PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I suddenly connect??

azumandus
2007-03-30, 15:07
Hello guys I just wanted to get peoples input on this weird problem.

For some reasons I was having some problems with my laptops connecting wirelessly a couple days ago. I couldn't figure out the problem so I simply reset my router and reconfigured the ssid and password. Everything was working fine except now my SB couldn't connect to my network. This has been going on a few days now and I am getting frustrated. I've even gone so far to remove Mcafee from my computer with no avail. My SB can connect to my router but cannot connect to squeeze network or my library. When the SB finally connects to my router and chooses automatic DCHP I get a IP address that is different from the IP addresses my other computers have (169.254.210.227 and my slimserver is 192.168.15.103). Even the subnet mask is different (255.255.000.000 instead of 255.255.255.000). I don't know what to do anymore anyone have any ideas?

P.S. called tech support they have no idea whats going on?

Ross L
2007-03-30, 15:20
Did tech support talk to you about checking the MAC address of your player? Have you tried connecting the player via Ethernet as a test?

azinck3
2007-03-30, 15:25
Hello guys I just wanted to get peoples input on this weird problem.

For some reasons I was having some problems with my laptops connecting wirelessly a couple days ago. I couldn't figure out the problem so I simply reset my router and reconfigured the ssid and password. Everything was working fine except now my SB couldn't connect to my network. This has been going on a few days now and I am getting frustrated. I've even gone so far to remove Mcafee from my computer with no avail. My SB can connect to my router but cannot connect to squeeze network or my library. When the SB finally connects to my router and chooses automatic DCHP I get a IP address that is different from the IP addresses my other computers have (169.254.210.227 and my slimserver is 192.168.15.103). Even the subnet mask is different (255.255.000.000 instead of 255.255.255.000). I don't know what to do anymore anyone have any ideas?

P.S. called tech support they have no idea whats going on?

Your problem isn't with Mcafee. The 169.x.x.x address space is the fallback when DHCP fails which means that your SB is either not successfully getting past your wireless network's security, the DHCP server is not serving an address properly to the SB, or the SB is faulty somehow.

I'd wire the SB directly to the router to see if it works that way. That'll help us identify better if this is a router/dhcp issue, or a wireless issue.

Another thing to check is to verify the SB's mac address matches the one printed on the bottom of the unit--these have been known to, in unusual circumstances, intermittently reset themselves.

edit: I see Ross beat me to it ;)

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-30, 15:32
When the SB finally connects to my router and chooses automatic DCHP I get a IP address that is different from the IP addresses my other computers have (169.254.210.227 and my slimserver is 192.168.15.103).

A 169 address means it hasn't connected, most likely because the wireless passphrase was wrong.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

azumandus
2007-03-30, 15:45
Yep the mac address is the same as the one printed on the bottom of the unit. Actually when I try to set up Mac filter on the router the SB shows up but without any IP address. I wanted to remind everyone that the SB was working fine for a couple of month...can the wireless card on the SB just crap out like that?

Ross L
2007-03-30, 15:48
Anything is possible, parts fail from time to time. Have you tried disabling encryption (and mac address filtering) temporarily as a test, to see if the player connects then?

If it ends up being a physical problem with the player tech support can issue an RMA for you.

azumandus
2007-03-30, 15:50
Yep...I went with passwords or encryption and it didn't connect...now if I can find that ethernet cable (grumble).

Anne
2007-03-30, 15:54
I had a lot of troubles also, untill I updated the firmware to my brand new router. An example was that every time I assigned the SB3 MAC address to the router, the router crashed ! So, I do not have any MAC filtering on my router now, after the firmware upgrade, scared for life with that stuff...
But, what happened is maybe that when you reset your router, then the router will assign a new IP address to the SB3.
This can be a hassle when you have to reset the router a few times because of problems, the IP for both your computer and the SB3 will change every time , so look at these and put the right IP for the SB3 in the router, and in SlimServer.
You say that it can connect, but not to the internet, so you must look closely at the settings in the router, and allow everything that has to do with the ports it needs, and the SlimServer name, but of course you did this already...
Look at the log in the router after you try to connect and see what happened.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 16:04
If the MAC address of the SB3 is correct then you shouldn't need to specify MAC addresses or IP addresses for anything, your router will do all of that for you.

