PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Question

thesil
2007-04-04, 12:05
This may be confusing, but here goes: I am currently running my sb3 on my Apple MAC wirelessly, using iTunes. My question is this. I would like to run a cat 5 to use my sb3 in a wired mode. I use a lynksys router and a WAP. If I run the cable from the router, will that work, considering the fact that the MAC sends its air port signal to the WAP? I have a PC hooked up to the router , but I do not use it for SS or SB3. Any help would be appreciated

earthbased
2007-04-04, 12:07
This may be confusing, but here goes: I am currently running my sb3 on my Apple MAC wirelessly, using iTunes. My question is this. I would like to run a cat 5 to use my sb3 in a wired mode. I use a lynksys router and a WAP. If I run the cable from the router, will that work, considering the fact that the MAC sends its air port signal to the WAP? I have a PC hooked up to the router , but I do not use it for SS or SB3. Any help would be appreciated

Tell the SB3 to use only wired ethernet and you should be fine.

thesil
2007-04-04, 12:09
ok thanks. I just thought of something. I probably could go right from my MAC direct to the SB3. Yes?

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-04-04, 12:39
>ok thanks. I just thought of something. I probably could go right from
>my MAC direct to the SB3. Yes?

Yes, but you may need a cross-over cable depending.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

thesil
2007-04-04, 19:56
depending on what?

jeffmeh
2007-04-05, 04:39
Depending upon whether your ethernet card has the capability to detect that you are directly connecting and switch to "crossover" mode. I am sure there is a more precise technical description, but I believe that is the gist of it.

Although if you already have a router, I'm not sure why you would elect not to use it....

ceejay
2007-04-05, 04:53
Have a look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign

Given the bits you have, there is a simple network design waiting for you:

- WAP connected to router, gives you a w-fi extension to your network

- MAC connects wirelessly via WAP to network

- SB connects to network by wire connected to router (if this is your preference: its logically the same as connecting wirelessly via the WAP to the network)

- PC also connects directly to router

Why make it any harder?

HTH
Ceejay

thesil
2007-04-05, 06:58
No, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure that it would work from the router. Now that I think about it; why wouldn't it. The Mac is only a few feet from the wap and router, and the ethernet would run two floors down to the sb3. Should be fine. Thanks all