PDA

View Full Version : Clear database and rescan for music doesn't work anymore

maggior
2007-04-13, 08:11
I've run into a strange problem. This has worked in the past so I'm pretty certain I'm doing this correctly.

I go into server settings and tell SlimServer to clear the database and rescan the music library. It rescans (I see scanner.exe running taking up 40% CPU), but the database ends up exactly as it was in the beginning. And, it never seems to wipe out the database. In the past when I would do this, if I tried to browse music as this was going on, I'd see a much reduced version of my music library since it was wiped out and being built back up.

I'm using the production version of 6.5.1 on Windows XP. My music is in iTunes and I'm using the iTunes integration (i.e. I don't have a music library folder specified).

The whole reason I'm doing this is that temporarily I specified a music folder that contained a bunch of music files that I wanted access. I've now removed the music folder from SlimServer via the server settings. I want the clear/rescan to remove the references to these temporary music files from Slimserver.

I saw in another thread that somebody had problems and was able to resolve it by reinstalling. I'd rather not have to resort to that.

Anybody have any ideas? Is there another way to force SlimServer to clear the database?

Thanks!
Rich

Siduhe
2007-04-13, 09:49
Stop Slimserver, delete cache folder, restart Slimserver?

In XP the cache is ...slimserver\server\cache. Just delete the entire contents of the folder, or if you are cautious like me, move it somewhere entirely out of the Slimserver directory in case it doesn't work out.

Should force a full rescan from scratch. I don't use Itunes, but it sounds to me like your Itunes integration setting is not updating for some reason.

If the full cache delete and rescan doesn't work, it might be worth looking at the settings there.

AubreyCTurnerJr
2007-04-13, 13:19
This sounds very similar to what happened to me when I switched from MP3 to FLAC. I changed the music directory in Slimserver from the MP3 directory to the FLAC directory, then told it to wipe/rescan, but nothing happened despite repeated attempts.

I seem to recall that clearing the cache did the trick.

maggior
2007-04-14, 17:56
I tried that, but I get an error on some of the files when I try to delete them saying that the file is still in use. This is even after stopping the slimserver server.

I'm not running slimserver as a service.

Do I only remove the files in ...SlimServer/server/Cache or the files and all subdirectories?

Just removing the files in that directory didn't have any impact.

This is an annoying situation :-(.

Thanks for your help.
Rich

hanshanson
2007-04-15, 00:45
I tried that, but I get an error on some of the files when I try to delete them saying that the file is still in use. This is even after stopping the slimserver server.

I'm not running slimserver as a service.

The reason is some process still running.
You should press CTRL+ALT+DELECT and kill the following process: mysqld.exe , slim.exe and slimtray.exe . And then you could delect cache folder.

maggior
2007-04-15, 13:16
The reason is some process still running.
You should press CTRL+ALT+DELECT and kill the following process: mysqld.exe , slim.exe and slimtray.exe . And then you could delect cache folder.

I figured it was something like that, but I wasn't sure which processes were in the picture.

I'll file this away in case it happens again.

Thanks to you all for the help!!
Rich