface; this shows the player and the playlist, but permanently says "CONNECTING..."; all other pages (e.g. Settings, Network Health) act as if there's no player there. Hardly surprising, I suppose.

The power supply is fine (well, if 5.15V is fine). Each time I plug the power back in there's a "clunk" through my speakers, which suggests to me that at least some of the innards are getting power. The SB3 is still warm (no more so than usual).

Everything I've been able to find on here (via Google - can't get forum search to work) suggests that if there's no "splash" screen when the power is connected, then there's a real problem.

I'd recently rejigged my wireless network, switching to WPA from WEP, and enabling SSID broadcast. After initial excitement, the SB3 was a bit huffy about it; sometimes starting up when the server came on, sometimes needing multiple on-button presses (Waking server... connecting... <press on>); once - not the first time - I had to walk it back through the network setup before it would connect. If anything, it was looking like it was having more trouble connecting than before, but not by much.

Also, I'd given up trying to deliver FLAC - it just wasn't reliable enough - and had turned on bitrate limiting. Even 320kbps wasn't guaranteed, so I dropped to 256; even *then* it would lose it on occasion (maybe once per day), showing a "Rebuffering..." message that I'd never seen before. (I'm not entirely convinced this was a network problem; I had buffer level showing each time, and it went from full to stuttering and failure instantly. I wonder whether it might've been the start of something going wrong.)

I don't know if any of that is relevant.

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm in the UK, and from what I've seen here, there really aren't any repair options. What else can I try before deciding it's a write-off? (Opening it up for a look will be a last resort, for I'll have no idea what I'm looking for!)

I couldn't find any concise troubleshooting information on this anywhere - least of all on the redirected-to-Logitech FAQ; so there's a chance I've missed something else to try.

(I will try connecting it to my router by cable, just to rule out the wireless network.)

I'm pretty much committed to having my music served over the wireless network. (The idea of a server connected directly to the hifi is appealing, but it would have to be absolutely quiet and very small.) So if I can't get this SB3 working, I will probably end up buying another one. But it had better work, and for longer than 1.3 years!

My (work) laptop died today as well. Bloody Friday 13th. :-(

-- Brian

Balthazar_B
2007-04-13, 16:10
Maybe I missed it, but did you try a hardwired Ethernet connection to see if that works?

Not particularly related to your problem, but is there a HomePlug-style option available in the UK? Could help reduce/eliminate the wireless problems you've had.

JJZolx
2007-04-13, 16:22
Restart the SlimServer server and see if it makes any difference. But I think you're probably right to be concerned if there's no splash screen when you plug in the SB3. After restarting the server try a wired connection and see if the player connects to the server and can be seen in the web interface. With any luck maybe only the display died, which would mean you could still control it from the web interface and still play music.

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-13, 16:37
Maybe I missed it, but did you try a hardwired Ethernet connection to see if that works?

I tried it just now, but no joy: no display, SS doesn't find it, and the router doesn't list it as a client.

Not particularly related to your problem, but is there a HomePlug-style option available in the UK? Could help reduce/eliminate the wireless problems you've had.

I suspect that HomePlug isn't an option for us. It is available in the UK, but I'd probably need to add more wall sockets to use it! (I've read that it's not effective when plugged into extension cables - more so if they have surge protection.) It's something I'd consider trying, but only if I could take it back for a full refund if it didn't work.

But thanks for the suggestions.

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-13, 16:46
Restart the SlimServer server and see if it makes any difference. But I think you're probably right to be concerned if there's no splash screen when you plug in the SB3. After restarting the server try a wired connection and see if the player connects to the server and can be seen in the web interface. With any luck maybe only the display died, which would mean you could still control it from the web interface and still play music.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd already tried a wired connection (albeit through my router, though the same connection and cable worked last time I tried it with another PC). I hadn't tried restarting SS, but that doesn't work either.

The SB3 almost always had to be "mummied" through startup (in that I had to press the power button to wake it up, then press it again when it went from "Waking SlimServer..." to "Connecting to SlimServer..."). So if it's the display that's gone, I won't know when to do the second button-press!

However, I'm fairly sure that the router reported it in the client list before the first on-button press, and it's not showing it now; so I think it's worse than a display failure.

-- Brian

whdean
2007-04-13, 18:10
Have you tried unplugging and plugging power back in while holding down the "Add" button (Remote aimed at the SB3, of course)?

That forces a hard rest, back to factory condition. If you don't get the splash screen w/in a few seconds (Give it 30 seconds to reset the device), then I would say you have a hardware problem - But the hard reset could also be the solution.

Thanks.

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-14, 06:20
Have you tried unplugging and plugging power back in while holding down the "Add" button (Remote aimed at the SB3, of course)?

Thanks; I've tried this several times, but it doesn't seem to work either. There's a small chance that it could be the display that's gone, but I doubt it.

