PDA

View Full Version : Using a PDA to run Slimserver?

peter.g.whitehouse@ntlworld.com
2007-03-25, 15:30
My first post so please excuse any incorrect use of language.

I've got a NAS device (Buffalo Terastation) which doesn't have Slimserver installed and I don't particularly want to get into re-programming the unit. I've managed to get my PDA (Ipaq 2210) to control my PC using terminal services but I'd like to be able to stream music from the Terastation to the Squeezebox without having to turn on the PC.

Is it possible to run Slimserver (or something like it) on the PDA to pull the music from the Terastation and stream it to the Squeezebox?

Help gratefully received.

Thank you

amcluesent
2007-03-26, 14:20
>Is it possible to run Slimserver (or something like it) on the PDA<

Nope. Slimserver is only supported on Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD and Solaris.

azinck3
2007-03-26, 14:26
My first post so please excuse any incorrect use of language.

I've got a NAS device (Buffalo Terastation) which doesn't have Slimserver installed and I don't particularly want to get into re-programming the unit. I've managed to get my PDA (Ipaq 2210) to control my PC using terminal services but I'd like to be able to stream music from the Terastation to the Squeezebox without having to turn on the PC.

Is it possible to run Slimserver (or something like it) on the PDA to pull the music from the Terastation and stream it to the Squeezebox?

Help gratefully received.

Thank you

I'd hate to say it's impossible--people have done some pretty amazing things on limited hardware--but I'd venture to guess it'd be an incredibly difficult and miserable experience. For starters, slimserver's typical memory footprint is between 50 and 80 megabytes.

peter.g.whitehouse@ntlworld.com
2007-03-28, 13:23
Amcluesent and Azinck3 - thank you for your replies