PDA

View Full Version : Can no longer use SB2, does not find my computer

patrickw59
2007-04-11, 13:18
My SB2 stopped working several weeks ago. It just stopped finding the computer and can no longer find the server. I have performed hundreds of SB2 resets, computer restarts (very unusual), re-installations of the server software. I have also deleted the preferences and all (all?) files installed the installations of the server software.

During the process of selecting the WIFI network, and eventually connecting to the server, it no longer finds automatically its address (192.168.1.6), but instead enters into a menu proposing a manual definition of the IP address. Until this event, I always had 3 choices...connect to Squeezenetwork...connect manually to server...and connect automatically. Needless to say that my DHCP server has always worked. So, when I decide to manually enter the address....1.6, it still gives me an error message that the server cannot be found.

Your suggestions and support are welcome, before I remove the box, and look towards purchasing a decent mediaserver where I can just be an amateur of good music and not be a software engioneer for hours.

Patrick

crooner
2007-04-11, 13:22
Have you tried unplugging or resetting your router?
If you unplug it, wait at least 1 minute before plugging it back in.

Also, do other wireless devices work OK? (Laptop, PDA, Nokia tablet, etc)

patrickw59
2007-04-11, 13:39
I have unplugged my ADSL modem/router as suggested. No change whatsoever.

I remember that I have been unplugging the router almost daily some time ago as I noticed that the connection to the computer was unstable and needed to be re-established when I came home . All WIFI devices in the house work fine.

Patrick

snarlydwarf
2007-04-11, 13:46
I remember that I have been unplugging the router almost daily some time ago as I noticed that the connection to the computer was unstable and needed to be re-established when I came home.

You shouldn't have to do that unless the router is incredibly broken.

Try changing the WPA key to something dumb (briefly! change it back later so some bad guy doesnt guess it). Make it short and easy to type, like, "pass" or something. Then reset the password in the SB to that (making sure you delete anything else... extra spaces at the end count). Or even simpler, briefly turn off all encryption on the router and all encryption on the SB and see if it works. Again, turn it back on later, but keeping things simple for diagnosis is good.

You may also want to try changing the channel on your router: perhaps the cause of your problem (and why you have to reboot your router daily?) is that some neighbor bought a new wireless router, baby monitor, or something else spewing junk on 2.4Ghz ("TV extenders" for example, or dozens of other oddball devices).

The need-to-reboot-the-router certainly implies something other than the SB is confusing your network.

JJZolx
2007-04-11, 14:19
Have you done a full factory reset of the Squeezebox?

(To do a factory reset: Unplug the SB, then hold down the Add button on the remote while plugging in the power.)

Have you tested it using a wired connection to your router or a switch on your network?