PDA

View Full Version : Any good tuning guides for slimserver ? Very slow browse response times on Linkstatio

ben2e
2007-03-30, 22:04
I've got Slimserver running on a Gigabit Linkstation (PowerPC) with < 4000 tracks. I've searched for suggestions tuning but only seen lengthy arguments on MySql or Perl. I have some experience with both pieces of software and it's hard to believe either would take 10 seconds to respond to a browse command (browse music folder being the slowest) under any normal circumstance. I realize a linkstation doesn't have a super fast processor but a top command shows very little memory being used. I was hoping someone had posted a tuning guide since it seems there are reasonably savy Linux folks out there.

Thanks,

Ben

ben2e
2007-03-31, 01:46
I just did some simple browse tests and they seem to peg the CPU. %idle goes to 0 and the slimserver process spikes. I've also seen folks mention a my.tt file but I'm unable to find it. I have a slimserver/SQL/mysql directory but I can find no mysql configuration files. Perhaps the version I'm using (6.5.0 I believe) uses SQLite.

erland
2007-03-31, 01:52
I just did some simple browse tests and they seem to peg the CPU. %idle goes to 0 and the slimserver process spikes. I've also seen folks mention a my.tt file but I'm unable to find it. I have a slimserver/SQL/mysql directory but I can find no mysql configuration files. Perhaps the version I'm using (6.5.0 I believe) uses SQLite.

6.5.0 uses MySQL.
The my.tt file is found in slimserver/MySQL directory (not slimserver/SQL/mysql), but I'm not sure if its placed somewhere else on Linkstation.

ben2e
2007-03-31, 09:51
Which is probably why I don't see MySql. I'll have to investigate if there is any way to update things. I'm clumsy with Debian. If I try to install mysql-server-5.0 I get a zillion dependency failures. Perhaps due to FreeLink for the Linkstation being old ? I'll investigate further.

shake-the-disease
2007-05-02, 22:11
Dumb question, but I assume you've split you music into "a/artist/albumn/track", "b/artist/albumn/track" etc?

aubuti
2007-05-02, 22:47
I've got Slimserver running on a Gigabit Linkstation (PowerPC) with < 4000 tracks. I've searched for suggestions tuning but only seen lengthy arguments on MySql or Perl. I have some experience with both pieces of software and it's hard to believe either would take 10 seconds to respond to a browse command (browse music folder being the slowest) under any normal circumstance. <snip>
Basic question here: are you referring to browsing via the web interface or browsing via the remote? I have a similar arrangement, running slimserver 6.5.1 on a gigabit LinkStation with 4000 tracks (3978 to be exact). I get pretty much instantaneous response with the SB remote, whereas the web UI is sluggish. It's not quite as bad as the 10 seconds you cite, but it's slow.

Rendering those pages for the web UI puts a fair strain on the LinkStation processor. If that's where you're having the delays, you can possibly reduce them by using a minimalist skin like "Handheld". If you're getting such long browse times with the remote then something is definitely wrong, although I don't know where to steer you from there.

As a side note, I could be wrong, but I think you'll always find "Browse music folder" to be slower because it's not using the MySQL database built from the tag info. It's traversing the directory tree.