PDA

View Full Version : Play back Real Audio

TurnipMan
2007-03-24, 06:14
Hi,
I have noted that it is possible to grab the BBC listen again RA streams with mplayer with a command like this..

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile jam.ra -bandwidth 10000000 rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/comedy/fri1830.ra

I know I can convert this stream to MP3 and then play it back on my wonderfull SB, but is there any way of tweaking the config to get mplayer to stream the out put to my SB.

Thanks

Tom

bpa
2007-03-24, 06:21
Have you tried AlienBBC for Listen Again which transcodes on the fly or is it you want to play back RA files as well on the SB ?

TurnipMan
2007-03-24, 06:26
bpa,
Yes I use Alien BBC all the time and it's great but when I'm on holiday or whatever I can get someone else to grab the stream for me before the week is up.
I would then like to be able to play the .ra file back directly on my SB without converting it to another format.

Tom

bpa
2007-03-24, 06:59
You have two choices

1. Save the audio stream in MP3 (or another format) using the following commands. If you are using Linux you can pipe output of one into the other.

mplayer -af volume=0,resample=44100:0:1,channels=2 -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=jam.wav rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/comedy/fri1830.ra
lame -r -x jam.wav jam.mp3

2. Set Slimserver up to play RA file - see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33855

I'm a bit suspicious about mplayer dumpstream as it doesn't always write the RealMedia file header properly.

TurnipMan
2007-03-24, 07:35
bpa,
Thanks I edited both the custom-convert.conf and the custom-types.conf files and it works. But when I look in server/filetypes it does not list ra as a type but there are some blank entries instead. Have I missed something?
I copied the rtsp lines and change rtsp to ra and added
ra ra ? audio
to the custom-types.conf

If I want to convert to MP3 currently I use mplayer to dump the ra as a wav file and then edit that to get rid of the continuity announcements and trailers. It is good to know that I can convert directly to mp3 if I want though.

Tom

bpa
2007-03-24, 09:03
I forgot you need a string translation for a new filetype. The easiest way is to edit Alien/Plugin.pm (use Wordpad if you are using windows).

Find the lines (around line 1646)

RTSP
EN RTSP

Copy them and change RTSP to RA. Make sure there is only a single TAB character before EN and after EN. If you want on the second line you can say what you want such as RealAudio instead of RA

TurnipMan
2007-03-24, 10:34
Terrific. That worked.
I'll just have to remember to do that each time I install Slimserver.

Thanks for your help.