PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N800 browser crashes?

Mitch Harding
2007-04-05, 09:42
I'm considering buying a Nokia N800 primarily to serve as a souped up remote
for my Squeezeboxes. In my research I've heard mention of browser crashes
-- is this a common problem with the N800? Does anyone here have any
experience using the N800 as a Squeezebox remote that they could share with
me? And finally, is it worth paying the extra for the N800, or would the
N770 suffice? Any other products I should consider? I thought about the
Harmony remotes, but I like the idea of having a 2-way controller.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mitch

bklaas
2007-04-05, 10:02
I don't think you're going to have browser crashes when using it as a slimserver controller. Most of the browser crashes I experienced with the 770 were when viewing webpages with, e.g., a large amount of flash-based content. Also, it was the early OS versions that esp. stunk as far as stability. By late 2006 the 770 was a pretty stable device.

I'm in between Nokias right now (sold my 770 last week, waiting on the arrival of an N800), but it sounds like there are enhancments to the N800 that are of significance if you want to use it as a slim remote. Mainly: better wifi and "instant on".

cheers,
#!/ben

ds2021
2007-04-05, 11:30
The N800 in conjunction with the 770 skin is an excellent means of controlling Slimserver, especially with muliple SB setups. I have never experienced an N800 browser crash on Slimserver or with any of the other sites I frequent with it (Gmail, Ebay primarily). Having used a PocketPC and various of its browsers to serve this purpose previously, I can safely say that the N800 is much better suited to the task for a number of reasons.

If the only purpose for the device is to operate Slimserver, then the 770 may suffice (although future development of Slimserver or the 770 skin could impact this). The N800 would likely enhance this for most, and if you may venture into other uses, reviews of both devices suggest that the N800 has a significant hardware advantage.

Steve Bernard, Jr
2007-04-05, 11:44
On 4/5/07, ds2021 <ds2021.2oky0b1175798101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> The N800 in conjunction with the 770 skin is an excellent means of
> controlling Slimserver, especially with muliple SB setups. I have never
> experienced an N800 browser crash on Slimserver or with any of the other
> sites I frequent with it (Gmail, Ebay primarily). Having used a PocketPC
> and various of its browsers to serve this purpose previously, I can
> safely say that the N800 is much better suited to the task for a number
> of reasons.

I just received my N800 yesterday. So far, I have had one browser
crash. I was browsing some random site and the browser just
disappeared. However, I then upgraded to the newest software version
from Nokia's website, and haven't seen a problem since.

So far, I'm happy with it, except that it renders my GMail window
weirdly, unless I use the standard HTML version. As a SlimServer
remote, it's been great so far, although the song progress bar on the
Nokia770 skin is a touch out of sync with the real progress of the
song. This isn't a huge deal since it's not like I sit and watch the
remote while it's playing music. I've also had good luck with using
the media player on the N800 to stream music directly to the unit from
SlimServer.

-Steve

ds2021
2007-04-05, 12:01
In Gmail, be sure that you are not using the browser's "optimized view." With that in mind, the standard Gmail interface works great.

Mitch Harding
2007-04-05, 12:18
Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied so far. It sounds like I shouldn't
be too worried about browser crashes, and that the N800 is a good option for
a SS remote. Now I need to get the funds approved... :)

Mitch

katabasis
2007-04-05, 13:52
Seems there are some design flaws in N800 affecting video playback. http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-March/009166.html

bklaas
2007-04-05, 14:05
Seems there are some design flaws in N800 affecting video playback. http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-March/009166.html

Though this problem is entirely unrelated to browser stability, this is a bummer. I thought one of the really gee-whiz features about the 770 was its ability to play video (that is, after conversion to a native resolution). If the 800 is lacking in this capacity, that would be a big disappointment.

I'll certainly be able to test this quickly after receiving my N800--I've got a directory full of optimized-for-770 vids to load on to the SD cards I've purchased in anticipation of its arrival.

If I remember, I'll re-post to this thread to share what I find.

cheers,
#!/ben

ds2021
2007-04-05, 17:21
I do not myself watch many videos on the device at this point, but Nokia includes a sample video on the machine that looks and plays great.