PDA

View Full Version : Jethro

peejay
2007-04-07, 08:59
I have just unleashed 'Crest of a Knave' through the SB3. Now die-hard fans who haven't heard this album, which in my opinion absolutely describes the 'new wave' Tull, more than 'Broadsword and the Beast' ever did, should listen to 'Mountain Men', and 'Farm on a freeway', the latter track which describes the urban sprawl in true Tull style.
Never let it be said however that 'Thick as a Brick' was not the best (and First?) progressive rock album EVER......Who can listen to Tull and not admit to playing the 'Air Flute'?

swhite58
2007-04-18, 20:26
I have a lot of early Tull, but I haven't gotten around to checking out anything recent. I remember being blown away by Thick as a Brick when I was in high school. I play A Passion Play these days when I want to annoy my teenager boys - that and Al Stewart.

gorman
2007-04-19, 04:04
peejay, I hear you!

My favourite from Crest is Budapest, though.

Crest Of A Knave was the third CD that I ever bought, I still remember the joy and trepidation.

gbruzzo
2007-04-19, 05:14
I am with you people on JT!

Of the modern stuff, I find Catfish Rising the best (does remind me of much earlier stuff). Crest of a Knave is a little too electro-I would prefer Stormwatch or Broadsword and the Beast.
I know it's childish, but what is your ranking of favourite JT albums?

I'd say:
1) Thick as a Brick
2) This Was
3) Living in the Past
4) Minstrel in the Gallery/A Passion Play
5) Songs from the Wood/Heavy Horses/Catfish Rising
6) Acqualung
7) Too Old To Rock n'Roll Too Young to Die/The Broadsword and the Beast
8)Others

Although I am not so sure, I could agree with very different rankings aswell...

Cheers,

Giacomo

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-19, 07:07
I have a soft spot for Benefit, as it was the first one that really clicked with me. My brother's band Clouds supported Tull on their first US tour, and he passed his promo copies of their LPs onto me. I wish I knew what happened to my copy of Stand Up (which had the pop-up figures)!

After that, I lost interest for a while. I was never that impressed with Aqualung, and stayed away from Brick and Passion Play at the time. Brick is a favourite now, but I can't stand the silly story bit of Passion Play (one day I'll get round to editing it out!)

Much later, a friend introduced me to Heavy Horses and Songs From the Wood, and that got me interested in Tull again. I really liked Broadsword at the time, a little less now, but was never that keen on 'A' or Under Wraps. (Yet I do like Ian Anderson's solo album of the time, Walk Into Light.) Crest of a Knave felt like a return to form, but subsequent albums just sounded like re-runs to me. Will have to give Catfish Rising another go sometime.

-- Brian

Kyle
2007-04-19, 07:34
I was a huge Aqualung fan. I recently acquired Thick As A Brick on CD, which brought back good memories of my old vinyl copy (actually, maybe it was a cassette tape). I had Passion Play on tape and Broadsword & The Best on vinyl. Broadsword was when I lost interest. I saw Tull here in the States on the Aqualung and Brick tours. One of my great concert memories is the Aqualung show opening with Ian Anderson doing the acoustic intro to My God alone on a stool under a single spotlight and then kicking the stool across the stage as the electric guitar kicks in and the lights come up to the full band and off we go.

gbruzzo
2007-04-19, 08:58
I have a soft spot for Benefit, as it was the first one that really clicked with me. My brother's band Clouds supported Tull on their first US tour, and he passed his promo copies of their LPs onto me. I wish I knew what happened to my copy of Stand Up (which had the pop-up figures)!

After that, I lost interest for a while. I was never that impressed with Aqualung, and stayed away from Brick and Passion Play at the time. Brick is a favourite now, but I can't stand the silly story bit of Passion Play (one day I'll get round to editing it out!)

