PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Firmware/Software updates

Cleve
2007-04-13, 04:47
It seems like, more frequently than ever, my Squeezebox 3 is prompting for firmware and/or software updates.

I get up this morning - I *wanted* to listen to music while having coffee. But a message "Squeezenetwork is down for maintenance" greeted me. No big deal, just switch to Slimserver, right?

Wrong - As soon as I switched to Slimserver I was hit with that ever more annoying "Firmware update" prompt.

Even more aggravating - rather than simply automatically reconnecting to my network - I see the message "Set up Networking" which means my WEP key is lost. Again. That's like twice in the last couple weeks I've had to manually reinput the entire 128 bit WEP key - which is a real pain in the arse - it's on the order of 36 characters and not committed to memory.

I haven't done this yet - I'm still not listening to music - I'm venting my frustrations HERE first. Does anyone at Slimdevices realize how annoying these updates are?

Can these updates at least be designed so that the WEP key does not have to be re-entered?

Skunk
2007-04-13, 04:58
It seems like, more frequently than ever, my Squeezebox 3 is prompting for firmware and/or software updates.

Have you tried turning off 'check for software updates' in Server Settings--Behavior?

It's Costa Rican with Jah Wobble/Bill Laswell for me this morning, not to rub it in or anything ;-)

hickinbottoms
2007-04-13, 05:30
I don't have an SB3, but on an SB1 you're not forced to do that. In the
setup menu that appears when you reboot the SB following the firmware
update you can press "DOWN" to get to something like "Done with setup"
where the previous settings are retained.

I'm not with the SB now so can't tell you the wordings for sure, but I
don't think you have to do that with an SB1 at least, so I wouldn't
expect it for an SB3 either.

Stuart

Cleve wrote:
> It seems like, more frequently than ever, my Squeezebox 3 is prompting
> for firmware and/or software updates.
>
> Even more aggravating - TWICE now in the last couple weeks, I've been
> required to manually reinput my 128 bit WEP key - which is a real pain
> in the arse - it's on the order of 36 characters and not committed to
> memory.
>
> Can these updates at least be designed so that the WEP key does not
> have to be re-entered?
>
>
>

Cleve
2007-04-13, 06:06
Have you tried turning off 'check for software updates' in Server Settings--Behavior?

I'll try that. Sometimes, the updates come through Squeezenetwork itself, so that setting would only help when connected to Slimserver. I can't recall if the previous WEP key 'loss' was from update on Squeezenetwork or Slimserver.

The updates themselves aren't the biggest annoyance - it's the loss of the WEP key. So far, I've entered it only 4 times - on inital purchase and installation 1 1/2 years ago, on an update sometime last year, and now twice in the past couple weeks.

Cleve
2007-04-13, 06:09
I don't have an SB3, but on an SB1 you're not forced to do that. In the
setup menu that appears when you reboot the SB following the firmware
update you can press "DOWN" to get to something like "Done with setup"
where the previous settings are retained.

Cleve wrote:
> It seems like, more frequently than ever, my Squeezebox 3 is prompting
> for firmware and/or software updates.
>
> Even more aggravating - TWICE now in the last couple weeks, I've been
> required to manually reinput my 128 bit WEP key - which is a real pain
> in the arse - it's on the order of 36 characters and not committed to
> memory.
>
> Can these updates at least be designed so that the WEP key does not
> have to be re-entered?
>
>
>

After most updates, the SB3 automatically reconnects to my wireless network without me doing anything. But lately there's been these 'updates' that seem to be a hard reboot of everything.

I *thought* I'd tried to work around the WEP key prompt, but wasn't successful. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll see if I can follow that route the next time it happens.

danco
2007-04-13, 11:35
When you see the "et up networking" message you should at least try pressing the Up button one or more times. This should get to a "connect to network" option, when pressing the Right button will connect, without your needing to enter the key again.

May not work in your situation, but does work in some cases, and no harm in trying.

By the way, do you know that WEP has recently been pretty effectively cracked, and if you have the option it is much better to change to WPA.

y360
2007-04-13, 12:59
To prevent constant firmware update prompts, you need to use the latest 6.5.2 nightly which has firmware 81 that's required by squeezenetwork's Pandora. Older 6.5.2 builds have firmware 76 which is required by squeezenetwork's Rhapsody.
Release 6.5.1 is using firmware 72 that's compatible with neither. This firmware mismatch is a recurring theme in many posts by users who are surprised by firmware prompt loops. I think it merits a sticky post to the squeezenetwork forum about firmware compatibility. It may also merit a mention on the server's download page.

