PDA

View Full Version : To upgrade or not to upgrade?

djfake
2007-04-10, 14:58
I have a Squeezebox that's a little over three (3) years old. I guess it is a v1 - it has a firmware of 40? Can anyone confirm this? thanks!

I'm considering purchasing a new one while it's still branded Slimdesign, but trying to justify my purchase: With the new one I get

+ WPA/2 Security
+ 24bit Brown-Burr DAC
+ True 802.11 g Wireless
+ Upgraded display
+ Wireless bridge

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!

snarlydwarf
2007-04-10, 15:05
I have a Squeezebox that's a little over three (3) years old. I guess it is a v1 - it has a firmware of 40? Can anyone confirm this? thanks!

Firmware 40 would be an SB1, yes.

I'm considering purchasing a new one while it's still branded Slimdesign, but trying to justify my purchase:

I should hope so, since the branding that "matters" is mostly in software and firmware... I guess the cardboard box, manual and the sticker on the bottom are the only printed ones.

With the new one I get

+ WPA/2 Security
+ 24bit Brown-Burr DAC
+ True 802.11 g Wireless ??? Doe I have this?
+ Upgraded display to bitmap
+ Wireless bridge

A much larger buffer (incredibly helpful for lossless files and even more useful to get around wireless burps), support for more protocols in firmware (WMA, Ogg, FLAC), support for Squeezenetwork (which gives you access to things like Rhapsody and Pandora), etc etc etc...

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

secabeen
2007-04-10, 15:20
I'm considering purchasing a new one while it's still branded Slimdesign, but trying to justify my purchase: With the new one I get

+ WPA/2 Security
+ 24bit Brown-Burr DAC
+ True 802.11 g Wireless ??? Doe I have this?
+ Upgraded display to bitmap
+ Wireless bridge

Squeezenetwork is the big win. We use it to stream Rhapsody, and it's awesome. If you're not going to subscribe to Rhapsody or Pandora, it's not as useful, but if the subscription music services interest you, Squeezenetwork is the best way to play them.

You should be able to get $100-150 for your Squeezebox v1 on eBay.

--Ted

djfake
2007-04-10, 16:53
I should hope so, since the branding that "matters" is mostly in software and firmware... I guess the cardboard box, manual and the sticker on the bottom are the only printed ones.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

Okay okay, I admit I'm a snob - I don't want a Logitech Squeezebox - gimme Slimdevices!

pfarrell
2007-04-10, 16:55
djfake wrote:
> Okay okay, I admit I'm a snob - I don't want a Logitech Squeezebox -
> Gimme Slimdesign!

Cool, so who are they? Any relation to SlimDevices?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-10, 20:41
There's also another thing which is hardly mentioned anymore - SlimDSP.

This means all the codecs are implemented in firmware. snarlydwarf alludes to this, but its real power is that it's changeable. With the SliMP3 and the SB1, it's a hardwired chip that can never and will never change.

New codecs aren't added often and and they take up a lot of precious firmware space that's apparently at quite a premium at the moment, but the flexibility and capability is there.

peter
2007-04-10, 23:36
djfake wrote:
> I have a Squeezebox that's a little over three (3) years old. I guess it
> is a v1 - it has a firmware of 40? Can anyone confirm this? thanks!
>
> I'm considering purchasing a new one while it's still branded
> Slimdesign, but trying to justify my purchase: With the new one I get
>
> + WPA/2 Security
> + 24bit Brown-Burr DAC
> + True 802.11 g Wireless ??? Doe I have this?
> + Upgraded display to bitmap
> + Wireless bridge
>
> Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!
>

WMA support was a biggy for me. Most local (Dutch) radiostations stream
in WMA format so that meant I could get rid of my radio tuners, just
SB's, amps and speakers, I like it that way. Simple and uncluttered...

Regards,
Peter

Marc Sherman
2007-04-11, 04:04
djfake wrote:
>> I should hope so, since the branding that "matters" is mostly in
>> software and firmware... I guess the cardboard box, manual and the
>> sticker on the bottom are the only printed ones.
>>
>> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison
>
>
> Okay okay, I admit I'm a snob - I don't want a Logitech Squeezebox -
> Gimme Slimdesign!