What router are you using exactly? I'm not 100% clear what you meant by you went with passwords or encryption. Most routers make it fairly easy to disable encryption, after doing that you should try connecting your Squeezebox and let us know what happens.

azumandus
2007-03-30, 16:06
I tried to update my firmware but when I hold the brightness button to begin the upload it simply freezes. LOL what a day.

azumandus
2007-03-30, 16:08
I meant that I simply disabled WAP on my router so I could simply connect. Unfortunately, the SB still couldn't connect.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 16:08
Firmware comes from the server, if the player can't connect to the server then it won't be able to get the new firmware.

The problem you're seeing at the moment is that your player isn't connecting to your network. We'll need to get your player connected to the network before it will do anything, including firmware updates.

Let us know how it goes disabling encryption, and if you manage to find an Ethernet cable.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 16:10
I meant that I simply disabled WAP on my router so I could simply connect. Unfortunately, the SB still couldn't connect.

I take it you meant WPA? What is the make / model number of the router you're using? What is your SSID (wireless network name)?

azumandus
2007-03-30, 16:12
My router is a WRT54G (for vonage service). My ssid is simply Bachman...(I know I ran out of ideas).

azumandus
2007-03-30, 16:15
correction my router is a Linsky WRTP54G to be used with vonage service.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 16:19
My router is a WRT54G (for vonage service). My ssid is simply Bachman...(I know I ran out of ideas).

I only asked your SSID to make sure it was something other than the default. Often times people don't change their SSID, then when connecting to 'default' they experience problems. This can happen due to multiple access points using the same SSID, it can be confusing. Your SSID is perfect.

First, the WRT54G is not a vonage router... Linksys makes vonage routers and they make 10 versions of the WRT54G. You might want to consider finding out which version you have, then downloading the latest firmware and updating your router. Best way I've found to do this is by going to http://www.linksys.com and clicking downloads from the top, then searching for WRT54G; there they will have instructions on how to identify which version you have, and the appropriate firmware along with installation instructions.

When you've disabled wireless encryption, and disabled mac address filtering, and you try to connect to your network, what error message do you get exactly? You'll probably want to try the firmware update, and triple check your routers security settings to ensure that mac address filtering and encryption are both disabled. You'll want the network 100% open, if the Squeezebox still fails to connect then the problem is the player. If this is the case please email support AT slimdevices DOT com and ask for an RMA, go ahead and link to this thread to save keystrokes.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 16:24
correction my router is a Linsky WRTP54G to be used with vonage service.

Ahh! Only one version of that router, and no updated firmware. In this case if you're 100% sure the router is open and the Squeezebox is failing to connect, then I believe an RMA is in order.

I would hate to have you send the player in for a repair / exchange only to find the issue wasn't the player. I would urge you to check MAC address filtering and encryption settings on your router. Perhaps even try to connect some other wireless device and ensure that it can connect with no key, do you have a notebook computer or something else with a wireless adapter?

azumandus
2007-03-30, 16:31
O.K I got the ethernet cable. It worked fine but only after I selected my computer name instead of the IP address if that makes any sense.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 16:34
Great. You've successfully identified this to be a wireless issue. Either the problem is the wireless adapter in your SB3, or the problem is router configuration.

Let us know how the other wireless testing goes.

Anne
2007-03-30, 16:36
With the ethernet cable, and the SB3 attached you can update the firmware for the SB3, dont do this via wireless. This just to be sure the SB3 actually accepted the previous firmware....
Not sure what happened to me, but before I upgraded the firmware via ethernet cable my SB3 could receive commands from SlimServer, but the return path was not functioning, and the player shut itself off all the time.

azumandus
2007-03-30, 16:41
O.K tried to connect via another wireless signal and it connected...it didn't connect to my library but the SB did receive a proper IP address that looked normal.

Ross L
2007-03-30, 17:49
O.K tried to connect via another wireless signal and it connected...it didn't connect to my library but the SB did receive a proper IP address that looked normal.

So you have another Squeezebox? I'm a little confused. What else are you testing with? What IP address did this other wireless device obtain?

Ross L
2007-03-30, 18:09
Do you mean you tried to connect your SB3 to a wireless network other than your own and that succeeded? If so, please try to connect to Squeeze Network, does that work?