William Szostak
2007-04-14, 10:36
Are there any plans for a patch to 6.5.1 so it works with the latest firmware? For those of us who prefer not to run pre-release software, it seems like a bad idea to release a firmware update that is incompatible with the latest officially released version of the server. I appreciate the firmware 81 update, because Pandora wasn't working for me before - but the latest supported release of slimserver should work with the latest supported firmware release.

Cleve
2007-04-14, 10:41
By the way, do you know that WEP has recently been pretty effectively cracked, and if you have the option it is much better to change to WPA.

I upgraded firmware on my Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless "B" router (now 4 1/2 years old and still going strong!) but I still don't see it as an option - just WEP. Is it possible to upgrade an older WiFi router to WPA? I hate to replace a perfectly serviceable piece of gear - one which I paid $160 for in 2003!! - just for one feature.

Jazz1
2007-04-14, 11:53
I don't think I'll mess with my system unless phone support hours coincide with updates.

lanierb
2007-04-14, 12:34
When people complain, I'm almost always on the side saying that slimserver is really pretty good, and very well supported. HOWEVER, IMO this one seems inexcuseable for a company that wants to produce a consumer device. They should do a quick update to 6.5.1 to fix Pandora and Rhapsody and keep people from having to do constant firmware updates to use them.

Lanier

Ben Sandee
2007-04-14, 16:16
On 4/14/07, lanierb <lanierb.2p1osb1176579301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> When people complain, I'm almost always on the side saying that
> slimserver is really pretty good, and very well supported. HOWEVER,
> IMO this one seems inexcuseable for a company that wants to produce a
> consumer device. They should do a quick update to 6.5.1 to fix Pandora
> and Rhapsody and keep people from having to do constant firmware updates
> to use them.

6.5.2 is absolutely supported -- if you call up tech support and ask they
will happily assist you with it. You're concept of instability does not
match the 6.5.2 release.

Ben

boudy
2007-04-20, 21:41
and its a total PITA! There is no reason to trash the network settings and to constantly prompt for a firmware update.

johnmac
2007-04-20, 22:49
Hi All

These type of issues on software updating and other small irritations were one of the reasons why after using my SB3 for approx 9 months,I sold it on.
Also the requirement to have a computer on all the time or 2 purchase a Qnap server(which appeared to have issues as well after reading lots of posts)was a bit of a bind.
I seemed to be spending to much time playing with the SB3 and not listening to music.
It is 2007 so I expect a device like this to be very customer friendly and require minimal user interface for its basic use.ie Listening to music.
The apple TV looks interesting but SQ may not be good enough for a decent sound system.
So gone back to CD player and FM/Dab tuner,hopefully until the next generation SB model comes out,hopefully with built in hard drive,improved handset and minimal user intervention.

Cheers

Johnmac

cparker
2007-04-21, 01:53
Hi All

These type of issues on software updating and other small irritations were one of the reasons why after using my SB3 for approx 9 months,I sold it on.
Also the requirement to have a computer on all the time or 2 purchase a Qnap server(which appeared to have issues as well after reading lots of posts)was a bit of a bind.
I seemed to be spending to much time playing with the SB3 and not listening to music.

Hey Johnmac

To be fair, I've seen considerable progress in the software over the last 6 months. Prior to 6.5.x it was pretty shady, but now I find it as steady as a rock.

The only breakages I have, are caused by playing around with plugins, which aren't written by slimdevices/logitech.

Regarding the hardware front, I use a maxtor nas drive and a laptop so the power suck is minimal. If you work in a company with an IT dept, they always have cupboards of old laptops that arent flashy enough for the salesguys but are perfect as a slim server, you dont need to shell out on expensive hardware.

Regards

Skunk
2007-04-21, 05:54
Hi All

Manually loading a CD is a much bigger 'irritation' IMHO. FWIW I've NEVER been prompted to update FW, sans upgrading slimserver (but I don't use radio/pandora).

Technically that's not a requirement. Mine runs on the same computer I use to email, and I don't find a need to leave it on for when I'm ready to do so.

discocarp
2007-04-21, 06:01
hopefully with built in hard drive

Oh I hope not! This kills the concept of the squeezebox and what makes it so powerful! I can store my files where I'm comfortable and stream them to multiple players from a single source!

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-21, 06:30
and its a total PITA! There is no reason to trash the network settings and to constantly prompt for a firmware update.

You've seen how to fix this?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=194716&postcount=7

Unfortunately Slim/Logitech is caught in a bind here. They needed a firmware fix to help out with Pandora and Rhapsody problems. That was pushed out to SqueezeNetwork. But this is after 6.5.1 was released with an older firmware, hence the loop.

There's not too much they can do and someone was bound to get mad. Either the Pandora and Rhapsody users would get mad or the users running 6.5.1 and not 6.5.2 would get mad. Since the fix is relatively simple (install 6.5.2) they went for the latter.