Much later, a friend introduced me to Heavy Horses and Songs From the Wood, and that got me interested in Tull again. I really liked Broadsword at the time, a little less now, but was never that keen on 'A' or Under Wraps. (Yet I do like Ian Anderson's solo album of the time, Walk Into Light.) Crest of a Knave felt like a return to form, but subsequent albums just sounded like re-runs to me. Will have to give Catfish Rising another go sometime.

-- Brian

Sorry to be a pain, but are you saying your brother is Billy Ritchie? I used to listen to their music when I got into prog.
How fascinating!

Cheers,

Giacomo

TiredLegs
2007-04-19, 11:50
I recently acquired Thick As A Brick on CD, which brought back good memories of my old vinyl copy (actually, maybe it was a cassette tape).
I bought the original pressing of the TAAB LP back in 1972. It had the full-sized fold out version of the St. Cleve Chronicle newspaper. I suspect it would be a collector's item today, but my mom threw it out when I went off to college in the late '70s. Maybe she didn't like the music...

gbruzzo
2007-04-19, 12:13
I bought the original pressing of the TAAB LP back in 1972. It had the full-sized fold out version of the St. Cleve Chronicle newspaper. I suspect it would be a collector's item today, but my mom threw it out when I went off to college in the late '70s. Maybe she didn't like the music...

I think it would be. What a shame. Have you read it in detail? It really is quite amusing, mostly the spoof comment about JT's music by the imaginary music critic...What a beautiful record.

Giacomo

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-19, 12:14
Sorry to be a pain, but are you saying your brother is Billy Ritchie? I used to listen to their music when I got into prog.
How fascinating!

Yup, he's my brother. Glad to find someone who's heard of him!

-- Brian

gbruzzo
2007-04-19, 12:23
Yup, he's my brother. Glad to find someone who's heard of him!

-- Brian

That was before I even came to live in the UK...I still lived in Genoa, Italy, I was 18 then (1990).
A lot of UK prog bands came to Genoa during late 60/early 70's - Van Der Graaf Generator used to play there often and had a dedicated fanbase. Full circle in an odd kind of way.

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-19, 16:23
I think it would be. What a shame. Have you read it in detail? It really is quite amusing, mostly the spoof comment about JT's music by the imaginary music critic...What a beautiful record.

The 25th Anniversary CD remaster box contains a facsimile of the newspaper (full-size too, I think). I doubt it's as valuable as the original, though!

I could've sworn that the liner notes talked about how much fun they had putting the paper together, but my copy has no liner notes, so I must've read it somewhere else...

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2007-04-19, 16:40
That was before I even came to live in the UK...I still lived in Genoa, Italy, I was 18 then (1990).

Ah well: Clouds had split up before you were born, I think!

Of the three, only Ian Ellis stayed in the music business (including tours with Steve Hackett - there's a chance I saw him live and didn't realise it!)

See http://www.cloudsmusic.com/ for more info.

A lot of UK prog bands came to Genoa during late 60/early 70's - Van Der Graaf Generator used to play there often and had a dedicated fanbase. Full circle in an odd kind of way.

I don't think Clouds went to Italy, but I could be wrong.

(Chuckle) to tie this back to Tull: my brother sometimes claims that JT got the title Living In The Past from a line in one of Clouds' songs!

-- Brian

peejay
2007-04-19, 21:11

Yep, I have the full fold out version as well - I'm looking after it very carefully - found it in a second hand record shop a few years ago - It's in top condition, sleeve and vinyl - I love the Non-Rabbit stories...

Now, in order of preference for 'gbruzzo'

1. Thick as a Brick
2. Living in the Past (although the solos go on a bit)
3. Aqualung
4. Broadsword and...
5. Under Wraps
6. Crest of a Knave (it probably should go in at no. 3 at the moment, actaully)
7. Rock Island - this isn't bad, it's probably similar in style to COAK, actually

That's my complete list, except for 'Original Masters', which is a compilation, but had 'Skating on the Ice of a Thin Day' on it. Anybody know which album that's from? I could Google it, but that takes half the fun out of this sort of discussion, right?

