PDA

View Full Version : Playlists > Playlists > Playlists > Playlists....???

SteveC
2007-04-01, 05:53
Hi,

I have a problem with seemingly infinite submenus in Browse > Playlists as the title shows. How do I fix this, please?

I recently moved my collection to a Synology CS-406 NAS (though slimserver still runs on a PC for now). The music library is now at Z:\music. The playlists are at Z:\music\Playlists. I was managing to save and replay playlists yesterday. Since then there has been a rescan overnight for New and Changed Music.

Any ideas? I don't want to just start experimenting at random, as there are nearly 17000 tracks and it takes a while for rescans, but I'd be very glad to follow advice from those who know :)

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

SteveC
2007-04-01, 06:23
I think I have part of the answer, but this in turn needs a solution :)

I noticed that slimserver had stopped itself. When I tried to tell it to run again, I get the message pop-up "Panic! Can't find TEMP dir for perlapp" and slimserver fails to start. This happened to be on the old USB drive where I had just moved the music collection from:- F:\music. There was also an F:\TEMP directory that perl appears to use and need to start up. When I reconnect and turn on this old drive, the TEMP dir is found, slimserver starts up --- and now the player Playlists menu works !?!

So now my question appears to be: how do I tell slimserver to look somewhere else for the perl TEMP file, preferably on the C: drive of the PC running slimserver (so that I can junk the old F drive). Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-01, 09:54
No idea about your second question, but regarding the first: what do the playlists reference when you open them in a text editor? Any incorrect file path references? Any circular references (i.e. playlists pointing at themselves because file paths have changed?)

You can do a global search-and-replace to fix incorrect file path references.

Incidentally, this could be why the problem fixed itself: you could be back to the same file paths you had before.

SteveC
2007-04-02, 04:44
There were no incorrect paths in the playlists - some of them are even new since I moved the library - anyway I hit the menu item problem before even attempting to execute a playlist.

As I said, I suspect the menu problem is somehow caused becuase the perl TEMP directory couldn't be acccessed. I need to know how to move it now. Short of a complete reinstall to see what happens, I'm not sure what to do now.

I have set this up as a perl query on the unix forum now http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34123