PDA

View Full Version : Time to pick up another SB. $229 shipped.

<insert name here>
2007-03-29, 10:31
Slim Devices have the wireless SqueezeBox version 3 in White for $249. It's listed on their web site under Spring White Sale. The Black model is still at the retail price of $299. Use promotion code LIVE365 for a further $20 discount. Free shipping.

EnochLight
2007-03-29, 20:07
Nice find on the e-coupon. I'm miffed now, as I just bid on a used one on eBay before I saw that the old white ones were on sale. I need a second for my baby's room. D'oh!

*crosses fingers that I lose the auction*

JJZolx
2007-03-29, 20:15
Nice find on the e-coupon. I'm miffed now, as I just bid on a used one on eBay before I saw that the old white ones were on sale. I need a second for my baby's room. D'oh!

*crosses fingers that I lose the auction*

I wonder how many people are going to be miffed when the Logitech Squeezebox 430 hits the shelves at Wal-Mart for $138.88?

haunyack
2007-03-29, 20:37
I wonder how many people are going to be miffed when the Logitech Squeezebox 430 hits the shelves at Wal-Mart for $138.88?

Huh?

Logitech Squeezebox 430?

I suppose the "430" indicates the number of install attempts until one finds stability in the server software.

andy_c
2007-03-29, 22:20
Huh?

Logitech Squeezebox 430?

I suppose the "430" indicates the number of install attempts until one finds stability in the server software.

No, that's the minimum number of days that elapse between the time you report a bug and the time it gets fixed.

Patches welcome.

SumnerBoy
2007-03-29, 22:40
At that price (with the discount) I simply *had* to get a second SB3!! Not sure where I will put it yet, but I know I will find a home somewhere.

I am in NZ and at the moment the NZD is very strong - so this is an even better deal for me!

EnochLight
2007-03-30, 05:55
Huh?

Logitech Squeezebox 430?

No, that's the minimum number of days that elapse between the time you report a bug and the time it gets fixed.

Patches welcome.

http://nympheas.org/pictures/threadhijack.jpg

Errr... a little bitter, gentlemen? Sorry to hear your troubles - I've never had issue with SlimServer's stabilty, and any bugs that have troubled me are either so minor I don't notice or fixed much sooner than you seem to think.

Be that as it may, $229 shipped isn't a bad deal for the wireless S3, even if it does come in white only.

Please hijack someone else's thread. ;-)

haunyack
2007-03-30, 07:46
http://nympheas.org/pictures/threadhijack.jpg

Errr... a little bitter, gentlemen? Sorry to hear your troubles - I've never had issue with SlimServer's stabilty, and any bugs that have troubled me are either so minor I don't notice or fixed much sooner than you seem to think.

Be that as it may, $229 shipped isn't a bad deal for the wireless S3, even if it does come in white only.

Please hijack someone else's thread. ;-)

Cute.

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-30, 12:51
Nice find. Now to start my matching white active speakers thread. It's for the kitchen, so not so bad.

For the server concerns, I'm running 6.5.2 nightly from the weekened and its working really well for me (but - of course - I don't use iTunes).

Pale Blue Ego
2007-03-30, 14:42
uS;191464']Nice find. Now to start my matching white active speakers thread.

The highly-regarded Aego-M (US$200) and Audioengine5 (US$349) are both available in white.

shadowboxer
2007-03-30, 14:48
Wow, thanks for the heads up!

SB3 number 4 on the way. Gonna "retire" my SB1 to my office in the garage.

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-30, 16:09
The highly-regarded Aego-M (US$200) and Audioengine5 (US$349) are both available in white.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've seen references to both in the several threads on active or powered speakers and they do look good. I am just wondering whether this is too good for the kitchen !!

shadowboxer
2007-03-30, 20:03
uS;191516']Thanks for the heads-up. I've seen references to both in the several threads on active or powered speakers and they do look good. I am just wondering whether this is too good for the kitchen !!

My audioengine 5s are in the kitchen -- they look fine & they sound fine, too!

notanatheist
2007-03-30, 22:20
uS;191464']Nice find. Now to start my matching white active speakers thread. It's for the kitchen, so not so bad.

I scored a find at a local used hi-fi shop for some Monitor Audio "Baby Boomers" or something along those lines. They are a perfect match for the white SB. Just pick up a Sonic T-amp if you can't find adequate active speakers. Now I just have to snap a pic to post in the other thread.

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-31, 10:41
My audioengine 5s are in the kitchen -- they look fine & they sound fine, too!

I figured they would, just pricey !

Turns out there was iPod Hi-Fi for sale second hand in the neighbourhood and I took it to be a sign that I was *meant* to use that for matching the white SB3. It was 200 (RRP 349) - in perfect condition. I did think about Aego-M, but the it will work better for the room to have single unit (Wife Acceptance ...), rather than large sub and two satellite speakers (unlike in the computer room, where that is now ear-marked as possible future purchase).

Thanks for the tips.

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-02, 03:18
Impressive. Ordered on Friday. Arrived in Ireland Monday morning. Also, UPS sent prompt emails, keeping me informed of the start of their process and of delivery. They even beat the mailroom in passing on news of its arrival.

TiredLegs
2007-04-02, 09:42
The mid-1990s Sony portable CD player I've been using on the shelf above my workbench has been making mechanical grinding noises. The white sale was just the thing to push me into another SB3.

shadowboxer
2007-04-11, 09:37
Got my white SB in. The front is silver and black, only the sides and back are white. Plus the remote is white too. I kinda like it! Also, definitely a wife pleaser.

