Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJZolx
    • Apr 2005

Logitech Branding

Is there any chance that those of use who have Slim Devices branded components could avoid having them retroactively branded "Logitech" by new firmware and software? Use a serial number, MAC address... something.
  • dean
    Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices
    • Apr 2005

Since there will be Logitech branded players on the shelves in stores soon, we need to move to that brand for the software as well.

Future firmware upgrades will add Logitech branding to the boot screen and future slimserver upgrades will add Logitech branding to the web interface. You could avoid software upgrades, but you wouldn't get bug fixes and new features.

New look, same great taste!

Comment

• GoCubs
      • Apr 2005

Resistance is futile!

-Greg

Comment

• Kyle
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dean
        Since there will be Logitech branded players on the shelves in stores soon ...
        Dean, are these going to be in wide distribution (ie big box stores) or specialty audio shops?
        Regards,
        Jim

Comment

• Mitch Harding

Logitech Branding

I'm assuming since this will be in the software that it will be true both of
          Squeezebox and Transporter?

On 3/27/07, dean <dean.2o4d8z1175024701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Since there will be Logitech branded players on the shelves in stores
          > soon, we need to move to that brand for the software as well.
          >
          > Future firmware upgrades will add Logitech branding to the boot screen
          > and future slimserver upgrades will add Logitech branding to the web
          > interface. You could avoid software upgrades, but you wouldn't get bug
          > fixes and new features.
          >
          > New look, same great taste!
          >
          >
          > --
          > dean
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > dean's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2
          > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33966
          >
          >

Comment

• Mitch Harding

Logitech Branding

As long as they're still sold directl online, it shouldn't hurt anything to
            also have them available at Best Buy. Or anyway I don't see the downside...

On 3/27/07, GoCubs <GoCubs.2o4emz1175026501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
            wrote:
            >
            >
            > Kyle;190675 Wrote:
            > > Dean, are these going to be in wide distribution (ie big box stores) or
            > > specialty audio shops?

> In another post Dean referred them as "some major retailers". Please
            > not be Best Buy! I'm already mad enough at BestBuy for acquiring
            > SpeakEasy today.
            >
            > -Greg
            >
            >
            > --
            > GoCubs
            > GoCubs's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=312
            >
            >

Comment

• GoCubs
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kyle
              Dean, are these going to be in wide distribution (ie big box stores) or specialty audio shops?
              In another post Dean referred them as "some major retailers". Please not be Best Buy! I'm already mad enough at BestBuy for acquiring SpeakEasy today.

-Greg

Comment

• Robin Bowes

Logitech Branding

JJZolx wrote:
                > Is there any chance that those of use who have Slim Devices branded
                > components could avoid having them retroactively branded "Logitech" by
                > new firmware and software? Use a serial number, MAC address...
                > something.

Are you really *that* bothered?

R.

Comment

• GoCubs
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mitch Harding
                  As long as they're still sold directl online, it shouldn't hurt anything to
                  also have them available at Best Buy. Or anyway I don't see the downside...
                  I'm just worried about the forums being overrun by people of a different mindset. If they're going to be more mass market I'd prefer to see them sold somewhere like CompUSA or MicroCenter.

-Greg

Comment

• Mitch Harding

Logitech Branding

I doubt the mass market people will find the forums the best avenue for
                    support. The forums seem more aimed for more technically savvy people. I
                    imagine telephone and e-mail support will get the bulk of the general
                    support requests.

My feeling is that the more products they sell, the more money they have to
                    improve the product and create new products.

On 3/27/07, GoCubs <GoCubs.2o4fbz1175027401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
                    wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    > Mitch Harding;190683 Wrote:
                    > > As long as they're still sold directl online, it shouldn't hurt anything
                    > > to
                    > > also have them available at Best Buy. Or anyway I don't see the
                    > > downside...
                    > >

> I'm just worried about the forums being overrun by people of a
                    > different mindset. If they're going to be more mass market I'd prefer
                    > to see them sold somewhere like CompUSA or MicroCenter.
                    >
                    > -Greg
                    >
                    >
                    > --
                    > GoCubs
                    > GoCubs's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=312
                    >
                    >

Comment

• Ben Sandee

Logitech Branding

On 3/27/07, JJZolx <JJZolx.2o4d0n1175024401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
                      wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      > Is there any chance that those of use who have Slim Devices branded
                      > components could avoid having them retroactively branded "Logitech" by
                      > new firmware and software? Use a serial number, MAC address...
                      > something.

I hope not. What a ridiculous thing for them to spend time worrying about.

Ben

Comment

• HarleyMYK
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mitch Harding
                        My feeling is that the more products they sell, the more money they have to improve the product and create new products
                        and/or reduce the price ;-)

Comment

• sander
                          • Mar 2007

I'm curious to see if they're going to introduce other form factors too. There was some guy who's sig file said something to the effect of "I used to want a Slim Server boom box" but I've been interested in something like that.

Comment

• Michael Herger
                            Babelfish's Best Boy
                            • Apr 2005

Logitech Branding

> There was some guy who's sig file said something to the effect of "I
                            > used to want a Slim Server boom box" but I've been interested in
                            > something like that.

That was MeSue - she once explained why she didn't need that boombox any
                            longer. No hidden announcement :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                            http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
                            http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                            (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• bobharp
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Michael Herger
                              > - she once explained why she didn't need that boombox any
                              longer. No hidden announcement :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                              http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
                              http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR
                              Are you jerking our chain(s)??
                              Bob Harper

Comment

Working...