PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Bridge and home working

DAL
2007-03-26, 03:48
Hi All,

Just bought a SB3 and have to say I am very impressed !

A quick question re the Wireless Bridge feature. If I buy another wireless SB3 for a remote room could I plug my laptop via Ethernet in to the SB3 and use it to access the Internet for home working via my wireless ADSL Router?

I know the manual says you can connect home gaming but I would like to VPN to my work email using this feature.

Thanks in advance
D.

mherger
2007-03-26, 03:59
> A quick question re the Wireless Bridge feature. If I buy another
> wireless SB3 for a remote room could I plug my laptop via Ethernet in
> to the SB3 and use it to access the Internet for home working via my
> wireless ADSL Router?

Your "another SB" is confusing me... this is already possible with the
first SB?!?

The idea of the bridging feature is to allow a non-wireless device connect
to a wireless network. Whether this is a gaming console or your business
laptop doesn't matter. (some have even been bridging their slimserver
machine through a SB to the rest of the network - which isn't good for
your performance, but does work).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

DAL
2007-03-26, 04:11
Thanks, Misworded the addtional SB3 interms of putting it a different room to my first unit, but as you say I could plug the laptop in to either of my SB3's

This is great news for me.

Cheers
D.

4mula1
2007-03-26, 06:57
A quick note about bridging is that by default it is not enabled. Once you have a device plugged into the ethernet port you will have to run the network configuration on the Squeezebox again and the option to enable bridging will show up. Once bridging is on you won't have to run the config to enable it again.

bogomipz
2007-04-26, 13:54
some have even been bridging their slimserver machine through a SB to the rest of the network - which isn't good for your performance, but does work

Why is this bad for performance? This should rather be an optimal configuration. The SB has direct connection to the server, and the server can once in a while be accessed through SSH over the bridged wireless network.

Do the packets between server and SB go out over the wireless and back because the SB is too stupid to realize this is not necessary? If that's the case, would it be possible to fix this in the firmware?

Also, does choosing "Connect to an ethernet network" make any difference since the SlimServer is at the other end of the ethernet? And does wireless bridging then work at all?

Thanks

seanadams
2007-04-26, 14:26
Why is this bad for performance? This should rather be an optimal configuration. The SB has direct connection to the server, and the server can once in a while be accessed through SSH over the bridged wireless network.

That's correct, this is wired to the server, so it is ideal in terms of the connectivity between the server and the SB.

Do the packets between server and SB go out over the wireless and back because the SB is too stupid to realize this is not necessary? If that's the case, would it be possible to fix this in the firmware?

No, the bridge is smart and send packets to the right place. That is, by definition, what bridges do. If it didn't send them to the right place, it would get stuck in a loop because the packets would just come right back and it wouldn't know what to do with them any better than it did the first time around!

Also, does choosing "Connect to an ethernet network" make any difference since the SlimServer is at the other end of the ethernet? And does wireless bridging then work at all?

If you choose "Connect to Ethernet" then you will bypass all the wireless settings, so no bridging is possible and it won't be offered.

bogomipz
2007-04-26, 23:50
No, the bridge is smart and send packets to the right place. That is, by definition, what bridges do. If it didn't send them to the right place, it would get stuck in a loop because the packets would just come right back and it wouldn't know what to do with them any better than it did the first time around!

Thanks, good to know. I see now that since it has to be smart about the packets coming in over wireless, there's no reason why it should be stupid about the ones coming from ethernet.

I moved my server from my wireless router to the SB last night, and will run like this for two reasons:

1) The broadband connection in my apartment is placed in the bed room. This means that my wireless router also sits there, and because of hard drive noise I have been forced to power down my SlimServer at night. Moving the server to my SB in the living room should allow it to run 24/7.

2) Once in a while the wireless strength has been too weak for the SB to stream smoothly.

By the way, there's one little glitch in the network setup wizard on the SB3 (firmware 72) that made me move the server back and forth a couple of times. The option for enabling wireless bridging comes after "Connect to SlimServer", which means that there is no way to enable bridging while the server is connected to the ethernet port. To make it work, I had to move the server back to the wireless router and connect a random computer to the ethernet port before I was able to turn bridging on. Then I could remove the dummy computer, move the server to the SB again, and continue my life. I would think this whole issue would disappear if the bridging option was before "Connect to SlimServer" in the network setup.