I think I'm going to have to write it off - though the final resort will be to open it up and see if anything is obviously loose (which I might be able to fix) or fried (which I won't).

I could look on the bright side and see this as an excuse to get an all-black model! Looks like they're quite hard to source in the UK at the moment, but I won't be getting it for a weeks anyway.

In the meantime, I can still plug my iPod into the hifi, but it just isn't the same by any means!

-- Brian

devin
2007-04-15, 00:51
If you're still within the warranty period, Slim Devices will pay for shipping it back and send you a new one. Just open a ticket with their support group.

I recently had a failure on my SB3 as well and I had a great experience with SD support even though I am in Japan.

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-15, 14:55
If you're still within the warranty period, Slim Devices will pay for shipping it back and send you a new one. Just open a ticket with their support group.

I recently had a failure on my SB3 as well and I had a great experience with SD support even though I am in Japan.

Alas, my SB3 is 1.3 years old, and so (I think!) it's out of warranty. But it probably wouldn't do any harm to get in touch with SD support anyway. This forum's been so good in the past that it was my first port of call!

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-16, 18:38
I'm in discussion with Tech Support at the moment. Looks like my SB3 would need to be returned for repair.

As it's not under warranty, I presumed that the repair cost plus postage would be prohibitive; but at the moment it's not looking too bad (assuming I've got my calculations right: $90 repair, possibly around 15 pounds postage, presumably a similar amount for the return postage).

I guess it will take a while; but probably no longer than it would take me to get a replacement. (I might get another one anyway - all-black envy! :-) Hmm, I wonder if I could get a black faceplate for it at the same time... !)

Has anyone had experience of (post-warranty) repairs from the UK?

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2007-05-20, 17:48
Well, I sent my SB3 back to SD for repair. It was far less painful than I'd feared:

19th April : sent SB3 off (postage + insurance was about 18 quid).

26th April : got an email saying it had been repaired, and was ready to be sent back. Apparently the wireless adapter needed replacement. The repair cost is $90 (roughly 45 quid); SD paid for the return postage, so total cost was around 60 quid - well worth it, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly cheaper than just buying a new one!

I could've had the SB3 back soon after this point, but we were just about to go on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I asked SD to delay posting for a while. They said they'd send it on May 11th (and delivery tracking shows that they did).

16th May: UPS call me to clear the SB3 through customs. They tell me they'll try to deliver next day. I take an extra day off to be in for it (don't exactly mind doing this!)

So if I hadn't gone off on holiday, the whole process might've taken less than 3 weeks, with most of that consumed by transit.

On the whole, I'm impressed; and thanks to the folks at Slim for being so helpful, for getting the repair done quickly, and for delaying return so it didn't arrive while I was away.

It's really nice to have it back, and (so far!) working fine. It didn't magically turn into a none-more-black model, but ah well... :-)

I now wonder how much of what I'd previously put down to poor network performance was actually due to the adapter flaking out...

-- Brian

Dave2O84
2007-08-28, 04:04
Well after 19 months my Squeezebox 3 has died. I'm getting the same symptoms as many others on here. I'm also in the UK.

Brain, can you email the detail of who you went though for repairs? I'm reluctant to write off a 230 device after just 19 months :-(

Also did you get nobbled for customs for the trip back to the UK or did Slim Devices put something sensible on the customs declaration?

Brian Ritchie
2007-08-28, 04:53
I've responded to Dave directly, but in case anyone else is interested:

Brain, can you email the detail of who you went though for repairs?

(Who's "Brain"? Had quite enough of that at school, thanks :-) )

I'm reluctant to write off a 230 device after just 19 months :-(

As was I. The repair charge was a flat fee (see previous entries); including postage, the total was about 60 UKP. I considered it to be well worth it, since the alternatives were to buy a new SB3 (risky, if my earlier performance problems turned out to be elsewhere) or to stop using Squeezeboxes entirely (not really a viable option either :-) )

The SB3 is still working perfectly; even earlier problems that looked like network limitations have all gone away.

I had seriously considered buying a second SB3 to use until the first one was repaired; but at the time it would've taken longer to get hold of one (since it would "have" to be an all-black model) than it took for the repair!

Also did you get nobbled for customs for the trip back to the UK or did Slim Devices put something sensible on the customs declaration?

I didn't get nobbled. SlimDevices paid for the return shipping. However, the delivery company used the phone number I'd given SD to call me to confirm that I was expecting the parcel, which was necessary for them to clear it through Customs.

-- Brian

dave2084
2007-08-28, 05:08
After my last post I was wondering about the Wireless Mini-PCI card ...

As Brian's symptoms were the same as mine and his wireless card had tp be replaced, would the Squeezebox work if I removed the wireless card?

The answer is YES! (though of course only wired).

Interestingly, I refitted the card just in case it was a bad connection and the wireless roared into life. It's been playing for 30 mins now so hopefully it's sorted!

