PDA

View Full Version : Warning, new firmware killed Squeezebox 2

sleepysurf
2007-04-07, 08:42
FYI, when accessing Pandora today, I was prompted to hit "brightness" to d/l latest firmware. It did, then "rebooted" as usual. However, upon restarting, the screen flashed something like "factory reset" then went black. Powering on and off did nothing, nor did the standard POWER + ADD reset sequence. It appears the latest firmware totally killed my Squeezebox 2. On a whim, I tried the firmware upgrade on my Squeezebox 3 (I have 3 SB's), and it went fine. There is clearly a problem with this firmware for Squeezebox 2's. I emailed Tech Support and am awaiting their response. Anybody else encounter this problem?

stevek1006
2007-04-07, 09:07
I did the update this morning on a SB2 without incident. Did you
disconnecting the Squeezebox from the power and then reconnecting it? That
has worked for me in the past when all else has failed.

-Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of sleepysurf
> Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 11:42 AM
> To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: [slim] Warning, new firmware killed Squeezebox 2
>
>
> FYI, when accessing Pandora today, I was prompted to hit
> "brightness" to d/l latest firmware. It did, then "rebooted"
> as usual. However, upon restarting, the screen flashed
> something like "factory reset" then went black. Powering on
> and off did nothing, nor did the standard POWER + ADD reset
> sequence. It appears the latest firmware totally killed my
> Squeezebox 2. On a whim, I tried the firmware upgrade on my
> Squeezebox
> 3 (I have 3 SB's), and it went fine. There is clearly a
> problem with this firmware for Squeezebox 2's. I emailed
> Tech Support and am awaiting their response. Anybody else
> encounter this problem?
>
>
> --
> sleepysurf
>
> squeezebox2 (with elpac linear psu) > benchmark dac1 >
> modwright swl 9.0se > belles 350a reference > ml summits.
> blue jeans cables.
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> sleepysurf's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34275
>
>

sleepysurf
2007-04-07, 09:21
Yep, tried that, as well as holding in the ADD button while powering up. Nada.

stevek1006
2007-04-07, 09:32
Too bad. It sounds like a job for customer support.

-Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of sleepysurf
> Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:22 PM
> To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: Re: [slim] Warning, new firmware killed Squeezebox 2
>
>
> Yep, tried that, as well as holding in the ADD button while
> powering up.
> Nada.
>
>
> --
> sleepysurf
>
> squeezebox2 (with elpac linear psu) > benchmark dac1 >
> modwright swl 9.0se > belles 350a reference > ml summits.
> blue jeans cables.
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> sleepysurf's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34275
>
>

mherger
2007-04-08, 23:07
> Yep, tried that, as well as holding in the ADD button while powering up.
> Nada.

There's also the "reprogramming xilinx" thingy. Can't remember how it's
done, but it's another press-and-hold procedure. Please search the forums
- you should find the instructions somewhere.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

sleepysurf
2007-04-09, 06:00
Thanks for the reminder about the Xilink reset (hold "1" while powering up). Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I'm waiting to hear back from Tech Support.

Rick B.
2007-04-09, 07:21
Sleepysurf, did you try unplugging the power cord, waiting 10-15 seconds, and then plugging it back in?

I have to do this every few weeks or so when my SB goes dark, for some reason

sleepysurf
2007-04-09, 08:02
Deciding to "live on the edge", I did the latest firmware upgrade on my OTHER SB2, and that update went fine. So the problem was apparently unique for just my one unit, and not for all SB2's.

sleepysurf
2007-04-09, 13:47
Good News! Slim/Logitech Customer Service remains top-notch, and they were quick to issue me an RMA. I'll be sending my faulty unit out tonight, and anxiously awaiting their diagnosis/repair. Fortunately, I have two other Squeezeboxes to keep feeding my audio addiction.

discocarp
2007-04-09, 13:51
Glad to hear the service is still outstanding now that Logitech has taken over. Hope it stays the same!

Best of luck to you sleepysurf. You seem to have had more than your fair share of problems lately.

oreillymj
2007-04-09, 13:58
I'm not sure what version of the FW Squeezenetwork is pushing down, but I've upgraded both my SB2 & 3 to the latest FW81 without issue.

When I bought my SB2, it came with FW16, so it's been upgraded >30 times at this stage without ever really having a problem.

Two thing's I would suggest.

1) Unlikely
Try hitting brightness after plugging the SB2 back in, could be that it's just gone onto the setting which turns the display off.

2) This has happened to me.
The server had the player in a power state of OFF and disregarded all my attapts to do anything via remote control. I had to go to the Web UI and select the player, then change the power state to ON.

Just out of interest, does the Web UI still "see" the player that is dead?

Hercules
2007-04-09, 14:07
What's new in the upgraded firmware?

(Apologies if that's somewhere on this site - I couldn't see it!)

visualguy
2007-04-14, 18:29
I just had the same problem with my Transporter. It worked fine until a few days ago when I was prompted to hold the brightness button to update the firmware for Pandora.

