PDA

View Full Version : Moved iTunes ALAC Library From One Drive To Another and Transporter Can't See It?

Sword1
2007-04-08, 08:21
I just finished relocating my iTunes library from the hard drive where it previously existed, to a new network drive. The new drive consists of three 500gb drives in Raid 5. I was able to move it succesfully and change iTunes to redirect there, but the Transporter somehow can't see those files. The only thing it does see on that drive is one track that I ripped using EAC.

I know it can't access the handful of files that I purchased via iTunes, but what do I need to do to get it to access everything else?

Thanks for any help with this.

Eric Seaberg
2007-04-08, 09:10
Did you totally re-scan the library? Are you on a Mac? How about re-setting your iTunes prefs?

I do use iTunes to rip files to Apple Lossless and for tagging, but prefer NOT to have Slim use iTunes' library. Change your library settings to look at /Volumes/(your external HD name)/iTunes library (if applicable).

I just have a 500GB drive called Music. All artist folders appear when you double-click on the drive... therfore, my library setting is /Volumes/Music and it works. Obviously, I check "DO NOT USE ITUNES".

g'luck!

Sword1
2007-04-08, 11:34
Did you totally re-scan the library? Are you on a Mac? How about re-setting your iTunes prefs?

I do use iTunes to rip files to Apple Lossless and for tagging, but prefer NOT to have Slim use iTunes' library. Change your library settings to look at /Volumes/(your external HD name)/iTunes library (if applicable).

I just have a 500GB drive called Music. All artist folders appear when you double-click on the drive... therfore, my library setting is /Volumes/Music and it works. Obviously, I check "DO NOT USE ITUNES".

g'luck!

Eric,

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure, and please bear with me, I'm totally new to this, where exactly are you checking "DO NOT USE ITUNES" ?

And where are you changing the library settings?

Thanks

Eric Seaberg
2007-04-08, 11:50
Connect to your server using a web-browser. If you're opening a browser on the server machine, go to "http://localhost:9000" (without the quotes). Look for the link SERVER SETTINGS. You should see the ITUNES options as well as a place to enter the new location of your music library.

If you're connecting to the server from a different computer/browser, then you enter the server's IP address, i.e. "http://192.168.1.1:9000" (or whatever your IP is).

Sword1
2007-04-08, 18:20
Eric,

Thanks to your help, I think I'm almost there, but I'm having one last issue.

My music is stored on my network drive which is D: on the pc used for the music server, and which I moved all the files to.

I went into the Slim Server server settings and changed the setting to D:, the first time, rescanned it, and it verified and took the new setting, but the Transporter still didn't see the music.

When I go to My Computer, the music is located at:
D:\Music-Home\iTunes\iTunes Music

I've tried to type that into the server settings "Music Folder" window, and rescanning, but it comes back with

"new value for music folder rejected"

oops D:\Music-Home\iTunes\iTunes Music doesn't seem to be a valid directory. Please try again."

What am I doing wrong? And thanks again.

Eric Seaberg
2007-04-08, 20:30
The only other thing I can think of is that you are STILL using the iTunes library folder setup, i.e. iTunes\iTunes Music. Try keeping your setting to USE ITUNES but type in D:\Music-Home\iTunes and leave it at that.

Otherwise, someone else that's more PC savvy is going to have to chime in here. I'm a Mac guy, after all.

jeffmeh
2007-04-08, 23:46
SlimServer may not be recognizing the mapped drive. Have you tried entering as the music folder:

\\Host\Music-Home\iTunes\iTunes Music

where Host is the network name of your network drive?

You should be able to find that name in "My Network Places."