Gee. Now, I just may order me a pair of the AudioEngine 5s in white to go with it!

crooner
2007-04-11, 12:12
I wonder if an all new SB4 is just around the corner. I remember they discounted the SB2 right before the SB3 was announced.

I expect the SB4 to have trickle down technology from the Transporter.

JJZolx
2007-04-11, 12:32
I wonder if an all new SB4 is just around the corner. I remember they discounted the SB2 right before the SB3 was announced.

I expect the SB4 to have trickle down technology from the Transporter.

I'd be willing to bet there's at least one new product that will be released soon. I don't know how much of the Transporter you can expect to trickle down. From an operational standpoint there isn't much to the Transporter beyond the 2nd display and front controls. I don't expect to see any of that or the digital inputs on a Squeezebox replacement.

I expect a device that's more integrated, so cheaper to manufacture than the SB3. A return to at least one external antenna to correct the all-internal antenna mistake of the SB3. Maybe they'll also eliminate the wired-only SB from the product line, as the demand is undoubtedly much lower and the price difference will be less. Maybe some marginal increase in processor speed and/or buffer size. Not much else.

crooner
2007-04-11, 12:46
I was expecting some of the Walt Jung regulator technology and perhaps an improved DAC and analog output stage on the new SB4. But this would undoubtely increase the price beyond the $299 target point.

Oh, and BTW I don't see the wired SB on Slim's website anymore. Perhaps they did drop it...

JJZolx
2007-04-11, 12:54
I was expecting some of the Walt Jung regulator technology and perhaps an improved DAC and analog output stage on the new SB4. But this would undoubtely increase the price beyond the $299 target point. I don't think Logitech would be happy with that!

I doubt $299 is the target price point. To be competitive in the consumer market for this type of device, and to grow market share, then it needs to be $150-$200 at most, and the lower the better.

Someone from SD mentioned that the Logitech branded devices won't be sold initially in big-box stores, so maybe they'll continue selling the SB3 for a bit and wait to go into those stores when they have a more consumer-oriented (read: native Windows) software client available. I imagine there's some Indian or Russian software shop full of $10/hour programmers working feaverishly right now on that software.

crooner
2007-04-11, 13:01
Yeah Jim, that's kinda sad isn't it?

I think I'll hang on to my newly acquired SB2, because this is surely to become a collector's item in the future. I thought about putting the guts in a new case, but perhaps I should leave it as it is!

For a moment, and perhaps because of the $2000 Transporter, I didn't think about the SB's competition priced at $150 or so and available at your local Fry's.

I wonder how long is going to be before we see a Logitech Squeezebox derivative at Fry's or Walmart...

Pale Blue Ego
2007-04-11, 13:12
I'd like to see:

A $199 SB3 equivalent using Logitech's component cost and manufacturing advantages.

A $399 or $499 SB4 with the TP's DAC, better analog section, and linear power supply. It could be the same form factor as the SB3 to keep the price down.

If they could get 90% of the TP's sound quality into the SB4 at a reasonable price, that would be fantastic.

Then drop the price on the Transporter to $1500 and add a full-width display.

crooner
2007-04-11, 13:15
Excellent!
I'd the first to preorder the SB4!

(well, I can always dream...)

I'd like to see:

A $199 SB3 equivalent using Logitech's component cost and manufacturing advantages.

A $399 or $499 SB4 with the TP's DAC, better analog section, and linear power supply. It could be the same form factor as the SB3 to keep the price down.

If they could get 90% of the TP's sound quality into the SB4 at a reasonable price, that would be fantastic.

Ur[s]uS
2007-04-11, 13:51
Apart from speakers - not alot of Logitech branded produce in Irish shops. But I spotted their Wireless DJ Music System in Dixons at the weekend. I've seen a few Soundbridges in Peats, but never an SB3.

My money is on boombox featured SB3 or dedicated powered speakers bundle. Also, improved Harmony remote linkage or bundle.

y360
2007-04-12, 00:52
A return to at least one external antenna to correct the all-internal antenna mistake of the SB3.

Curious, why was that a mistake ?

Marc Sherman
2007-04-12, 06:49
y360 wrote:
> JJZolx;194222 Wrote:
>> A return to at least one external antenna to correct the all-internal
>> antenna mistake of the SB3.
>
> Curious, why was that a mistake ?

Without an external antenna, you can't fiddle the antenna direction* to
improve marginal reception, and you can't replace it with a higher gain
antenna either.

* Well, you can reorient the entire SB3, but then you might end up
having to choose between good reception and being able to see the screen.

- Marc

EnochLight
2007-04-12, 17:05
Nevertheless, I prefer the internal antenna to an external - looks 10X cleaner. That said, it would be nice if they included a port in the back to add your own antenna for those who need marginal reception improvements. At least those users could tuck the antenna away from the actual Squeezebox and keep that clean look.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-14, 18:51
Maybe they'll also eliminate the wired-only SB from the product line, as the demand is undoubtedly much lower and the price difference will be less.

They did that months ago, see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32039

This would be tricky - they'd have to change current VFD suppliers as this is the widest they make (although they do make taller ones).

There aren't many VFD suppliers out there so I'm not sure if wider ones are even available from any supplier.

<insert name here>
2007-05-21, 10:34
One week left on this offer - ends May 28th.

EnochLight
2007-05-26, 14:02
I just ordered a 2nd for the baby's room, and my friend ordered one too! Should get them on the 29th...

w00t!