Is there an alternative? Someone's going to be upset here, the question is which group and which problem is easier to fix.

It's unfortunate that this firmware update causes the settings to be wiped out - most of the time firmware updates don't do that.

But the fix is fairly simple, and if you don't want to do that, there's a config file hack to tell SlimServer that the player firmware is already up-to-date without moving to 6.5.2.

Cleve
2007-04-21, 08:14
Oh I hope not! This kills the concept of the squeezebox and what makes it so powerful! I can store my files where I'm comfortable and stream them to multiple players from a single source!

Perhaps not a 'built in' HDD, but don't you foresee that the next generation of Squeezebox will be more of a 'computing device' in it's own right? In other words, so many of the functions that are actually software now will become hardware, and that the fluorescent display will be replaced by a 5" (or larger) LCD color screen, capable of displaying album art, more information, etc.

A more self-sufficient SB-4 would also likely address the issue of Pandora compatibility.

discocarp
2007-04-21, 08:53
I hope not. I really appreciate the concept of the (nearly) dumb terminal. Synch, served streams, its beautiful. I'd agree with you on album art, but I don't see any reason why the sb couldn't get a better display for that with the art served up.

Cleve
2007-04-26, 19:44
Well, the SB3 was up to it's old "firmware update" nonsense again. I had been logged, for several days, onto Squeezenetwork. Last evening, I logged back onto Slimserver. Even though I turned off "automatic updates" in Slimserver 6.5.1, I was prompted (again) for the dreaded "software update".

This turned into a firmware update which (again!!!) necessitated me manually entering my entire 26 character WEP key in order to get network connectivity.

Following some of the previous suggestions, I *tried* to exit out of the network setup routine. I could do so - but the unit wouldn't connect to my wireless network.

Again, I have auto updates turned OFF in Slimserver. What the hell is going on with this nonsense?

BTW - when I signed back onto Squeezenetwork, the damn thing prompted me for ANOTHER software update. Luckily, this time it saved my WEP key and automatically reconnected to my wireless network.

This is getting old REAL fast. Slim needs to come up with a fix.

kdf
2007-04-26, 20:00
On 26-Apr-07, at 7:44 PM, Cleve wrote:
>
> This is getting old REAL fast. Slim needs to come up with a fix.
>
There are two current choices:

edit the Firmware/*.version files or use the 6.5.2 nightly builds.

Both have been explained before so I won't bore you any more with
a rehash.

-kdf

andyg
2007-04-26, 20:02
The fix is simple and has been mentioned many times: upgrade to a 6.5.2 nightly build with the latest firmware.

Cleve
2007-04-26, 21:09
Well, I tried downloading the latest 'nightly' - 6.5_v2007-4-26. I extracted the contents to a desktop file. However, there doesn't appear to be an installer, or an appropriate .exe file to run Slim Server. Do I simply copy this to my existing 6.5.1 and overwrite where prompted?

Oh and something else. I don't know if the file is corrupted - but extraction from zip was very slow - glacial, really. It took well over one minute to complete extraction. Usually zip files extract in a fraction of a second with my Athlon 3500. But this one had long intervals where it sat there and did nothing - there wasn't even significant CPU usage. Very strange.

Cleve
2007-04-26, 21:17
Well, I copied the new Slimserver directory into my old Slimserver directory, and selected "overwrite" where file names were the same I got an error during the process - "File library in use" or something to that effect.

And now Slimserver won't start. The icon comes up in the tray, but it never starts. Wonderful. This is why Slim should come out with a REAL fix, instead of these betas.

JJZolx
2007-04-26, 21:41
Well, I copied the new Slimserver directory into my old Slimserver directory, and selected "overwrite" where file names were the same I got an error during the process - "File library in use" or something to that effect.

And now Slimserver won't start. The icon comes up in the tray, but it never starts. Wonderful. This is why Slim should come out with a REAL fix, instead of these betas.

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

You want to download the "Windows Executable" from the link above. This package contains the Windows Installer. If you run into a file in use error during the install, reboot your system and try the install again. I'm guessing that you didn't fully shut down SlimServer or MySQL before attempting to install by overwriting files.

Cleve
2007-04-27, 07:06
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

You want to download the "Windows Executable" from the link above. This package contains the Windows Installer. If you run into a file in use error during the install, reboot your system and try the install again. I'm guessing that you didn't fully shut down SlimServer or MySQL before attempting to install by overwriting files.

I think my mistake was exiting SlimServer, rather than stopping SlimServer then exiting. Exiting without stopping seems to leave processes running.

Per your suggestion, I downloaded the executable file (not sure why I didn't see it last night - I think I was angry and in a hurry), ran it, and all is well now.