PDA

View Full Version : SB3 plays MP3 but not Apple Lossless

konnexion
2007-03-31, 10:11
Strange one this. A friends SB3 was working perfectly for months streaming Apple Lossless files. Now all of a sudden streaming these files does absolutely nothing, no sound, buffer meter never fills but the song is displayed on the SB3 display. If we choose an MP3 file then this plays as expected. It's almost as if Apple lossless has been disabled in some way. Have tried stopping firewalls, AV software etc - same result. Have reset Sb3 to factory default, re-installed SS, re-installed itunes, creted a new user/profile - all to no avail. Any ideas before we re-install the OS ?

Ian

Matt Shelton
2007-03-31, 10:20
I'm having a similar problem. I upgraded to Vista a few weeks ago. Probably 95% of my music is in AAC; 5% is mp3. A large portion of the AAC collection consists of live shows, so I used to enjoy the flawless gap-less playback that my SB3 gave me. Since the upgrade, the SB3 takes up to 10 seconds to access and play a AAC file - which leads to a large gap when playing consecutive AAC files in a live show. However, my mp3 collection plays flawlessly. I haven't been able to figure out what to do. Any thoughts?

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-31, 10:24
Strange one this. A friends SB3 was working perfectly for months streaming Apple Lossless files. Now all of a sudden streaming these files does absolutely nothing, no sound, buffer meter never fills but the song is displayed on the SB3 display. If we choose an MP3 file then this plays as expected. It's almost as if Apple lossless has been disabled in some way. Have tried stopping firewalls, AV software etc - same result. Have reset Sb3 to factory default, re-installed SS, re-installed itunes, creted a new user/profile - all to no avail. Any ideas before we re-install the OS ?

Ian

have a look at
server settings - file types
look at what you have told the server to do with apple lossless or apple aac files, maybe change the decoded stream to something different

konnexion
2007-03-31, 11:52
uS;191663']have a look at
server settings - file types
look at what you have told the server to do with apple lossless or apple aac files, maybe change the decoded stream to something different

Since the device has been reset to Factory Default these, I presume, are set as they should be. Of the three Apple Lossless options two are checked, AL - Flac and AL - WAV, AL - MP3 is unchecked.

Wirrunna
2007-03-31, 14:34
All 17,000 tracks on my server are in Apple Lossless and play perfectly, I just looked at the server settings - file types, the Apple Lossless are the same as yours, for Apple AAC the first two - AIFF and FLAC - are checked, the third is unchecked.

Matt Shelton
2007-03-31, 15:38
Wirruna, what operating system are you using? Vista? I've only had the problem since upgrading to Vista.

Wirrunna
2007-03-31, 16:34
Matt, I'm still on XP SP2.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-01, 09:21
Search the forums for "socketwrapper", there have been issues with it that have cropped up.

The latest nightly should have the fixed socketwrapper.

Also note many of the threads you find will have debugging/diagnosing procedures, d_source for example.

Wirrunna
2007-04-01, 16:53
Properties of a working Socketwrapper on my system:
"Created Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 10:10:20 AM"

bpa
2007-04-01, 17:18
he latest nighlty did not change the relevant socketwrapper code - it just updated the Slimdevices - Logitech notice.

Try using this socketwrapper.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/socketwrapper_0.12_20060220.zip
Unzip and replace socketwrapper.exe.

Also you should put socketwrapper as a trusted app in your security software (firewall, AV, anti IM, anti-spyware)

Background:

Since 6.5.1 Socketwrapper has been used more extensively in trancoding with Slimserver. Prior to 6.5.1 problems with socketwrapper mainly occurred with users of AlienBBC.
Ian Cook created the above version but no source was available so it could not be distributed. I have since reverse engineered it so if required it may be included in the future versions of Slimserver. However I also believe the decision to use socketwrapper in 6.5.1 to solve some other problem may be reviewed.