PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server Service Names

RossGoodman
2007-03-26, 13:56
I have Slim Server 6.5.1 installed on my laptop, I know it's weird, but I like SlimServer and SoftSqueeze.
As It's my laptop I don't like spurious stuff starting unless it's required. I have two services "SlimServer" and "SlimServerMySQL". I set both of these services to manual to ensure that they do not run automatically.

When I use the icon to start Slimserver, it starts the MySQL service but not the SlimServer service. Everything seems to be working. Am I missing something?

Ross

bpa
2007-03-26, 14:06
The MySQL will always be runs as a service and it will be started by Slimserver. Slimserver will only be run as a service when it is started automatically at startup or at login.

If the user has used SlimTray to configure Slimserver not to start Automatically and then the user starts Slimserver using SlimTray, Slimserver will be run as a detached process of the user not as a service.

JJZolx
2007-03-26, 14:58
The MySQL will always be runs as a service and it will be started by Slimserver. Slimserver will only be run as a service when it is started automatically at startup or at login.

I believe that if started at login it will be a user process, not the service that is running.

If the user has used SlimTray to configure Slimserver not to start Automatically and then the user starts Slimserver using SlimTray, Slimserver will be run as a detached process of the user not as a service.

Yeah, the Windows SlimServer/SlimTray installation is royally screwed up in 6.5.1 and guaranteed to cause confusion exactly like this.

In the end SlimServer _should_ be running when started from SlimTray - just that it's not the SlimServer service that is running.

RossGoodman
2007-03-26, 16:02
Thanks for that, I understand now.

Cheers