Brian Ritchie
2007-08-28, 05:16
SD Support had suggested that removing and replacing the wireless card would reset it, which might get it working again. (I wouldn't have tried this if it had still been under warranty.) Glad to hear that it seems to have worked in your case!

-- Brian

Glennmcb
2007-09-18, 12:10
Thanks to you guys and the advice here, I removed the wireless card from my TOTALLY DEAD pre-Logitech SB3, and it's jumped back to life again ('though, via a network cable). Refitting the card gave the original result - nothing! No power, no display, no output.

My question now is, would a replacement wireless card need to be identical to the one removed?

If not, are there any recommendations for a replacement card?

Many thanks.

simonn
2007-09-25, 02:54
Mine just died as well. Same symptoms.

Empgamer
2007-09-27, 12:16
Do these things die with much regularity? They are not cheap and from reading here the longevity isn't great!!! I am considering getting one but this is a little off-putting.

jeffmeh
2007-09-27, 14:13
Do these things die with much regularity? They are not cheap and from reading here the longevity isn't great!!! I am considering getting one but this is a little off-putting.

My experience is that the quality is very good and that we are merely seeing a biased sample. How many people bother posting that everything is fine?

Also, most reasonable people report that the SD/Logitech service has been good even in the event of a faulty unit.

If you decide you want one, I would not worry about the quality. FWIW, I just bought my third SB3.

Brian Ritchie
2007-09-27, 18:13
My experience is that the quality is very good and that we are merely seeing a biased sample. How many people bother posting that everything is fine?

Also, most reasonable people report that the SD/Logitech service has been good even in the event of a faulty unit.

If you decide you want one, I would not worry about the quality. FWIW, I just bought my third SB3.

As the guy who started this thread, I couldn't agree more. Though I did end up returning the unit for repair, being able to get interpretations of my symptoms and suggestions for things to try here was very useful, and helped me rule out quite a few more-trivial possible causes.

Since the title I chose for this thread is rather downbeat, I considered it important to add the "happy ending". My experience wouldn't discourage me from buying more Squeezeboxes or a Transporter (just our house layout, my ungilded ears (SB3 sounds fine to me, don't feel I need anything better); oh, and my wallet :-))

-- Brian

simonn
2007-09-27, 21:09
My experience is that the quality is very good and that we are merely seeing a biased sample

I hate being bias! :) :(

Thanks to you guys and the advice here, I removed the wireless card from my TOTALLY DEAD pre-Logitech SB3, and it's jumped back to life again ('though, via a network cable).

This is what I am hoping if SD will not warranty it, because...

If not, are there any recommendations for a replacement card?

I have a spare AP which has client mode which I can plug in to the ethernet port. Not as cool, but hopefully it will work well enough (or even better than the built in wireless hmmm... 9dbi antenna!) in or behind the cabinet... The problem with this is my gf used to plug into the ethernet port when she worked from home and she has no built in wireless... more retraining.

Would probably be the cheaper/easer/less-risky route for you (Glennmcb) to do this.

Out of interest, did anyone who has experienced the dead SB3 thing also start having mysterious wireless problems a few months beforehand as well, e.g. SB losing connection and restarting for no apparent reason etc after being stable for months/years?

simonn
2007-09-28, 14:21
+1 for SD/Logitech support. They are RMAing it despite it being ~21 months old. Very refreshing for a tech company.

Brian Ritchie
2007-09-28, 17:16
Out of interest, did anyone who has experienced the dead SB3 thing also start having mysterious wireless problems a few months beforehand as well, e.g. SB losing connection and restarting for no apparent reason etc after being stable for months/years?

Yes, that's exactly what I experienced. In fact, the connection starting getting flaky while it was still under warranty, but I put it down to problems elsewhere in the network. It suddenly became much worse some days before it finally died. On the day it died, it did come back to life for a little while before dying for good (as I described earlier in this thread).

Since the repair, it's worked almost perfectly. I say "almost" because the other day I glanced up and noticed that the display had gone dark, which was usually a sign that it had lost the network connection; sure enough, a few seconds later it stopped in mid-song (presumably when the buffer emptied). But when I turned it on again, it started up OK. I can't remember the last time that happened.

-- Brian

Glennmcb
2007-10-06, 14:27

I would like to add that I have two other SB3's as well as the now "non-wireless" one and they are still without fault.

Quality is not an issue. Several of my friends and colleagues are now enjoying the benefits of SB ownership on my recommendation and demonstration.

Also, credit to SlimDevices customer support. Quick response to e-mails, and all products under 24 months old can be repaired under warranty (just keep your receipt!).

drtebi
2008-03-19, 03:30
I wonder if I can get my dead SB2 back to life again...

I will check out if there is a way to remove the wireless antenna and report back here.

If anyone has a suggestion, please suggest :)