You appear to have missed the point; an SB3 that you buy today _will_ be
branded logitech in firmware/software soon enough, if it isn't already,
unless you stop updating your slimserver -- but then you're stuck with
today's bugs and feature set.

The only reason this hasn't happened to your SB1 yet is because they've
stopped updating the SB1 firmware a long while ago.

- Marc

jimwillsher
2007-04-11, 05:50
I'm in a similar situation. In my current house I have one hi-fi, one SB3, and four sets of speakers (one set in each room, with cables in the walls).

I will shortly be moving to a new house. Rather than bury speaker cables in the walls I have buried Cat5. So I shall probably want a couple more SB3 units.

I have the same "snob factor" thoughts. I'd rather have a SB3 with a Slimdevices logo on the front than a Logitech logo. Few people have heard of Slimdevices but loads of people know about Logitech. I like having niche market stuff, and most people will see a Logitech logo and think "mainstream"

At the end of the day though, if the software continues to evolve, and continues to work on Linux, I'll be happy.

Jim

Siduhe
2007-04-11, 06:52
Sugar cube it? (http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/macgyver-tip--de+logo-your-cell-phone-with-a-sugar-cube-244294.php)

jimwillsher
2007-04-11, 06:57
Fantastic!

Who thinks these things up? "Hmmm, I want to get rid of a logo on my phone. I'll know, I'll try......a sugar cube".

Lucky dream?

Jim

PS Does it have to be white sugar?

djfake
2007-04-11, 09:00
You appear to have missed the point; an SB3 that you buy today _will_ be
branded logitech in firmware/software soon enough, if it isn't already,
unless you stop updating your slimserver -- but then you're stuck with
today's bugs and feature set.

The only reason this hasn't happened to your SB1 yet is because they've
stopped updating the SB1 firmware a long while ago.

- Marc

No, I'm really a snob. I want one with the Slimdevices logo.

But your point is well taken. Committing to Squeezebox v3 & Slimserver now means committing to Logitech in the future.

c

peterw
2007-04-11, 09:33
No, I'm really a snob. I want one with the Slimdevices logo.

Don't deliberate too long, then. Logitech is already shipping SB3 remote controls with the Logitech logo (I ordered a black SB, white SB, and backlit remote -- the black standard remote had the logitech logo but the other remotes and both SBs had the SlimDevices logo).
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33966&page=5#48

I expect it won't be long before the SB faceplate has the Logitech logo. The Slim Devices logo that's molded into the back of the SB3 case would be more expensive to change, but I would not count on Logitech leaving that alone until the next generation Squeezebox.

There is the 30-day return policy if you get it and the Logitech blob is just too much to take. But if you wait another 30 days, you're less likely to get the Slim logo you want.

Go ahead, order it. You know you want it. Especially if that SB1 does not have the "1G" bitmapped display. I was pleasantly surprised how much better the SB2/SB3 display is than the SB1G display; I can't imagine using a SB1 or SliMP3 text-only display all the time!

djfake
2007-04-11, 11:27
Go ahead, order it. You know you want it. Especially if that SB1 does not have the "1G" bitmapped display. I was pleasantly surprised how much better the SB2/SB3 display is than the SB1G display; I can't imagine using a SB1 or SliMP3 text-only display all the time!

Okay I ordered it!

I did get an email from Slimdevices stating the units would be logo'd with the Slim brand. The big selling points for me was:

+ Price: $229 (white on sale plus return user discount)
+ better display - the v1 _is_ hard to read across the room!
+ 802.11g networking w/WPA
+ Burr-Brown DAC
+ Much larger buffer for FLAC

I would like to point out that one of the things I love about Slimserver & Squeezebox is the community around it. I've always had good support from Slim, and always found Slim users to be very congenial and helpful. "A nice club" if you will. It's probably why many of us are worried about the change with Logitech. No disrespect to Logitech, but big companie$ always tend to me$$ up a good thing. I think many share this sentiment...

The point about the logo is easy - I've been using Slim for just over three years. I love it. So yes, I want to be reminded that I have a Slimdesign Squeezebox, and not Logitech Squeezebox. Call me nostalgic...

~
Now Logitech - make an inexpensive "no wireless, no display" version of the Squeezebox!