The player worked erratically after the firmware upgrade - it froze often. Today, I can't even turn it on anymore. It's completely dead. I tried pressing "add" while connecting the power and it didn't help. I also tried pressing "1" while connecting the power, and it didn't help either. Pressing the power button doesn't do anything either.

sleepysurf
2007-04-14, 20:20
Sorry to hear you had the same problem. I've sent mine off to Slim/Logitech for repair. Of note, my other two Squeezeboxes have been going into the update firmware loop with recurring factory resets. but they didn't die like my other one. As suggested by others, updating to the latest Slimserver 6.5.2 nightly solved that problem. The issue is CLEARLY software related, but apparently only affects a small percentage of Squeezeboxes... not sure why.

valeite
2007-04-14, 23:51
visualguy

The same type of thing has happened to my Transporter it freezes on Squeezenetwork. I have found that if I press power I have to hold it down for several seconds for it to turn the Transporter on.

visualguy
2007-04-15, 13:28
visualguy

The same type of thing has happened to my Transporter it freezes on Squeezenetwork. I have found that if I press power I have to hold it down for several seconds for it to turn the Transporter on.

Yes, it was like that for a while, but now I can't turn it on at all. It turned into a $2,000 brick :-(

gorman
2007-04-18, 07:49
Any official info on this?

I'm still at 6.3.1, afraid of all the horror stories I read here on 6.5 (and my own single experience that prompted me to downgrade after five minutes). This adds horror to horrors... :(

valeite
2007-04-18, 09:37
My Story briefly

Contacted Slim Devices Support (Logitech)

After various attempts to cure the freezing with 6.5.2 firmware 31 they said if I had purchased the Transporter from their Web Site they would replace it. If I had purchase from a reseller to contact them for a replacement.

I had indeed purchased from a reseller who said that I was using unsupported software and I should revert back to the original firmware and 6.5.1 slimserver.

So I am now back into the firmware loop if I want to use Pandora plus re-entering my WPA code each time I change from slimserver to squeezenetwork. As I am in the UK I am aware that I should not use Pandora. Logitech inform me that Pandora will be available to the UK sometime in the future, probably after my warrantee as expired.

Quote from Logitech

Rhapsody and Pandora are not available in the UK at the moment and this is way we cant promise it will work for customers out side the US.

If in the future this services will become available also in the UK then we will make sure to support it with our product.

The 6.5.2 beta version is almost final, i using it for the last 2 month without any issues and you should be able to use it in the UK not related to the Pandora/Rhapsody issue.

I hope this helps.

sleepysurf
2007-04-19, 15:50
Interesting. I received an email from Logitech Support today, telling me they received my SB2, tested it, and it is working perfectly for them! Now, I *KNOW* my unit appeared dead, and was totally unresponsive to EVERY resuscitative measure I took. Further, my other two remaining Squeezeboxes kept getting into the endless "Factory Reset" loop until I d/l Slimserver 6.5.2

I suspect the Logitech/Slim tech folks are using 6.5.2 as well, and that version somehow "resuscitated" my SB2. Weird!

Anyways, the GOOD NEWS is that Logitech Support seems to be just as Customer oriented as the Slim folks were, and I will soon have my beloved SB2 back in my system! I hope everybody else facing this, or similar issues, has such a favorable outcome.

JJZolx
2007-04-19, 15:58
After various attempts to cure the freezing with 6.5.2 firmware 31 they said if I had purchased the Transporter from their Web Site they would replace it. If I had purchase from a reseller to contact them for a replacement.

What???

The _reseller_ needs to handle warranty claims? Is this correct? If true, is that just something they're doing with the Transporter, or is it true of all SD products?

kdf
2007-04-19, 16:36
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.2pb7lz1177023601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> valeite;195855 Wrote:
>> After various attempts to cure the freezing with 6.5.2 firmware 31 they
>> said if I had purchased the Transporter from their Web Site they would
>> replace it. If I had purchase from a reseller to contact them for a
>> replacement.
>
> What???
>
it's fairly standard procedure. Buy a Sharp TV at Best Buy and you
take it back to Best Buy if you have a problem. You don't contact
Sharp. The reseller handles the RMA. Nothing shockingly new there.

-kdf

JJZolx
2007-04-19, 17:13
Buy a Sharp TV at Best Buy and you take it back to Best Buy if you have a problem. You don't contact Sharp. The reseller handles the RMA. Nothing shockingly new there.

I just got off the phone with the local BestBuy. They say that for a warranty claim you can _either_ deal directly with the manufacturer or you can go through BestBuy.

I'm not aware of another manufacturer of consumer electronics that _forces_ a buyer to deal only with the reseller on a warranty issue.

kdf
2007-04-19, 17:22
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.2pbb2z1177028101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> I just got off the phone with the local BestBuy. They say that for a
> warranty claim you can _either_ deal directly with the manufacturer or
> you can go through BestBuy.

ok, I stand corrected. However, if you decide to ring up the
manufacturer, see what they suggest first.

it's still not new info. search the forum and you'll see the same
thing pointed out many times. Buy at the reseller = 'please contact
your reseller'.

-kdf

lostboy
2007-04-20, 02:36
FWIW - in the UK, consumer protection law places the requirement to fix upon the retailer. Your contract is with the retailer and it's their problem to provide the warranty (of course they can do this via the manufacturer, but its remains the retailer's problem to resolve). Any services or warranties the manufacturer offers directly are incidental to your rights vs the retailer. Bizarrely, if you go direct to the manufacturer without having agreed this route with the retailer, the retailer can then claim you interfered with the product and have effectively renounced your rights.

Chris