PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver splits albums

anko
2007-04-01, 12:40
All my music I put into Itunes. In 99,9% of the cases, Slimserver works flowlessly with Itunes. But now and then, Slimserver splits up an album. So when I search for an album on my Squeezebox, I am presented with the same album twice: part of the songs on one, and the other part on the other. Whatever I do in Itunes (make sure all songs have the same identification), it makes no difference, Slimserver realy wants to see 2 (sometimes even 3!) albums.

What's going on, please help!!!

sleepysurf
2007-04-01, 12:47
It's likely you have a spurious variation with your tags (e.g. spelling, or discnumber, or some other rarely used tag), which Slimserver is picking up on, but iTunes is not. Use MP3Tag, or one of the other tag utilities to check, and correct, such errors.

anko
2007-04-01, 13:44
No, I checked this again and again, all is exactly the same!

Anne
2007-04-01, 16:05
There is a lot going on I dont understand.
First of all, I think a lot of tags are "hidden" in ITunes and are not normally visible. Just a hunch, I see info on the display of SB3 and I wonder where its coming from...
I am just about to loose my patience with SlimServer, but hey, its only data, and data must be correct, right ?
I got albums showing up twice all of the sudden, one of them ussually was missing the first song....
Then I upgraded SS to 6.5.2 and SB3 to 80, scanned the whole thing again, and now I have albums I cant find !
Under "rock" there are several albums not showing, even when they show as "rock" under artists and album search.
J.J.Cale has his name there, but the folder is empty, 0 songs by 0 artists.
Same with Chris Rea and others.
Its a bit mindboggling trying to remember with which artists you have to search by album or artist, not by genre !
My Elvis Presley 24 Karat Hits WANTS to stay in "Various Artists", I cant persuade it otherwise, and one of my Mark Knopfler albums, Golden Heart I absolutely cannot force out of a "No Genre" folder, extremely irritating. Luckily it also figures in "rock" where it only should be...
So anko, I know what you mean, I have compared the ITunes tags of Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" and Chris Rea "The road to hell", they are identical, the difference is that Fleetwood Mac show under "Genre", and "rock", Chris Rea do not....

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-01, 16:09
reading tags in iTunes does not reveal enough
play with MP3Tag and change the settings, from reading ID3v1, ID3v2 and Ape - you'll be amazed what errors are padded into your files
Tag & Rename will get you most of the way there too
suggest - removing all tags and then retagging the "offending" albums with only one kind of tag
if you do not think the tags are the problem, feel free to upload a few sample MP3s with "issues" and I'd be happy to take a look and see if I have the same problems

Anne
2007-04-01, 16:21
I have been against using mp3tag simply because I had confidence in ITunes. In the ITunes library everything works perfect, but in SlimServer it gets messed up.
But yes, guess there is no way around the extra work. ( and i keep telling people to get SB3 because its so "easy"...!

Anne
2007-04-01, 17:06
Downloaded mp3Tag, but I need a little help.
I scanned my music, but when I click on Tag Sources, freedb,and scan from file, then it says "No MPEG header found".
Not sure how I do this....
Edit : used Amazon.com, now it came...

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-02, 12:38
Downloaded mp3Tag, but I need a little help.
I scanned my music, but when I click on Tag Sources, freedb,and scan from file, then it says "No MPEG header found".
Not sure how I do this....
Edit : used Amazon.com, now it came...

not sure what you were doing with MP3Tag
can you upload offending files somewhere with description of error
i will take a look and let you know what behaviour i get