PDA

View Full Version : iTunes, Sound Check and Volume Adjustment.

mcslim
2007-03-28, 22:31
When I imported 5600 songs into iTunes, a volume adjustment called "Sound Check" was added to each track. Unfortunately, playback with "Sound Check" enabled in the "Playback" preferences sounds like crap. Even if I disable "Sound Check" in the "Playback" preferences in iTunes, SB still pays attention to this adjustment if "Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain" is chosen in the player settings.

So, why don't I just not enable "Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain" in the player settings? Well, because I want to to take advantage of the manual volume adjustment I make in iTunes with the volume slider.

So, is there any way that SB can differentiate between the two volume adjustments? Paying attenion to either the manual slider or the "Sound Check" adjustment?

As far as I know, you cannot strip the "Sound Check" volume adjustment from songs.

Many many thanks.

moley6knipe
2007-03-29, 04:25
iTunes adds Sound Check info as a tag (certainly if you're dealing with mp3's like me). So if you could find a tag editor that can read this tag, you could remove them all in one go, I guess. I use TagScanner and Tag & Rename but sadly neither of those can read this tag, unless someone else knows different?

mcslim
2007-03-29, 06:37
iTunes adds Sound Check info as a tag (certainly if you're dealing with mp3's like me). So if you could find a tag editor that can read this tag, you could remove them all in one go, I guess. I use TagScanner and Tag & Rename but sadly neither of those can read this tag, unless someone else knows different?

My files are all Apple Lossless. But thanks. My understanding is that no one has beenm able to remove or identify the appropriate tags for Sound Check.

SteveEast
2007-03-29, 08:05
I believe the tag is ITUNNORM and it certainly shows (and can be deleted) with mp3tag.

Steve.

mcslim
2007-03-29, 08:52
I believe the tag is ITUNNORM and it certainly shows (and can be deleted) with mp3tag.

Steve.

I am on a Mac system. My understanding is that mp3tag only works on PCs.

SteveEast
2007-03-29, 19:14
You could try this for Mac:

http://www.sbooth.org/Tag/

I know less than nothing about it. Perhaps someone has some recommendations for a Mac tagger?

Steve.

Eric Seaberg
2007-03-29, 22:58
I am on a Mac system. My understanding is that mp3tag only works on PCs.

Check out iVolume at <http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/>. It works GREAT at keeping all of your tunes at the same volume. This does NOT change anything within your lossless file, only the TAG info that SB can read and compensate for. I don't think the volume adjustment slider changes ANYTHING that Slim can read as it's probably an 'Apple only tag'.

mcslim
2007-03-30, 08:54
Check out iVolume at <http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/>. It works GREAT at keeping all of your tunes at the same volume. This does NOT change anything within your lossless file, only the TAG info that SB can read and compensate for. I don't think the volume adjustment slider changes ANYTHING that Slim can read as it's probably an 'Apple only tag'.

Thanks Eric. Funny thing is I discovered iVolume last night, and proccessed my library through it last night. It definitely does a better job than Sound Check. It even allows the user to get the songs back to 0dB with some tweaking.

Still wish there were a way to strip Sound Check values (but that's Apple's issue) or a way in SB to differentiate between Sound Check's dB values and the volume adjustments made with the manual slider in iTunes "Info"...not sure SB can do that or not.

Appreciate it!