PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement remote solution

Seineseeker
2007-04-03, 03:53
I need a new remote, the old one is kaput.

Do I order one from SlimDevices for $19.99+23 UPS?
or try and find one somewhere in the UK/Europe. Ecodigital in the UK sell them at 19.99 UKP (approx $38) + postage but don't have any in stock.

Are you charged import duty in Europe on the shipping?

Is there anywhere else to get one?

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-03, 06:59
Could you get by with a low-end universal remote that has JVC DVD player codes?

About the only thing you won't get is BRIGHTNESS, which may be a showstopper as it'll prevent firmware updates.

ddewey
2007-04-03, 07:05
Quoting Seineseeker (Seineseeker.2ogndo1175597702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> I need a new remote, the old one is kaput.
>
> Do I order one from SlimDevices for $19.99+23 UPS?

If you are going to order one, I highly recommend the backlit 'candy bar'
remote rather than the standard one. It's a few US bucks more, but to me
it's a much nicer remote. Feels more solid, nice form factor, better button
layout. It's a thing of beauty.

Seineseeker
2007-04-03, 07:07
Good idea, I didn't know you could do that. How do you find one that has those codes. Can you recommend one? I am ok with not having Brightness as I have 2 SBs, so I can always use the other one. It's just a pain finding the one remote is downstairs etc.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-03, 07:13
How do you find one that has those codes. Can you recommend one?

Any one will do. The JVC codes are very, very common.

I'm not sure about the market in Europe, but there are cheap universal remotes over here (I think they're called "All In One?") that should do the trick. They're available at low-end electronics stores.

Obviously you don't want a fancy one that would end up being more than the original Slim Devices remote, so that limits you to the cheapies. But they seem to be widely available here and are quite cheap - I think I've seen them as low as $5 (on sale).

Seeing as you have another remote that has the brightness button, you should be all set for the occasional firmware update.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-03, 07:14
If you are going to order one, I highly recommend the backlit 'candy bar'
remote rather than the standard one. It's a few US bucks more, but to me
it's a much nicer remote. Feels more solid, nice form factor, better button
layout. It's a thing of beauty.

Yeah, since it seems most of the cost is shipping and import duty the extra few $ won't have much of an impact.

Seineseeker
2007-04-03, 07:26
Thanks. We can get those all in one remotes over here easily and cheaply. But a backlit remote would be nice ;)

BigTony
2007-04-03, 08:10
Re VAT costs,

JFI you do pay VAT on both the item and the shipping, and you'll also get the added fun of paying UPS for collecting the VAT payments. So expect the cost of VTA and collection to be 7 quid or so.

BT

Why not visit www.zappateers.com, Where Music Is Still The Best!

AllanB
2007-04-03, 09:03
I need a new remote, the old one is kaput.

Do I order one from SlimDevices for $19.99+23 UPS?
or try and find one somewhere in the UK/Europe. Ecodigital in the UK sell them at 19.99 UKP (approx $38) + postage but don't have any in stock.

Are you charged import duty in Europe on the shipping?

Is there anywhere else to get one?

Try MultiTask Computing www.multitask-computing.co.uk, they have replacement remotes for 15.22 inc VAT

Seineseeker
2007-04-03, 09:25
Try MultiTask Computing www.multitask-computing.co.uk, they have replacement remotes for 15.22 inc VAT

Great, well spotted thanks.

bonze
2007-04-03, 10:56
I recently bought 2 of the new backlit remotes from the SlimDevices site which incl. postage came to 43.74 GBP.
But.... there was an extra payment to UPS of 21.29 GBP.
Presumably for VAT & customs, so altogether 2 remotes cost me 60 GBP !!!, which came as a bit of a shock.

And on top of that after I eventually got my hands on the package I found it only contained one remote.

Not a pleasant experience!

Seineseeker
2007-04-04, 00:37
I recently bought 2 of the new backlit remotes from the SlimDevices site which incl. postage came to 43.74 GBP.
But.... there was an extra payment to UPS of 21.29 GBP.
Presumably for VAT & customs, so altogether 2 remotes cost me 60 GBP !!!, which came as a bit of a shock.

And on top of that after I eventually got my hands on the package I found it only contained one remote.

Not a pleasant experience!

That's a bit unfortunate Bonze!