PDA

View Full Version : Double press of power switch to switch on SB3

hunta
2007-04-13, 05:22
I have two SB3's in a wireless setup, one in the lounge and one in a bedroom. The lounge is getting around 65% connectivity, the bedroom around 45% - not perfect, but no real problems.

I've noticed some strange behaviour though with the bedroom unit. If the PC's been switched off it doesn't automatically detect SlimServer running and hook itself up, whereas the lounge one does. If I hit the power button it goes through the cycle of joining the network and connecting to SS, but fails. If I hit the power button a second time while it's in this process, it connects straight off! Once connected it behaves perfectly until the PC is powered down.

Any explanations for this? While it's predictable and therefore not hard to live with, it's not great on the wife-friendly scale.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-15, 07:13
Try swapping the units to see if it's limited to one SB, or if it's a result of location.

You really need more signal than 45% though. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide and look at the sections covering antenna positioning, different channels, transmitter power and high-gain antennas.

danco
2007-04-16, 00:29
I have the same situation on my Mac. Never found out the cause of it, or why it sometimes happens and sometimes not.

I am inclined to think that my wireless connection doesn't come up properly and the SB has to wake that up, but I don't really know.

hunta
2007-04-17, 04:53
Thanks for the tips. I've got signal strength up to around 65%-75% on both players now, which I'm happier with. Still no effect on the switch-on issue though. It's hardware related I think - I can swap them over and the problem remains with the same physical unit.

azinck3
2007-04-17, 06:53
Thanks for the tips. I've got signal strength up to around 65%-75% on both players now, which I'm happier with. Still no effect on the switch-on issue though. It's hardware related I think - I can swap them over and the problem remains with the same physical unit.

You might try doing a factory reset on the unit. I've occasionally had a similar issue that a factory reset has fixed. (to do a factory reset just point the remote at the face of the unit and hold down "add" while connecting power to the SB)

hunta
2007-05-20, 08:55
You might try doing a factory reset on the unit.

Genius - worked a treat. Thanks, Mark.