PeeJay

peejay
2007-04-20, 06:31
peejay, I hear you!

My favourite from Crest is Budapest, though.

Crest Of A Knave was the third CD that I ever bought, I still remember the joy and trepidation.

You'll probably enjoy Rock Island then, for the similar jaunty passages containing very pointed lyrics....

gorman
2007-04-21, 03:40
You'll probably enjoy Rock Island then, for the similar jaunty passages containing very pointed lyrics....Yup, I like that too. The Whaler's Dues it's a moving song, even though I strongly oppose whales hunting.

gbruzzo
2007-04-21, 09:21
What is your favourite live recording of Jethro Tull? (official and bootleg?)

I used to listen a lot to bursting out (I can just imagine them in Bern hehehehe), it contains a lot of chitchat between them on stage, which I always found rather amusing...

Giacomo

gbruzzo
2007-04-21, 09:23
The 25th Anniversary CD remaster box contains a facsimile of the newspaper (full-size too, I think). I doubt it's as valuable as the original, though!

I could've sworn that the liner notes talked about how much fun they had putting the paper together, but my copy has no liner notes, so I must've read it somewhere else...

-- Brian

seem to remember that the critics' comment is not on the first page of the mock newspaper, but in some remote corner of the second page.

G

Havoc
2007-04-21, 14:14
glad to find some others that like JT. Altough it is a long time I played any of it. Like The Broadsword, Rock Island and Catfish Rising. A few nice ones on Nightcap as well. Not so much their very early work.

peejay
2007-04-22, 21:13
What is your favourite live recording of Jethro Tull? (official and bootleg?)

I used to listen a lot to bursting out (I can just imagine them in Bern hehehehe), it contains a lot of chitchat between them on stage, which I always found rather amusing...

Giacomo

No real live recordings, although I do like the unplugged versions of Locomotive Breath, Mother Goose and Nursie bundled on the release of Rock Island that I have.
And there's a couple of live tracks on Living in the Past, of course.

jacabo
2007-04-27, 08:19
This thread looks to be quite old, but it got me thinking about all the Tull albums I have on vinyl downstairs gathering dust. I have a soft spot for Benefit, and Songs from the Wood. My overall favorite has to be This Was; a progressive blues feel that was later (mostly) abandoned.

someday when the the wife and kids go on vacation, I will have to lug out these albums and rip them to my digital library.

cheers

-JAC

SumnerH
2007-09-07, 15:36
I probably rank them something like this:

Living in the Past
Thick as a Brick
Aqualung
Stormwatch
Heavy Horses
Songs from the Wood
Catfish Rising
Minstrel in the Gallery
A Passion Play
Benefit
Stand Up

The rest rarely get play aside from an occasional track or two (e.g. Skating Away (War Child), Budapest (Crest), title track/Cheerio/Seal Driver from Broadsword, Serenade to a Cuckoo and Song for Jeffrey from This Was, title track from Too Old, Pine Martin's Jig and Black Sunday off A, Under Wraps #2 (acoustic)). Really nothing from Roots to Branches or J-Tull dot Com gets played at all.

For "vaults" stuff, 20th Anniversary Box is better than 25th, though the final disc of that has some excellent stuff (including fine live renditions of Budapest and the Passion Jig part of A Passion Play). I'd take either over Nightcap despite some great stuff on that.

Bursting Out tops A Little Light Music overall for their best live album, though the latter's best tracks are great.

Watchers on the Storm is the best bootleg by far, and is phenomenal sound quality for a 1979 recording. It's far ahead of any of the official live albums.

Phil Leigh
2007-09-11, 11:16
Has to be TAAB, Aqualung and Passion Play for me - but really I like them all. Oh and until sometime in the 90's Ian Anderson used to live "down the road" in Beacons Bottom (literally 5 mins walk) from me on his "farm" - never saw him though! (bit like John Paul Getty II who was 10 mins in the opposite direction).